1. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Currently Reading::
    NOTHING! Because who can stand to read and write at the same time?!

Establishing a Family Cemetery In New York State (Modern)

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Gravy, Apr 9, 2021.

In my story, I realized it would be best for my characters to have a family cemetery set up and I wondering how they can do it on their private property in New York State. On maybe about 20 acres of land. I haven't figured out if they are going to cremate or embalm yet, but I am sure that changes matters. But I am leaning towards half and half.

Does anyone know the statutes pertaining to these matters and/the step-by-step guide so I can make it realistic?

Also, this story takes place in 2020 and so it's a modern story. For various reasons, it's better their bodies are not buried in other cemeteries.

2. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  3. Friedrich Kugelschreiber

Friedrich Kugelschreiber marshmallow Contributor

4. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

The story takes place in 2020, but will your characters be the first to be buried in this cemetery? I grew up in Connecticut, adjacent to New York. There are old, family cemeteries all across the state. Many of them have been abandoned by the families (or all living relatives have died off), so some of them have fallen into disrepair due to lack of maintenance and care, while I believe some others have been maintained by the towns in which they are located.

I don't know if this provides anything of use to you: https://www.dos.ny.gov/cnsl/cemreg.html

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  5. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

I think that people were first buried there in the 1970's. And yeah, the graveyard is going to upkept properly.

And thank you for the government link!

6. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

7. Ellen_Hall

Ellen_Hall Active Member

Twenty acres?! How big is the family?

8. Gravy

Gravy Senior Member

Well, each grave is 6 feet and I have planned 3 burials in there so far and it's supposed to have room for at least 7 more. So... I think 20 feet may be too little.

9. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

6 feet? Is the length, width, or depth?

I'm not in New York state, but I do live in a small, old town. Down the hill from me is one of three old cemeteries in town. I think the town owns all three -- I know the town owns the one near me. A number of years ago it had reached capacity, so they added a section. They had a surveyor lay it out, but then he died and the originals of the layout disappeared. All the town had was one print, on paper.

I volunteered to redraw it, in AutoCAD (the major computer drafting program), and give the digital file to the town. I still have a copy of the file on my computer, so I just opened it up to check. Each plot is 11 feet long by 39 inches wide -- and there is NO space between plots.

The new section includes 866 individual plots. The entire area of the new section is just slightly over 1 acre. That includes a 12-foot wide loop road that runs through the section.

Gravy likes this.