1. Shane Grayson

Shane Grayson New Member

Ever feel that reading is lazy?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shane Grayson, Jul 1, 2012.

Hi everyone!

So, I have recently come across a dilemma: When I read, I feel as thought I am being unproductive. I have been trying to read some of Franz Kafka's works, but every time I sit down I feel as though I should be doing something else, something more productive. I am sure this is because I am not working at the moment, but in between looking for work, I want to read.

Do you ever get this feel? That, you should be doing more with your time than just reading? I think I am going crazy :(

2. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Some of it depends on what I'm reading. If it is chick lit fluff (titles that I can finish in less than two hours), read for the sheer frivolity of it, then yes, I consider that lazy reading. But Franz Kafka, anything non-fiction, weightier fiction and high fantasy, I don't consider lazy. It is hard to describe, but the process of breaking down the information becomes more tangible, almost three dimensional. I see the words on the page, but that is not where I am, I am in the middle of the author's world, the situation laid out in the words. Does that make any sense? If it does then, I would consider reading more interactive. Just because you stay in one spot, not doing the dishes or finishing the laundry, doe not mean it is lazy. Reading is exercise for the brain, and just like muscles, it, too, needs the workout.

- Darkkin

3. killbill

killbill Member

I think the key words in your post are "not working at the moment". I think you feel guilty somehow, not because you think reading is lazy... but because you enjoy reading. And you feel that you shouldn't be enjoying but searching for work. Yes, I do feel guilty enjoying a book sometimes, specially when my wife thinks I am working :)

4. Shane Grayson

Shane Grayson New Member

@Darkkin Oh, I read actively :p I am still reading with pen in hand :)

@Killbill I think you hit it right on the nose. That, even though Kafka, as Darkkin mentioned is "weightier fiction", I am still in some way working. I mean, hell, I hope at some point I can become a writer, and in doing so I need to read, but even though I am reading critically I still can't feel comfortable with it :(

5. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Nothing wrong with taking a break and enjoying yourself. Why should it be "lazy" to do something that you enjoy? You are only lazy if you do not do what you are meant to do - but there's a fine line, because resting is just as important as working. And reading is very productive - it makes you think, analyse, critique, works your imagination, it keeps your mind working and active and not rusting over with mould.

6. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I don't believe it's lazy , especially not for a writer ( unless you're procrastinating on your writing. ) Besides, it's probably better to open a book and read something , than 'waste' it on a t.v. show.

7. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I don't feel that reading is lazy at all. A dedicated reader develops many skills --a wide vocabulary, the ability to put yourself in another's shoes, improved grammar and spelling, the ability to use context clues and critical thinking to solve problems, and a broad understanding of a variety of topics.

Reading is a passive activity and may seem fun and easy, but just like practicing an instrument or writing or working, there are plenty of benefits.

8. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

No. I've never felt reading to be lazy. I prefer to do it over more 'active' things. The mind needs as much exercise as other parts of the body, as someone else has already said.

9. amecylia

amecylia New Member

I sometimes do feel lazy when reading! Mainly when I get too drawn into the words, and find that a few hours/days have passed me by. Or when I have work to do that I am procrastinating doing. One of my solutions is to set a "time" for reading. For example, I will read one chapter for every 2 hours of writing that I do. This way, I'm still productive, my brain is having a break from "work", and I get more reading done (which I see as a sort of accomplishment in itself).