Ever just want to quit?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by dscott25, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Manutebecker

Manutebecker New Member

Even the greatest novelists admit that writing can often just suck. There are times when you have a story in your head or you've proofed so much that you just want to step away from the keyboard, but press on regardless. I will admit that sometimes, yes, writing is a chore. I'm trying to stand beside my "1000 quality words" a day program, and some days I'm at a loss for words or just want to read or do something else.

2. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

Is writing a "chore"? Is it "work"? Is it sometimes difficult? Yep. And, I love the challenges, opportunities and demands as much as I love those moments of inspired writing where everything seems to flow easily. To me writing is like any other valued relationship . . . it takes work to get the most out of it.

3. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

Of course it is, at times. Just like anything else worth doing.

4. Kirsten

Kirsten New Member

This is what I love about Writing Forum. If you had posted this question on, let's say, YahooAnswers, you might've been attacked with things like "Well, if it's so hard maybe you shouldn't be a writer..." blah. blah. BLAH! Yes sometimes it IS hard, sometimes--when every word I type, it still doesn't flow right--I just want to run and eat some icecream while I watch some sort of action movie to get my mind off it a little while. I just wrote 157 pages of a first draft and couldn't stand looking at the mess I created, so with the ending in mind, I ventured out and started the Second draft. It gave me a cleaner feeling knowing I was "Fixing" the bad stuff, and improving the good.
    Sorry for rambling, but it is nice to know that I'm not the only one who sometimes struggles putting those 1000 words down everyday.
    Later ;)

5. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Maybe it's the 1000 words a day that's making it a chore for you. I don't have a definite goal for each day. I write when I'm in the mood or if I have something interesting to write down. Sure writing's challenging, but it's far from being a chore IMO.

6. Phifty2

Phifty2 New Member

Yes it is. Most of the time it's incredibly satisying and comes natural. Sometimes though, it feels like something I have to do, not because I don't want to but some days are harder than others.

Recently though, it's been easier than it's ever been because the project I'm currently working on I consider my best ever and(and this is why we should write) I'm just having a hell of a fun time doing it.

7. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

At first it was never a chore. I never really took it seriously enough. So because of such i struggled and procrastinated beyound belief. A few months ago i decided to get real and treat it like a job. I diciplined myself and said "Look you have so many ideas in your head, start writing them." I gave myself a goal of 1,500 words a day. And some days its a very big chore to actually write. But im not suffering from writers block, the book is already in my head. So i do my chore every single day, and now i get further and further with each one. So its a chore, but its a good chore that i'll look back in a few months and be glad i have it.

8. lipton_lover

lipton_lover New Member

Writing is just a very enjoyable hobby for me, and so when it's becoming a chore I simply stop writing for the time being until it becomes enjoyable again. Since I'm not doing it professionally, when I sit down and write I want to enjoy every moment of it instead of working through it. But yes, those moments come up often where I can't get anything done so I have to say it would be a chore if I let it.

9. Cheeno

Cheeno Member

Stop writing. Step away and turn your back on your pc, laptop, journal. Walk around and set your mind to all the chores you have to do to keep your pad 'livable'. Unless you're the type who likes living in a mess, you'll do what's necessary to keep your place clean and workable, moving things about and making sure there's nothing undesirable hanging around to impede your progress. You'll also keep your windows clean and pay your bills, and then there's your garden with everything you have to do to keep it just the way you like. All the chores we need to do to keep things right. Just like writing.:)

10. -NM-

-NM- Active Member

I find it a bit of a chore sometimes, usually when i'm starting something new and I have to sit and plan it and come up with names for people, things like that.

Also sometimes i find myself just wanting to skip large sections of a story because i want to get to an interesting bit, so then i find it difficult to focus as much and keep writing that less interesting section.

11. Gallowglass

Gallowglass Contributor Contributor

Some parts I enjoy writing, other parts I don't. But what I write is for a purpose that even I don't fully appreciate, so it's not a chore. I do it because it needs doing, and no-one else will do it.

12. JGraham

JGraham New Member

For me it is not so much writing that becomes a chore, for the most part once i know where to go it just flows. But sometimes i get great ideas, but struggle finding ways to connect them, or find a good way that is both fresh and entertaining to write them. So for me it is not as much the writing facet that gets me, but sometimes applying the ideas i come up with. But as it has been said before, Writing is definitely a challenge. A challenge that is worth the fight.

13. Emmy

Emmy New Member

Writing itself is not the chore; it's trying to get it out that is. I think much faster than I can type or handwrite - and I'm a fast typist -, and then I leave words/large sections out, put sentences down wrong ... it can be a real mess. I'm impatient to get my thoughts on paper, and physically, it's impossible to keep up at times. That's the chore for me. The waiting, the agonizing over going back to fill in the blanks. I've been thinking about investing in a mini voice recorder.

14. architectus

architectus Banned

For me it is mostly a chore when editing. I suck at it. I don't enjoy it one bit. But I'm slowly -- I stress the word slowly -- getting better at it.

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

nope!... never has been, can't see how it ever could be... to me, writing is like breathing... i can't not do it... and it's as close to 'automatic' as anything unmechanical can get...

16. crime.prose

crime.prose New Member

Yes writing can be hard, especially the knuckling down to the start of a session for me at least. You've (or at least me) got to stop making excuses and get on with it.

Here I also find targets can help. But for me it is a set number of hours per day spent at the computer rather than a word count. Sometimes I produce mush quality stuff and others not.

It is of course the quality of your writing that really matters, there's no sense in writing a load of rubbish.

The point being, targets can help provide some necessary writing discipline.

I find that when I've written something good, I find it rewarding.

Writing is ultimately a compulsion, which is perhaps why we all do it.

17. The Viendish One

The Viendish One New Member

It's only a chore when I try to force it.

Never try to write when your creative juices aren't flowing. You'll only get frustrated and more crumpled up paper balls will be added to your trashcan. -_-

18. Pliny

Pliny New Member

On a personal level, I haven't noticed writing ever being a chore; the act of writing is cathartic and enjoyable enough that I've never had an issue. On a professional level, though, such as writing toward a prompt, word count, or paid deadline, I've definitely found it choresome. While I'll always love the writing, I can't always say the same for its darker, professional side.

19. lynneandlynn

lynneandlynn New Member

Honestly if I go a day without writing I start feeling really bogged down because I *have* to get words down on paper. It's like an impulse that can't be controlled. I *have* to write or I'll go crazy. Even if it's just something random that I'll never worry about or toss in the trash later, I have to write it just to get it out of my head. I have enough words in my head...the more I can get out of it, the better I feel.

~Lynn

20. sarahmarshadlam

sarahmarshadlam New Member

Hi,

I wondered if anyone else feels like this; I write something and think it's pretty good, I'm happy with it. Then I let someone read it and even if they have only positive comments I feel embarassed and think it's rubbish.

Maybe it's because it's like wearing your heart on your sleeve, showing someone something that has come from your inner depths and it makes you very critical of it?

Sarah

21. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Never. But if you do, that's your inner harpy chewing away at your confidence. Tell her to shut up and gnaw some rawhide toys instead.

There's an inner critic, and an inner critiquer. The inner critic tells you things like, "What do you think, you're gonna be a writer? You'll never amount to anything. Stop fooling yourself and do something more suited to your talents, like garbage collection." It;s the voice of your nasty Aunt Matilda, who never smiled her entire life, and was only invited to family gatherings for fear she'd spread nasty rumors if she wasn't under a close eye.

You inner critique, on the other hand, will say things like, "You know, your police officer character is a Johnny One Note. If you showed a more compassionate side of him, he'd be more identifiable to the reader."

The inner critiqiuer is always pushing you to improve. He or she is worth listening to. The inner critic only wants you to give up, and should be mercilessly beaten senseless.

22. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Nah. We have a society in the western world that don't teach you to accept praise for what it is. Many feel like you, feels singled out, and rather makes you feel unsecure and self concious.

It goes away if you practice. Smile, try to relax and be proud and interested in the other persons opinion.

If you don't want to reply in a way that don't seem like "showing off" or making other feel inferior i got a tip. Especially getting a compliment from people that are not writers/painters/whatever themself. You can always say something along this lines:

"Thanks. I'm happy to hear that. I spent a lot of time on it. Part X was tricky and I am pleased with how Y turned out."

Just commentating how the working process went, rather then final result makes easy conversation, and neither bashes you or raises you to the sky.
    But never bash your own work. It just makes you feel bad and anyone listening uncomfortable. But it okey to admit that some parts were tricky or hard, imho.

23. sarahmarshadlam

sarahmarshadlam New Member

Thank you for your reply! You are right, I tend to just feel bashful and forget about it. I will try and change the voice into a good critque and ask it why and how can we make it better!

24. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

I'd write ways to tell that inner part of me to shut up but then he'd just tell me how unoriginal those ways are. :rolleyes:

But yeah, I know the feeling the OP is talking about. It looks good until somebody else is reading it, and then it seems cheap. To reassure us those, the best of television shows are kind of the same way.(At least for me) It captivates me but it always seems kinda campy when showing it to somebody else.

25. Promostarr

Promostarr New Member

I love letting others read my writings. But i hate all my works personally, with a few exceptions! Other people like to read them so i always feel rewarded after they read them :D