Tags:
  1. Padfoot

Padfoot New Member

two main characters

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Padfoot, Sep 9, 2012.

So I have an issue. I have two male main characters with important events happening for each, separately. I'm just concerned that this will be annoying and confusing. I've never been a big fan of books that change from one person's pov to another.

Any thoughts on this? I could stick to just one pov but I feel like a lot would be missing and I have written a lot on both povs....:confused:

2. kyelena2

kyelena2 New Member

I can say that there are certain books I've read that change POV, and I enjoyed them even more. On the other side, depending how you transition will be the key point.
    The book series that I read that have a great transition are called: House of Night.
    There have been multiples that I am very interested in, I read to the first transition, feel lost and just put the book down.

I think it's great to have two main characters, just keep an eye on your flow from one to the next. :)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As long as there is some manner of convergence, having more than one central POV is just fine.

Convergence is important in terms of it being one story. Something has to tie it all together, somehow.

I know that sounds like a Captain Obvious pronouncement, but there are people who forget it.

4. J. Blake

J. Blake Member

What exactly would be missing?

Give or take a few exceptions, we saw the Harry Potter series through only Harry's POV. However, that didn't take away any of the depth given to Ron and Hermione, even though they were vital main characters as well. That being said, i'm not saying you need to only have one POV. I'm saying it's more than possible and it can work amazingly well if handled correctly.

If you've never been a big fan of POV-hopping, then I'm not sure why you're writing a story in that particular style. Consider going with the style that suits you better. But, if you do decide to carry out your multiple POV idea, then I'll tell you right now to drop all your little fears and insecurities. It's a fine style, espescially if handled well.

Good luck.

5. Danvok

Danvok New Member

If it works, then I say do it. Even if its not perfect it'll challenge your skills as a writer, which is always good.

6. DefinitelyMaybe

DefinitelyMaybe Contributor Contributor

One short story I've written has two main characters who are actually the same character. I split the character to create the opportunity for banter between them. I think this "works" reasonably OK, But on my next revision I think I'm going to introduce some personality differences between them, and give them more defined roles in their relationship.

7. Padfoot

Padfoot New Member

I didn't even realize I was doing it. I started out with them together, then they were forced apart and without thinking about it I would write about one and then the other until they meet back up again.

I am starting to think Jason's POV could probably be left out though. Your HP reference was brilliant by the way! :p
    That sounds wonderful, if you've got it posted some where, I'd like to read it.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! I've got a lot to think about. :D