1. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Examples of Author Styles

Discussion in 'Research' started by ToBeInspired, Nov 12, 2018.

It was suggested to me recently that I should look over examples of established authors to peruse various writing styles.

So I come to the community to ask for any suggestions on author's who excel at anything in particular. For instance, Ernest Hemingway is known for his concise, object prose in fiction. I'm not particularly looking for examples of the four styles of writing (expository, descriptive, persuasive, & narrative -- though creative is sometimes considered a 5th), but more just an author that excelled at whatever style he developed.

I'm currently mainly interested in science fiction and fantasy authors at this time. It would be helpful to have an example of an author who did well at developing multiple characters as well. I would be interested in an author that split his/her characters in unique ways (chapters, arcs, different periods of time, etc.). Also, any good example(s) of pirates is always appreciated (fiction or non-fiction) -- I just like pirates.

Thank You,
    ToBeInspired

Currently Suggested:
    David Gemmell
    Tanith Lee

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  2. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

Tanith Lee

hyacinthe likes this.
  3. Artifacs

Artifacs Senior Member

I'm actually translating Peter Watt's Rifters Trilogy (Hard sci-fi). I consider these author to show a very comfy prose to me to read (Spanish is my first language). He builds very descriptive concise sentences and plays quite well with the character's POV during narration. I like his dynamic way of writing because depicts a five-senses enviroment for each scene. Also he uses flashbacks on the fly, the "missee en abymee" trick and end some character's cliffhunger unexpectedly (from a totally different character's POV). Not to mention his interesting ideas about an eco-apocalyptic 2040 setting in this particular Trilogy.
    I also like Cory Doctorow's work for different reasons. He's got a huge imaginary and his word-box seems to contain all the words under the 50% less used word list in English. I enjoyed very much his short stories.

4. fjm3eyes

fjm3eyes Member

I dom't care much for fantasy, even less for science fiction. I do like first person narratives and n0-standad formats. For examples, I list Samuel Beckett, James Joyce, and Mark Danielewski, among others.

5. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

In terms of spec fic writers who did a good job developing multiple characters, George R.R. Martin is an obvious choice. I lost count of how many POV characters there are in A Song of Ice and Fire; bits of their personalities tinge each POV chapter, and many of the non-POV characters are very dimensional as well.

6. mykl ruby

mykl ruby New Member

Dont know if this is what your after but one of my favourite writers is irvine welsh who most well known work would be trainspotting.hes written a lot of books, on a whole range of things (not just drug related) but the really brilliant thing he does is write portions of some of his novels in scottish, so if you were to read chapters out loud as he writes the words you'd be speaking with a thick scottish accent.if you were keen on writing a pirate character how good would it be to write dialogue like we imagine a pirate talks.other than the arr arr stuff.if you get a chance have a look at a few chapters of trainspotting or his other books.its english, but crafted in a way that its scottish.and theres a tape worm in his book filth.when that thing starts talking its genius.irvine welsh the authors name us