Eximius Coventry 2.0

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Earphone, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Love to Write

Love to Write I'm a lover of writing. What else is to be said? Contributor

Rebecca Woods

"Well, I think that I’ve had enough adventures for one day, how about you?” Rebecca was pulled out of her thoughts by Avery plopping beside her, smiling. She gave a half smile back, "Yes, it has been an interesting day." Then she noticed how wet Avery was and her mother instinct kicked in. "Oh, Avery! You're soaked to the bone! What happened to the umbrella?"

Avery looked down at her hands, her smile quickly turning into a frown.

“Yeah, about that, I…uh, I ruined it,” Avery raised her head to look Rebecca in the eye, “I’m sorry, but I can only take half the blame really. If she hadn’t said all her quick judgments about me, I wouldn’t have gotten so hot.”

Avery sighed, nodding towards the Russian woman. “It wasn’t a fun experience.”

Rebecca followed Avery's gaze and noticed the remnants of her umbrella in her hand. She put a hand to her mouth, covering a laugh. The poor umbrella was now twisted at odd angles and it's once silver metal was now black with smoke. Rebecca lowered her hand to her chest, put on a fake serious expression and said, "It was a good umbrella. I'm sure it was happy to go out with a bang rather than slowly worn out and eventually thrown in the trashcan." She wiped away a fake tear. "Rest in peace, my friend." Avery burst out laughing and Rebecca joined her.

Laughing after such a serious day felt good. It reminded her that she was in a safe place...with friends. No need to hide her powers here. For the first time in her life, she removed her gloves in public. A soft blue glow emanated from her palms. It had been brighter before but she had used a lot of energy protecting everyone from the grey suits. Thinking of grey suits she turned towards Avery, "Have you learned anything about these grey suits that have been chasing us?"

"No, only how to torch their nice cars. It was actually an easy process...not that I would try it again anytime soon. I've done more than enough destroying for one day," Avery with her hand to the crowd, "These new faces probably know a thing or two about them though. You heard anything?"

Rebecca shook her head. "I wonder when someone is going to tell us what is going on."

2. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Alexander Butler

"And what makes you think we need protecting?" said the man, who had just changed his form.

Alexander grinned mockingly at him. “And so our little spy finally shows himself. If you think you can hide from our pursuers simply by changing your form, then you are sadly mistaken. Your actions make you painfully obvious.”

Then he turned back to Trace who seemed somewhat startled by the man’s appearance. “It’s a giant fairy-hunt then,” he stated. “A witch-hunt if you prefer. Despite what you said, we certainly are not normal people. We are freaks of nature. Mutants. Whatever word you wish to use. Not a large percentage of people are like us, and it makes us feared to the public, and ultimately to the government.”

Alexander paused for a moment, but not long enough for anyone to reply.
    “And if what I say is correct, then I must ask the same question as our spy over here,” he said indicating the man. “What makes you think that forming such an organisation is beneficial to our kind? What makes you think we need protecting?”

Trace watched him for a moment, as if he were contemplating something, then he leaned in and spoke in a low voice. "Because they have Exceptionals as well. Or, at least something similar. Again, you're asking questions that are hard to answer for non-members. Give Dirk more time; he can give you the details."

Alexander turned around and watched as Avery and the Russian woman walked in through the doors, and headed off towards the couches. He had been surprised to realise that he wasn’t the only Exceptional. He’d been more surprised to realise that there were so many others with abilities. Now he knew that there must have been hundreds of them. Thousands. Enough to be used on both sides of the silent battle.

Alexander turned back around to face Trace with a sly grin on his face. “A brilliant manoeuvre. Use one’s own powers against them. I suppose every war has its traitors.” Then his grin faded away.

“But you do realise that by gathering large amounts of Exceptionals in this town, you only provoke more and more awareness of our existence?”

3. AnonyMouse

AnonyMouse Contributor Contributor

The inside of Dirk’s little hidey hole proved to be quite comfy. Ivanna was slightly amused. She didn’t expect Dirk to have a nice place -- or friends, for that matter. A fat man and a woman were speaking with the others, but Dirk seemed to have disappeared. The captive gray suit was also absent. Ivanna could guess what they might be up to.

She strolled in behind Avery, dripping wet. Not bad, Ivan thought as she took in her surroundings. I could crash here for a bit. She still didn’t have an actual home. Ivan didn’t like to be tied down, so she’d been shacking with some guy she met a few weeks ago. But he was an ass and she was always looking out for new places.

She shrugged off her leather jacket and tossed it onto the kitchen counter. Her black tanktop was wet and clingy ad her bare arms were covered in tattoos. There was a Chinese dragon coiling down her right arm from shoulder to wrist, with little horned demons dancing around it, and it was barfing a rainbow onto the back of her hand.

Her left arm was even more random than that. She had a ring of binary wrapped around her bicep, but couldn’t remember when she’d gotten it done or what the hell it said. Don’t go drinking with college kids, especially the computer science majors, she thought as he gaze scanned the room, searching for something to entertain herself.

“Hello, would you like something to drink?” a dark-haired woman said, holding a tray of beverages. She seemed... nice.

“Sure,” Ivan said and grabbed one, took a sip, and frowned. Water? She’d had enough water for one day, but Ivan wasn’t going to look a gift horse in the mouth. She choked it down and handed the glass back with a surly, “thanks.”

“I’m Monica,” the woman said, offering a hand. "Welcome."

“Ivanna.” Ivan took her hand and squeezed extra hard, until the woman was red in the face. But Monica kept up appearances well. She continued to smile, despite this crazy stranger trying to break her hand.

“A pleasure to… meet you…” Monica said when Ivan finally released her. “I’ll go see if anyone else needs anything.”

She wandered away and Ivan smiled. Overcome with boredom, she pulled out Kami’s phone, and began scrolling through her contacts until she found the girl’s friends. With a tiny crystal razorblade, Ivan began carving tiny words into the edge of the coffee table.

‘LOOKIN FOR A GOOD TIME, CALL _______’ she added one of the numbers from the contact list.

‘LONELY GIRL, SEEKING COMPANY…’ she carved another phone number into the dark wood.

‘FOR FREE LOVIN, CALL _____’ she scratched another number in.

She could do this all day.

4. JessWrite

JessWrite Word Nerd & Proud! Contributor

Avery Funkhouser

Avery didn’t hear Rebecca’s answer, since Alexander’s voice caught her attention instead. He seemed to be having a debate with a man three times his size. Avery didn’t understand the boy. He was intimidating to say the least, the reason Avery had begun to form a deep hatred towards him. He acted as if he knew everything, another reason Avery disliked him. She knew a nerd when she heard one. By the way he formed his logical words, it was clearly visible in Alex. Maybe the only thing visible in him.

Avery broke her gaze, and stood up, looking to Rebecca.

“I’ll be right back, okay?”

Avery started towards Alexander, planning to join in the debate. Eavesdropped snippets of his previous words bounced in her brain. He had mentioned the word ‘exceptionals’. Is that what I’m called then, an exceptional? That’s a nice compliment.

Avery brushed by a tall woman carrying a tray, and was surprised when a soft voice called after her.

“Would you like anything to drink?” Avery spun around to face the woman. She looked like a supermodel with her stature and sleek black hair that fell near her shoulders.

“Oh...sorry for passing you up,” Avery said to the new woman, “I’d love a drink.”

Avery studied the various drinks on the tray carefully. She tried to avoid the clear liquids, by grabbing one with a dark color. She sipped it to find out it was a bubbly, cola soft drink.

“Thanks.” Avery smiled at the woman; anything acidic was better than nothing. She started to turn back towards her destination, but then the woman spoke up again.

“Your welcome. I’m Monica, by the way.”

“I’m Avery, nice to meet you.” Avery’s eyes wandered back over to Alexander.

“You can go speak with your friend if you’d like.” Monica said. Avery blushed, feeling a sudden sense of guilt with being so rude.

“He’s not exactly my friend…” Avery stuttered.

“I need to check up on everyone else anyway, hope to see you around soon.” Monica gave Avery a smile in return, before turning away and walking off.

Wow Avery, you really blew that. She thought, but her guilt disappeared when she finally got to Alexander. Avery squared her shoulders, officially ready to butt into this. She gently tapped Alexander on the shoulder.

“I couldn’t help overhearing your conversation. Well said, Mr. Invisible. But, what’s wrong with ‘increasing awareness’ of our powers? Did you ever think that may be the plan?”

5. CheddarCheese

CheddarCheese New Member

Alexander Butler

“I couldn’t help overhearing your conversation. Well said, Mr. Invisible. But, what’s wrong with ‘increasing awareness’ of our powers? Did you ever think that may be the plan?” said Avery, tapping Alexander on the shoulder. Her voice still indicated a grudging hostility from before.

Without skipping a beat, Alexander gave his reply. “In our modern world, increasing awareness of people with supernatural powers would be a completely destructive idea.” He turned around to face her. “Haven’t you seen what we’ve done so far? For the most part we are untrained. We’re not soldiers, and many of you may not have even been in a real physical conflict before this. Yet we took down armed men who were trained to hunt people like us. Imagine if we were the trained ones?”
    “We aren’t normal people. We are weapons of mass destruction, just waiting to be utilised. If the military ever figured out about us…”

He let his words linger, allowing the rest to be constructed by her imagination.
    “In fact, if I’m not mistaken, it’s already happened,” continued Alexander, indicating Trace. “The ‘fairy hunters’ already have Exceptionals under their authority. No, increasing awareness of our kind would only threaten us even more. We’d either be hunted down due to our dangerous nature, or be used as a weapon.”

"Does your brain ever rest?" Avery replied, chuckling, "Wait... don't answer that. I don't need a lecture on the anatomy of the brain. Anyway, good analogy with weapons. I actually think I would make an amazing bomb. You could be an invisible robot with razors that can slit through people's throats. You'd do well at that I think."

“Actually, it’d be much more efficient to…” Alexander frowned, “You… weren’t being serious were you?”

He realised his mistake, but a few moments too late. The sarcasm was obvious in the girl’s voice, and yet he had missed it completely. Social interaction was one of the rare few things that his brain couldn’t completely process. He’d tried studying human behaviour for a couple of months, but it proved futile. All humans were annoyingly different from each other.

"And, you're seriously questioning that I was being serious? Looks like your brain finally gave up on you." Avery laughed.
    "Lighten up, Alexander,” she continued, before he could reply, “Not everything can possibly have a scientific explanation, and that's something I've learned the hard way.”

Alexander couldn’t help but notice something; like an itch at the back of his mind. There was a difference in what he was feeling, and he didn’t like it. Embarrassment. There wasn’t very much of it, but it was still there. The last time he had felt embarrassed was back in 4th year, when he accidentally lost a spelling bee.

He cleared his throat, finding his voice again. He made sure not to let anything show on his face. “I disagree… but I see your point. The past few events haven’t been very easy to explain. Of course, unless this organisation is run by fools, increasing awareness is still a counterproductive action,” he said stubbornly.

He narrowed his eyes on Trace. “Or we haven’t been told everything. I hope that you tell the truth when you say that Dirk will explain once he is done.”

6. naturemage

naturemage Active Member

Kami DeSoras

Ignoring her parents, Kami rushed off, following the tracks of the morons who thought they could escape. Fortunately for her, these two were rather stupid. They had driven off so fast, they left a clear path to where they were headed. She was going to make them pay for what they did!

Stomping the whole way, she touch things here and there, grabbing whatever she could to make sure those grey suits were going to suffer. Rocks, bricks, plants, dirt, the air itself, all weapons of her choosing. She went into a store on the way, a gun store.

"Hey, you have any ammunition?"

The man behind the counter raised his eyebrows. "Come now little lady, you can't expect me to believe you're old enough to own a gun."

Kami, in turn, raised one eyebrow. "I would just like to see what ammo looks like. It's for a project." She put her hands up, trying to convince him she had no intention of loading ammo into a gun. And she didn't.

"I suppose it can't hurt." He reached under the counter, and brought a box of bullets up, setting the heavy box down. "See?"

She reached in, grabbing one. "It's very cool, smooth too." She put her hand aside of the counter, aiming towards the back of the store. In a moment, there was a noise of glass breaking.

"What the?" The man turned around, rushing to the back.

Kami rolled her eyes. "Too easy." She reached her hand into the box...

The man came back a minute later, watching Kami open the door. He laughed. "Stop by when you really need a gun." He shook his head, smiling, as Kami walked out. He looked down at the box, and his mouth dropped. "What the?!" The box was completely empty.