Tags:
  1. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

Eye or Eyes?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by GlitterRain7, Jan 17, 2018.

A lot of times, I write sentences like this: "I saw a flash of uncertainty cross his eyes." This gets confusing when I'm doing it for my half blind character, as his one eye I'm guessing (since it's completely blind) has no emotion you can see, and it's also covered by his hair, so no one sees it anyways. When I'm doing these kinds of descriptions about emotions and eyes, should I use eye or eyes for this particular character? The reader does know right from his introduction that he's blind, by the way. I don't know if that makes a difference or not. I just don't want readers to think that he doesn't have two real eyes or something.

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

If only one eye is visible, then I'd say "eye". But if the other eye is visible, then I'd pluralize. Depending on what caused his blindness, he probably still emotes with the eye, because the muscles around it function, yeah?

GlitterRain7 likes this.
  3. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Forgive me for the stupid question but who is the POV here is it the half blind man or is the half blind man the guy the POV is referring to? Because I think this matters a lot.

4. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

Then you describe that to the reader, so they know.

5. GlitterRain7

GlitterRain7 Galaxy Girl Contributor

The POV is someone else, in first person.