1. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

facial expressions?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by BillyxRansom, Nov 13, 2019.

how important is it to you, to get the facial expressions of a character right? do you worry about it, poring over every possible way it might turn out when you try to imagine it (like, i stress about it to the point of near paralysis, which I realize is never good for any endeavor; no matter what it's just bad news to get that in your own head about a thing)? or do you just let the thing occur naturally? where you look it over, and even if, in terms of FACIAL CUES, the reaction (to your mind) is, at best perplexing, and at worst... wrong?

basically, do you think there's such a thing as "wrong" in this case?

Tralala likes this.
  2. Tralala

Tralala Active Member

Actually, I don't worry about it too much.

Are you concerned that you'll select an expression that doesn't match an emotion?

Probably best to just put something in. Don't read it for a month. At the next read-through, you'll just know if it's the one you want.

BillyxRansom and The_Joker like this.
  3. GrJs

GrJs Active Member

I don't worry all that much about it. If we're talking in terms of reactions then I go with whatever has the most effect for the scene.

Something to remember is that people don't have notable facial expressions for every sentence or action or event. It's only when a reaction is necessary that a facial expression is necessary and to figure out which one to use you need only know the emotional intent of the scene.

4. BillyxRansom

BillyxRansom Active Member

yes.

interesting. so you believe i will intuit the way to go? and also - and i know this is a ridiculous question, as this is almost ALL subjectivity; however, humor me - there is no wrong way to go, technically, do you think?

5. Tralala

Tralala Active Member

I've found it's best, tbh, to just press ahead.

I'm probably happy with the connect between the physical actions and the emotion about ninety per cent of the time.

So, I give myself permission to go ahead and proceed confidently. Basically, there isn't much to be gained by giving myself a hard time about it.

I know I will be blind to that ten per cent no matter what I do. Only taking a break from reading that page or section will allow me to see it.

BillyxRansom likes this.
  6. yoffi

yoffi Banned

Wow! I never really thought about this too much. I think it could be really cool to use the cues that give emotion to the character. Are they tired? An eye could twitch. Are they sleepy? They could have dry eyes. I'll try to build this into my work! Does anyone have any of their writing they can share with good examples of this?

7. yoffi

yoffi Banned

Also, isn't it mad when you see a movie, and the character is completely different!

8. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

You don't want to over do it. Allow all your prose to reveal your character. All description, even ordinary articles can work together to give the scene the mood you want to convey so that youR character's don't have to do facial acrobatics for the reader to figure it out. Have flames from fireplace reflect in the mc's eyes, have him grip his glass of Zinfandel as though prepared to fling the contents in his wife's face, have his voice lower to the coolness of an icy draft from a cellar door and by the time he says I know about Michael - you don't need to set his mouth in a grim line etc. The reader already knows what you're up to.

9. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I like this a LOT. Yes. Don't overdo it.

The readers will fill in the facial expressions if you give them enough else to go on. There are many ways to convey emotion and reaction besides facial expressions. Watch for other physical cues. Posture. Sudden change of posture. Hesitation. Stillness, or lack of animation. Tone of voice. Eye contact, or lack of it. Aimless gesture. Threatening gesture. Helpless gesture. Tightening or widening personal space. These clues can be subtle, but possibly a more truthful revelation of real emotion than a facial expression, which can be 'put on,' or resisted.

LoaDyron and peachalulu like this.