Fallout 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Lemex, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Jones

Jones My body is ready

Bethesda and Civilization are about the only games I'll play anymore. I'll probably wait a few months for them to work out all the bugs, patch it up, and for the modding community to fix things up real nice. Also, that will give some time for the tech to decrease in cost a little, and maybe I can upgrade to a higher end machine to play this for cheaper. It will be fun.

2. Acanthophis

Acanthophis ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Contributor

Rehash is irrelevant. It's hard to find something that isn't rehashed these days.

3. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

Fallout isn't about graphics, it's about game-play. I've played every game since the first. The fact that the world of Fallout 4 is going to be so much bigger, and that you can create your own buildings, settlements, modified power armor and modified weapons is, frankly, the most exciting game prospect I've ever waited for. Linear shoot-em ups like Halo are boring as fuck. I love exploring and creating, tinkering away with millions of options. I'm a writer/ film maker that hikes and LOVES post apocalyptic settings. This is absolutely the perfect game for someone like me.

4. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Not sure if it was here that I asked, or on some gaming forum. Either way I've forgotten the answers so I'll ask again.

• Are there drivable vehicles?

• Can you set it up so that it stays in first-person, no matter what you're doing?

• Can you turn off the entire HUD, and I include the annoying button prompts that plague so many games these days, i.e. "Press X to open", "Hold O to take weapon", etc, etc, etc?

If the answer is yes to all of these - especially the last two - I might give it a look. Otherwise I'll stick with my good ol' trusty GTA V.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    123456789 likes this.
  5. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Hope these answers helped.

OurJud likes this.
  6. OurJud

Thanks, Link.

I know I asked the question, so please don't look at this as me throwing your answers back in your face, but I have severe reservations about the HUD. I just know there's going to be stupid levels of hand-holding, and that everytime I come across something with which I can interact, all manner of prompts and instructions will pop-up.

That's why I adore GTA V so much. You can turn off the HUD, and it leaves you alone; no markers, no prompts, no instructions...

Link the Writer likes this.
  7. Link the Writer

Oh yeah, the HUD can get annoying, believe me. I hope we can remove it as well, or, in my case, dim it enough so that it's not as noticeable what with the animated Vault Boy every time we do something in the game.

Aside: I like GTA V myself, only because of Michael de Santa, of whom I have dubbed: ‘The Ruiner of Your Shit’. I just like playing him above the other two characters. :p

OurJud likes this.
  8. OurJud

Don't know what this is, but you've talked me out of trading in any of my games for this. I'll save my money and wait for Star Wars Battlefront - I know you can turn off the HUD in that.

9. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Rehashed graphics and game mechanics, not story.

In that context, most good games are not rehashes.

10. 123456789

Bethesda games are not about gameplay, or story. They are about immersion. If getting to make your dream character and living in a make believe world is your ging, then Bethesda is perfect.
    But the gameplay mechanics are boring and the dungeons and AI repetitive and uninspired.

OurJud likes this.
  11. Acanthophis

@123456789 Well, in that context, Fallout 4 isn't a rehash either. They've completely redone the combat mechanics, because that was one of the biggest complaints people had with Fallout 3, and by extension, New Vegas. They've built an in-depth weapon crafting system which I haven't seen before other than in MMOs where all the weapons are the same but with different names. The ability to create your own settlement in extremely incredible ways is a new addition as well, sure it's not as big as Minecraft, but it looks a thousand times more creative. They gave the player character a voice (which I hope we have the option to disable).

I don't know what you could possibly have wanted them to do. Were you expecting them to give the franchise as big a leap as from Fallout 2 to Fallout 3...? Four-dimensional graphics or something? I'm genuinely confused, because you haven't explained your reasoning. Granted, it doesn't really matter. If you don't like the game then you don't like the game.

12. Jones

Jones My body is ready

Heh, yeah, this.

13. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

game.jpg

14. Selbbin

I'm talking the series, not the studio. Bethesda only came in halfway, keeping most of the fundamentals while changing the look.

15. 123456789

When I saw the trailer for GTA V (one of the very few games I've played in a very long time) I couldn't believe it. It was spectacular. When I saw the trailer for Fallout 4. I was underwhelmed. It was uninspired, and worse, the graphics and art looked exactly the same. There's more. I've read impressions from people who got a look at the actual game, and they agreed, it's the same graphics from fallout 3.

GTA V was an inspired game that was executed as close to perfect as possible. Rockstar put its heart and soul into that game. I really don't get that feeling with Fallout 4. Maybe not everyone requires that to enjoy the game. Wreybies says he doesn't game. Well, I also do not game, unless the game is SPECTACULAR, which means I'll play three to five hours of one video game a year, and only every few years will I find one game that I actually play to the end.

OurJud likes this.
  16. Acanthophis

It's a matter of opinion I guess. GTA V was a huge disappointment to me. Shitty car physics, lackluster car modification, bland textures. story which had two irrelevant protagonists (seriously, there is no justification for Franklin's existence), boring multiplayer, and mediocre side missions.

GTA V and Arkham Knight. Biggest let downs.

Link the Writer likes this.
  17. 123456789

It's not just a matter of opinions. GTA V got rave reviews. We'll see what Fallout 4 gets. There was certainly more positive hype for GTA V pre release, than there is Fallout 4.

18. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Well GTA is just a generally bigger and more popular franchise then Fallout. So of course there is going to be much more hype and bigger ceremony and all that.

I mean Fallout was only mostly on PC till Fallout 3 and New Vegas, plus while Morrowind and Oblivion were very popular it seemed Skyrim got longer spotlight in the mainstream then most other Bethesda games.

GTA on the other hand......

Had the PS2 trilogy which everyone LOVES, including me. GTA 3-Game changer, Vice City expanded upon that and San Andreas is awesome fun. Ya know? Those were big BIG house hold names even back in the day. Throw in GTA 4 and then a six year wait for GTA V of course that hype is gonna be huge, it deserved every bit of it to.

GTA V is a great game! But GTA is the kinda franchise that can crush games such as Call of Duty in sales. Not to say Fallout isn't mad popular because it is. But I don't think its of THAT magnitude, could be wrong though but that's just an observation.

19. Link the Writer

I read that originally, the story was just going to be about Michael and Trevor, and we could only play as those two. Franklin was just an afterthought. And they must've forgotten to create a story for him as he's kind of-sort of welded into the original plot.

Though @123456789 and @Kingtype are correct, this is the sort of francise that, once a new game is announced in the series, it overshadows any other game in existance.

@OurJud - I'm gonna get the game next week, so I'll let you know if you can turn the HUD off if you wanted. I'm fairly certain you can, but I could be wrong.

Featuring the Voice- Yeah, I'm still kind of skeptical about that. Even if they do it spectacuarly well, something is still lost. Now I'll never roam Post-Apocalyptic Boston with my badass Sole Survivor with the gruff voice of a chain smoker. :(

20. Acanthophis

If popularity and marketing are reflective of how good a game is, then Call of Duty games are the definition of perfection.

21. Selbbin

Here's the amazing and wonderful thing about the world: people like different things. I'm super excited for Fallout 4 and couldn't give a fuck about the GTA series. I played 'em. Boring as fuck and annoying gameplay. Go figure. Taste. It isn't universal.

22. Selbbin

Um, they're still opinions. Reviews are opinions, nothing more. All I care about is: will I like it, not if they do. I won't be playing it for their enjoyment.

23. Link the Writer

I will give up games forever if that ever happens. >:[

24. 123456789

Guys, it is not just hype. You have to know how to read in between the lines. When a review says the game is extremely innovative, the graphics are gorgeous, the AI is sound, the game mechanics are smooth, the action is thought out and varied, there is innovation, and there is an interesting story (im not saying all these things apply to any one particular game, just an ideal game) that means the game is probably objectively good.

If a game is criticized for having subpar graphics, rehashed game mechanics, repetitive enemies, and a bland story, then that game is probably not that good.

Just because the "good" game takes place in a setting you're not fond of with characters you're not fond of, and the "bad" game takes place in a setting you are fond of with characters you are fond of, doesn't mean that the "good" game (which has all the attributes listed in my first paragraph) isn't the superior game, objectively.

25. Acanthophis

That's literally what subjectivity is lol. Attraction to characters and environments, music and art style, are all just preferences.

If we're going to use your logic though, then I don't really see how GTA V was all that good. It has the same game mechanics as its predecessor(s); every enemy is the same - there literally isn't any difference between the soldiers at the airfield and the gang members on Grove street, they are just reskins of one another. I can't really see how GTA V is objectively good when some of its most basic elements are parallel with what you think makes a bad game.