Fantasy book recommendations, please

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Elven Candy, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Ms. DiAnonyma

Ms. DiAnonyma Active Member

Hmmm, intelligent dragon communicating... funny, the only thing I can think of is, (ironically enough) one of the Chronicles of Narnia (Voyage of the Dawn Treader tbs)- maybe worth checking out again?
    C.S. Lewis' space trilogy (especially Perelandra), despite the term "space", is really more fantasy than sci-fi; perhaps more to your taste? (certainly more mature, but nothing you'd take issue with... I mean, come on, it's C.S. Lewis).

George MacDonald really has a range for fantasy- from simple (though charming) fairy tales for children, to more complex works like Phantastes and Lilith

I'll confess I haven't read The Once and Future King, by T.H. White, but I plan to, and given its rep in fantasy, would recommend it.

Chesterton isn't so much fantasy as fantastic... particularly his descriptions. (The Man Who Was Thursday isn't long, but has some dense material- even if you're looking to read/write on the lighter side, you should at least check out some of his fiction.)

I'm afraid I can't really recommend more in the dragon area- that's sort of a religious issue (explained marvelously in Michael O'Brien's book, A Landscape with Dragons, though I take it you'll understand religious principles in this area).

2. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

I most definitely understand! Thank you for all the recommendations; I'll be sure to check them out! My mother owns the Chronicles of Narnia series, so I'll see if I can find the collection and read the book you mention (most of our books are boxed up right now--long story). Even if I don't love it, it might at least help give me some ideas!

3. joeh1234

joeh1234 Active Member

I am not a massive fan of fantasy I tried lots of different "Fantasy" books but they never gripped me. However I did read all of the Conan volume and it is a monster of a book. I really enjoyed that I think mainly because they were short stories so there was a lot of change and variation throughout the volume.
    It has been a while since I Read it but I would suggest it.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I guess you could read Naomi Novik's series starting with His Majesty's Dragon. Intelligent dragons in an alternate-history, fantasy version of the Napoleonic Wars. I didn't care for it, but many others do.

Other dragon novels, with varying degrees of communication:

Dragon Princess, by Andrew Swann (fantasy, comedy)
    The Hobbit, of course.
    Dragondoom, by Dennis McKiernan.
    Dragon Weather, by Lawrence Watt-Evans.
    Seraphina, by Rachel Hartman, which is a cool YA novel with dragons who do math.
    Eragon (ok, I thought this was probably the worst-written book I've ever seen, but people like it).
    Dragon Riders of Pern books, Anne McCaffrey.
    the Dragonlance books by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
    Dealing with Dragons, et al., by Patricia Wrede, which are also kid's books and delightful (and they communicate).

And that's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

5. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

No one's mentioned Earthsea yet? I thought the way she does dragons was one of the best things about that series.

She also has a pretty cool concept for how magic works...overall one of the best fantasy series out there and well worth a read, IMHO.

6. Elven Candy

Thanks guys, I'll look into those books!

Well, except Dragonriders of Pern--I'm already reading through the series. I also keep meaning to read The Hobbit, but after Lord of the Rings, I just haven't got the guts to try (yet).

Steerpike: Will you tell me what makes Eragon such a poorly-written book? My brother owns the series, so learning what's bad about the writing can teach us a lot (he's also an aspiring writer).

7. Elven Candy

What kind of magic and how involved is it in the story?

8. Steerpike

@Elven Candy The Hobbit is a much easier read than Lord of the Rings. It's also a pretty fast read.

Eragon...I don't know, the quality of the writing itself is very amateurish. People make fun of Twilight, which certainly isn't stellar writing, but compared to Eragon it's much more competent. I'm just going on memory, because I only read a few chapters before I gave up on Eragon, but it seemed pretty cliche, littered with unnecessary adverbs, and I felt like there was too much telling the reader what they were supposed to think about things, including the protagonist.

But like I said, tons of people love those books, so that's just my personal point of view.

9. Elven Candy

Ah, okay. My brother plans to re-read the books, this time with a writer's eye, so this information will help us both greatly. Thank you!

10. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

I know you said you don't like magic, and magic is pretty central--the over-arching story is about a kid who grows up to be a powerful wizard. But I'd urge you to give it a look anyway--I don't want to give too much away, but the way magic works in her world is really different and thought provoking.

And, if nothing else they're easy reading. You can probably get through one of those books in a couple afternoons.

11. Elven Candy

Though I can't guarantee I'll read the books, I will look into the first one. Easy reading is always a good thing, for sure!

12. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

It's a regurgitated Tolkien world, the plot of Star Wars and often poorly worded and a bit strange.

It's been a long time, but there was one weird scene where Eragon is a voyeur and sees an elf guy's elfhood and Paolini launches into a vivid description of it.
    Not what 11 year old me wanted to read, really.

13. Elven Candy

That's . . . weird . . .

14. Steerpike

If you don't want magic and like fantasy, check out some stuff by Guy Gavriel Kay, like The Lions of Al-Rassan, or Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast books.

15. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Eragon wasn't bad. I think most people dislike it for the same reason we hate Nickelback.
    The movie didn't help either..

16. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

Why do you hate nickelback?

17. Mumble Bee

Here's a pretty in depth discussion on why the world hates Nickelback.

As for me, I have a problem caving in to peer-pressure.

18. Steerpike

Given the popularity of both, seems like the force of peer pressure (to the extent it exists) would be in the other direction. Maybe not on writing forums. I thought Twilight was competently written despite the constant bagging. Eragon, on the other hand...

19. Mumble Bee

20. King Arthur

King Arthur Banned

Thanks, weird stuff.

Other fantasy novels you may like:
    -Narnia
    -The Hobbit

21. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

I`ll be keeping an eye on this thread just to snag some of these recommendations for myself. Andrezej Sapkowski`s The Witcher series might be of interest. You may recall that name from the popular video games which were based on his work. There`s five books in the saga, two short story collections, and one stand alone novel. Though the standalone has not yet been put out in English that I'm aware. It`s about monster hunters (Wicthers) so it does involve monsters and creatures naturally. Some of the creatures may have a folk lore basis but there still interesting to read about.

22. Elven Candy

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! When I have the time I'll definitely look into them all.

On a side note: I have and read Song of the Beast, by Carol Berg. It is, in my opinion, fantastic! And very well written.

23. KPMay

KPMay Member

I think you should try the Nightrunner series..

24. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

The 'Eregon' series? I've never read it, but I know there's a dragon on the covers. I would suggest Dragonriders of Pern, though. They are wonderful books.

Elven Candy likes this.
  25. Steerpike

Those books make Twilight look like something by Nabokov. Not good.

Ah, yes, good stuff :)