1. Pyra Sunny

Pyra Sunny New Member

Fantasy Name Generators

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Pyra Sunny, Sep 18, 2017.

2. Nightwraith17

Nightwraith17 Member

I love these things. If only I could pronounce any of the names.

3. Gadock

Gadock Active Member

I was actually quite sceptical but the site is actually quite amazing. Is it known how they generate this stuff?

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

name generators generally work off randomly matching two or more databases for first name/surname ... some fantasy ones work off randomly generating a number of syllables from an overall database of phonemes

5. animagus_kitty

animagus_kitty Senior Member

That specific site tells you on each generator how they 'came up' with each set or style of name. Unless you mean 'the exact process the computer uses to achieve the stated goal', in which case...no idea. lol

6. Gadock

Gadock Active Member

That's what I wanted to know, where can I find this though? :eek:

7. animagus_kitty

On fantasynamegenerator, at least, every single individual generator tells you what pieces the names are constructed from. Sometimes it's baby name lists, sometimes it's syllables, sometimes it's actual names from history/mythology/relevant fiction.

8. Gadock

Gadock Active Member

I founded it a bit vague when it comes to fantasy names. For example "This generator randomly combines pre-defined vowels, consonants and specific ends to create names which resemble those of real demons." I wanted to know how they came up with the pre-defined vowels.

9. animagus_kitty

I see. Well, 'real demons' probably means Christian demons, unless I'm thinking of the wrong generator and there's a Hindu/Egyptian/other generator that uses (what Christians would refer to as) pagan demons. So that generator would be trying to come up with names that feel or sound like 'demon names'.
    Most Christian demons (and Diablo angels, and other similar races) use what I think of as 'Greek vowels'--Tyrael, Mephistopheles, Balthazar (I'm not immediately familiar with non-Greek or Indus Valley languages using 'alth' and 'azar', especially not at the same time)...does that make any sense?
    I guess I just take that for granted. I've never really struggled with racial names (or more accurately, coming up with names that 'feel' like they fit a verbal stereotype). So if you tell me that 'Boromir' is an elven name, I'm going to tell you that it's not, because that's not how Tolkien's elves built their names. Or if you said that a proto-Germanic couple named their daughter Moira. No, no they didn't, unless they knew/of an Irishwoman named Moira and named her after that person. Moira isn't a German name.

I suppose that my problem is that I don't understand your problem. Most fantasy races have certain elements that are common to their language or naming conventions, and the name generator tries to emulate those conventions.

10. Gadock

Gadock Active Member

My main problem is I'm shit with language :p Anything I see and read I like to approach with (scientific) reasoning. I don't have a feeling with names really, if you told me Boromir as a Demon/Elf/Human/ or even a bloody species, I will take it because that's how it's named.

11. animagus_kitty

Ah. So we're coming to this generator from completely opposite directions, which leads to the confusion. I see the problem now, I guess.
    You're talking to the girl who submitted a ticket in Lord of the Rings Online because one of the quests had the English plural instead of the Dunedan plural. Naming conventions is something that's...just always come easily to me. Give me a set of vowels and I'll go nuts.

Is there still a question here or is this just a conversation now? :-D

12. Gadock

Gadock Active Member

I guess that ^^ I do babble too easily. Anyways thanks for the info!

13. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

was there ever a question ? It was more a "we've got a new resource.. discuss" type thread

14. animagus_kitty

Gad asked a question. I wasn't sure if I'd answered it and we'd progressed to conversing about the nature of names, or if s/he was still confused.