Fantasy Novelist's Quiz

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Ommonite, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

This is one reason why I never joined the Fencing Club in college...

2. Last1Left

Last1Left Active Member

Hahaha, yeah, it gets kinda ridiculous. That's where all my money goes to :(

3. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

Yeah, I thought as much. But that isn't narrative is it? Why would you do that in your novel? ... unless its one of those 'turn to page 6 if you go left' books (sorry I'm sure there's a formal word but I can't remember it, too early too little caffeine.) If I'm honest (sheepishly spoken from under the desk) the whole phrasing of that sentence sent my mind into a spin!! :p Thanks for the heads up though, Scattercat. Much appreciated. :)

Btw, the fencing team at uni were awesome, can't believe how flexible you need to be!! :eek: I play squash so you've gotta be quite felxible, but those guys could out lunge us lot easily!! :p

4. Scattercat

Scattercat Active Member

I think the suggestion was more to say that if your novel is based so heavily on the (admittedly rather trite by now) notions of D&D that you can and have given your characters stats, or (even worse! OMG!) that you have attempted to turn a D&D campaign and your beloved characters into a novel, that such a novel will perforce, by the judgement of the author of the list, be bad.

In my experience, games rarely produce good fiction, and good fiction rarely makes for good games, but that's a whole separate issue.

5. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Keep it civil people. If this slides any further towards flaming, then I will close the thread.

6. Ungood

Ungood New Member

You are thinking of the pre-1800's rapier which alongside the epee was a thrusting/cutting weapon. The Epee is simply what the French called the Rapier weapon.

The per 1800's epee is nothing like what you are fencing with today because the sword itself by style and use underwent a cultural change, the Rapier joined it. In that regard I was talking about the post 1800 rapier weapon that you know of and used today as the epee.

$90, that's a good price.

I believe they are called 'choose your own adventure' or something like that. Been done for many different styles of books, from mystery to fantasy adventure.

Many fantasy authors do play or get involved in D&D as well as a variety of other 'fantasy games' like Magic the Gathering, Warhammer, that click game (Can't think of the name - Hero clicks?) as well as games like Vampire the masquerade.

Sometimes people feel inspired to write a story based on their campaign adventures, this is not a bad thing, but like "Fan Fiction" the sheer volume of 'really bad stuff' that results from this tends to leave a poor impression in most people and they start to develop a predisposition towards the style of work.

There is also a desire by many game-players to figure out the stats of a 'fantasy' figure, like people that argue what the stats of Conan may be.

Just like Fan Fiction, there are some good works done in this format, and like anything one should look at individual works and authors as opposed to just a concept as a whole.

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

This thread is causing too much bad feeling, and was ill advised to begin with, whether it was supposed to be humorous or not. It's giving me a headache, so...

*click*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.