Fantasy Worlds

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Lord Loss, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Etan Isar

Etan Isar Contributor Contributor

Lol... it always reminds me of the name "vladimir", which sounds "evil" to me because of Baron Harkonnen in Dune. But I don't hold that against it.

2. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Ha ha, yeah! Weald is indeed from Anglo-Saxon origin. :p
    And about the good and bad sides, it really depends. Maybe your good side is an order of people who work in secrecy and are great magic-users and fighters who strive for the greater good, you can give them names like The Keepers, The Warders or The Rangers. You get the point.

3. rog

rog New Member

In regards to name / title IP rights, you should use caution as such can be copy protected, especially 'fantasy' names.

Reference : Tolkien Enterprises vs TSR - Fiend Folio (out of court settlement).

TSR had used a Balrog, their own illustrated version, within their book. But that did not violate Tolkien IP rights ... it was the name Balrog, which was made-up and copy protected by Tolkien. That is why Fiend Folio vanished from the shelves and is a rare item indeed (own 8 copies, 7 mint, 1 used).

Also, using fantasy language (web generated) converters could very well violate IP rights, being Elvish: Orcish, Klingon or what ever. Though, they can give you ideas, you just need to manipulate for your own needs.

On a side note, a short introduction of your work (without giving away your unique idea) would provide a good reference for those who wish to contribute toward your needs. It is hard to create a name without knowing exactly what is to be named.

For instance : I need a name for a new born!

People will assume automatically that the new born is Human ... is it ? Thus, everyone will provide names that will not work.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn New Member

It's an Indian (Native American) nation. Based around Wisconsin and surrounding areas, if I'm not mistaken.

5. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

Oh! It seems I was really lost. I thought it was Egyptian... Maybe here avatar led me to think so. :p