Father is a stripper

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Oswiecenie, Aug 31, 2016.

1. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

She might ignore him for twenty years. All reference would have to be oblique. Though 'stripping' might be a little tired, well trodden? Perhaps he massages people's feet. you know, foot sex types, or brushes ladies' hair two hundred times either side? They love that, lucrative I think.

Sifunkle likes this.
  2. MarcT

MarcT Active Member

I still think it's a great subject to write about, The Full Monty notwithstanding.
    The fun you could have with the characters, the scene settings and the descriptions. Those above all.

3. Oswiecenie

Oswiecenie Active Member

Too oddly specific. Stripping is a much more obvious choice to make some money in a difficult situation.

4. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

A mobile pet wash and groom, wears a waterbottle strapped to his back?

5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

The way your MC reacts is going to depend on her personality, values, morals etc. How concerned is she of what other people think? Is she perhaps religious, in which case sex work would be seen as immoral and ungodly or something? Maybe she's embarrassed, maybe she doesn't even understand why someone would do that, but then will slowly accept and understand his point of view and grow as a person. It's also possible that she's taken aback because she's not used to men doing what's usually seen as a woman's job (sex work). There are a lot possibilities, and only you can decide on what works best.

My company held a farewell party to one female manager, and I thought I went to see a dinner & show. By the time the 40-something, tattooed, not all that muscle-bound dude appeared on-stage, the women were swooning. :ohno: I don't think there was even any reason for that to happen, it was purely gratuitous. He wasn't a stripper, but I could see plenty of ladies wanting to see him go full monty.

Oswiecenie and MarcT like this.
  6. Oswiecenie

Oswiecenie Active Member

I never actually thought about the differences in the perception of male sex work vis-a-vis female sex work. Should be an interesting topic to tackle.