Favorite Characters

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Gigi_GNR, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

Calanthe from The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit by Storm Constantine. I'm not a fan of sci-fi, and this book didn't change that, but I read it purely because I liked Calanthe. He was a sweet charcter, very straight-forward and seemed to have a good head on his shoulders.

Fee from Edinburgh by Alexander Chee. I often favour supporting characters to protagonists but this is one novel where I absolutely adored the MC. It's interesting to watch him grow-up over the course of the novel.

Nakata and Oshima from Kafka on the Shore. Nakata was hilarious and is the only elderly character I've ever been really drawn to in fiction. Oshima was just interesting from start to finish and I loved his logic.

O'Brien from Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell. Simply brilliant.

2. Omahx

Omahx New Member

I have loads! But...

Eragon from The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. He is brave, loyal and passionate. And Brom and Saphira. Loyal, brave, wise and blunt. :)

Harry Potter, and Fred and George of course. Harry Potter series, by JK Rowling. Oh, and Ron, Hermoine, Ginny, Dumbledore... DUMBLEDORE!

And many more...

:)

3. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Rat Kiley from the Things They Carried. He's a medic in Vietnam, with comic books. What happens to him makes me cry. Also, a troll.

Ford Perfect from Hitchhiker's Guide. Mad and hilarious, a troll.

Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. A badass, charming troll.

Fluttershy from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Impossible not to love. Also a troll.

Kamina from Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Badass awesome leader and troll.

Kikuchiyo from Seven Samurai. Badass awesome troll.

House from House MD. Ultimate badass intellectual troll.

Snape from Harry Potter. A troll with a heart of gold. Plus he hates Harry Potter, so I love him. Have I mentioned he is a troll?

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

You like trolls? ;)

5. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

Nope. Can't stand trolls. Hate every last one of them.

6. ShadowScribbler

ShadowScribbler New Member

Severus Snape from the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling. A fantastic, well-rounded, tri-dimensional character. Loved him to pieces (and I was Team Severus before Deathly Hallows so ha!)
    Saphira from the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. She was just lovely and I will admit that at one point I fantasized about her and Eragon developing romantic feelings for each other (in a purely platonic way, beastophilia freaks me out) but I'm okay with it not happening. It just made sense okay? They love each other so much :')
    The Vampire Armand from Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. His story was so sad and fascinating and captivated me before I learned to hate Anne Rice's work.
    Zaphod Beeblebrux from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The fact that he calls random people 'cats' like I do, made me love him. He is an egomaniac and that is something that endears him to me.
    Stepan Arkàdyich from Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. I loved him from the first page and how he thought his wife was only angry because he smiled when she accused him of cheating -- he's an absolute dolt.
    Cross De Lena from The Last Don. Don't want to spoil it for anyone but Cross is awesome.

7. Croga

Croga New Member

Rorschach, Jon Osterman and the Comedian from the watchmen.
    John Rain from Barry Eisler's John Rain Thriller series.
    Lord Henry Wotton from Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray.
    Sam Cayhall from Grisham's The Chamber.
    Brigance and Carl lee hailey from Grisham's a Time to kill.
    Jack Torrence from King's The shining.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Rorschach, Jon Osterman and the Comedian from the watchmen.
    John Rain from Barry Eisler's John Rain Thriller series.
    Lord Henry Wotton from Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray.
    Sam Cayhall from Grisham's The Chamber.
    Brigance and Carl lee hailey from Grisham's a Time to kill.
    Jack Torrence from King's The shining.

8. slurpy_NinJa

slurpy_NinJa Member

I have this thing for anti-heros. They have their own journeys that don't always involve saving the world; instead focusing on more personal battles. Then there are the more evil anti-heroes that do want to destroy the world but eventually level out. The great thing about these type of characters is watching them develope of time. Some have such tragic and compelling stories that you can't help but go for the bad guy. Some of my favorites include:

Darth Bane-Darth Bane SW: EU novels (he practically reinvented the Sith)
    Conan the Barbarian- the Hyperion Age short stories
    Sawyer-LOST
    Sylar-Heroes
    Piccolo & Vegeta-Dragon Ball Z
    Wolverine-Marvel (I know he's everyone & their mom's favorite but still)

Note: Michael Fassbender's performance as Magneto in X-Men: First Class basically redefined the character of Magneto for me. So if Fassbender were an anti-hero in real life, I'd put him on this list too :D

9. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

FitzChivalry Farseer from Robin Hobb's Realm of the Elderlings is one heck of a character. Barring Hobb and GRRM, I tend not to enjoy much fantasy these days, though Hobb's excellence in world- and character-building keep me coming back for more. Fitz is perfectly human - yeah, he can be a whiny kid moping around about girls and at times he's a frustrating character to read through the point of view of, but it's the flaws which make him a far more believable person. From the same series, the Fool is a fascinating character, although I've yet to read The Liveship Traders. Hobb's character development is as good as any I've come across in fantasy.

Roland Deschain is another character I like, though for completely different reasons. He's implacable, a machine in his quest for the Dark Tower. He is the irresistible force your parents told you met an immovable object somewhere down the line. Read the first four books of the series, and watch his character grow.

Along the same lines, Cheradenine Zekalwe fromUse of Weapons is another fascinating character. Another dark past, with more secrets than you can shake a stick at. Again, expert character development makes the character three-dimensional. Plus, he pops up again later down the line (although at that point he's less interesting - at least, compared to what's going on elsewhere).

In other forms of media - Darth Vader (original trilogy). Sorry to go all fanboy, but he's been my hero since I was a kid. A seven-foot man clad in black with that distinctive breathing and an ability to choke people to death at will? Fear and awe.

10. slurpy_NinJa

slurpy_NinJa Member

It goes without saying but I'll say it: Best character in Star Wars period.

11. TheFictionalMan

TheFictionalMan Member

Sherlock Homes and Watson, Han Solo and Luke Skywalker (star wars novels), Odysseus and Achilles, Winston Smith and Big Brother (whether he Physically exists or not) and Dante.

12. milagros

milagros New Member

I love Elizabeth from "Pride and Prejudice" and Hermiona from Harry Potter

13. ILoveWriting

ILoveWriting New Member

Jude McGregor from Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman. Because I like his way with violence.
    James Adams from CHERUB because fun, loyal and strong.

Can't think of any others

14. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

Alex, from A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.
    Ned Land, from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne.
    The HAL 9000 computer from 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    Doc, from Cannery Row by John Steinbeck.

15. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Rorschach, the Doctor, Jon Snow, Arya Stark, let's just go ahead and name the rest of the Starks, and most of the Lannisters....

I just love ASOIAF's characters. A lot. :D

16. Cassiopeia Phoenix

Cassiopeia Phoenix New Member

Snape (don't judge me), Jane Rizzoli, Zuko, Tyrion Lannister, Mr. Darcy... Maura Isles, too. That's it.

17. SparkIdeaRevelation

SparkIdeaRevelation New Member

No love for Legolas from LOTR? For shame. Lol.

Neville!

Azoth - Night Angel Trilogy

Also, Beatrice Prior - Divergent; for trudging on with cunning, despite everything she went through.

18. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Here's just a few ...

Harriet M Welch from Harriet the Spy - a fellow acerbic writer and one of the best children's characters
    ever created!

Winnie the Pooh - can't get tired of this bear

Miss Havisham - you have to admire her loony dedication - from Charles Dickens' Great Expectations

Tim - From Colleen McCullough's Tim - a sweet beautiful , slightly slow, love interest.

19. Justin Richards

Justin Richards New Member

Ender Wiggan (as a child) from Ender's Game.
    Billy Pilgrim from Slaughterhouse-Five.

20. Bagabon

Bagabon Banned

Inigo Montoya of course! Love him.
    I also love Logen and Ferro from the first law trilogy, but I'd have to say my favorite character from those books is most definitely Glokta.
    Hmm... Kvothe is an easy answer as well, clever and badass in his own right. And if you read Goblin Quest, who couldn't like Jig?

21. The Magnan

The Magnan Active Member

Tehol and his manservant Bugg. In real life, their conversations are pure gold. Need I say more, oh and I like Shadow Dancer and Shadowthrone. These are from the Malazan Book of the Fallen

22. Phil Burrow

Phil Burrow New Member

Aenea - Endymion books by Dan Simmonds
    Anakin Solo - Star by Star, Troy Denning
    Prince Kheldar "Silk" - From the Belgariad, Mallorean series by David Eddings.
    Arya Stark - Game of thrones
    Lord Vetinari - Terry Pratchett
    Kail of the Bloodguard - The chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson
    Briar Wilkes - Boneshaker by Cherie Priest
    Zusa - From the Shadowdance trilogy by David Dalglish

So yeah I like sci-fi, fantasy, steampunk books:)

23. niallohagan

niallohagan New Member

Connavar and Bane from David Gemmell's Rigante series. Bigwig from Watershipdown and Larry Underwood from The Stand

24. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

How could I have forgotten Mowgli, Baloo, and Bagheera from Kipling's Jungle Books? And the loyal, feisty little mongoose Rikki-Tikki-Tavi as well.

We also have to mention Hunter S. Thompson. He's a character in his own books, so he counts!

25. Iogairn

Iogairn New Member

I'd have to say Samuel Vimes from the Discworld. Cynical, intelligent and hates the upper classes.
    Although Manchee from Chaos Walking would be a close run up as well as Asher, Gar and Matthias from Kingmaker, Kingbreaker.

And while some say characters weren't Tolkien's strong point, his world was, there were loads of characters I liked. The Hobbits (but not Frodo). Faramir and Boromir. Barliman Butterbur. And even though you probably don't know who he was, Hama.