1. ToBeInspired

ToBeInspired Senior Member

Favorite Fictional Characters?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by ToBeInspired, Jan 25, 2019.

Just interested in seeing some people's favorite fictional characters and perhaps a brief explanation as to why.

Here's a few of mine:
    Cashel from The Lord of the Isle's series
    Matt Cauthim from The Wheel of Time series
    Kylar Stern from The Night Angel trilogy

Each have traits that make caused me to become invested in them:
    Cashel -- Honest, dependable, strength of will
    Matt -- Lovable rogue who does the right thing in the end
    Kylar -- Even through emotional conflict remains loyal to those he holds dear.

How about some of you?

Bone2pick likes this.
  2. Veltman

Veltman Active Member

Mr. Robert Edwin House, ruler of New Vegas, from the game Fallout: New Vegas. Voiced by the great René Alberjonois.
    He's just one of these characters that completely wins you over. His dialogue is certainly the best I have ever experienced in any video-game.

3. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Howard Roark-- The Fountainhead, because he stood by his ideals.

Unlike, "Who Is John Gault?" from Atlas Shrugged. I didn't before, but now I see that he was actually kind of anti-climatic once we as readers finally meet him.

Matt E likes this.
  4. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

My favorite characters often come as pairs or triplerts. The interaction points the most interesting dimensions of characters.

Jeeves - Bertie
    Sandi - Bosambo
    Don Camillo - Peppone
    Samuel Väsy - Tuplavahinko
    Ender - his opponents
    Emil - his father
    Moominpappa - Moominmamma
    Snufkin-Moomintroll
    Little My - the orderly side of life
    Uuno Turhapulo - Vuoristoneuvos Tuura
    Rokka - Lammio
    Hunter S. Thompson - The Real World
    Sam Vimes - Patrician
    Archcansellor - Rincewind
    Tiffany Aching - (the snobby one, can't remember her name)

The point?

A character is only o part of that character. A character needs to have a mirror which is not an antagonist but something that completes the character of the character.

Hammer likes this.
  5. Manuforti

Manuforti Active Member

Trevor from GTAV, such an amazing little piece of satire, on the worst aspects of the people who play GTAV.

I may not be spelling this correctly Cheraldine Zakalwe? Protagonist from Use Of Weapons by Ian M Banks. Everything an anti hero should be.

Everyone in the basketball team in Tibor Fisher's Under the Frog.

6. EBohio

EBohio Banned

So, this thread was about gaming and not books?

7. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Harriet M. Welch - from Harriet the Spy - she writes, she spies, and she refuses to be an onion. Great advice for me as a writer - be observant. Bad advice for me as a child - peeping in windows did not pan out well.

Tim - the title character from Colleen McCulloughs book. He's mentally challenged and sweet but I love how Colleen set up the fact that his character - just because he was sweet wasn't going to be instantly loved by all. She does a great job of layering his interpersonal challenges without getting sentimental.

Tucker - he's a mouse, he lives in a drainpipe in the Times Square subway station, his best friend is a cat and a cricket, he steals from a lunch counter, his most prize
    possession is the broken heel of a woman's shoe. From George Selden's books. I love the humor in these books. Tucker especially, he played hot head to Harry the Cat's rational side.

Jane Eyre - the ultimate female heroine - she feels worthy of love but can't seem to catch a break and when she dares to love someone outside her station aside from some complications manages it. My idea of a strong woman! Patient, won't compromise her ideals, unwilling to settle for less, and ultimately willing to take on the challenge of having got her man but not quite the dream life.

8. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

It says "fictional characters". It doesn't specify from which medium.

Now, my personal favorites:

Geralt of Rivia, from The Witcher series. Beneath the gruff exterior and resistance to getting involved with anything outside his job is a fundamentally good man who refuses to compromise his morals.

Batman. After his parents were murdered, it would've been easy for Bruce Waybe to sit in his mansion on a hill and wallow in despair and self-pity. It would've been easy to become a vengeance obsessed killer a lá the Punisher. But he didn't. At its core, Bruce being Batman is about trying to ensure no one else ever experiences what he did.

Honor Harrington from the series of the same name by David Weber. I always liked her unflinching sense of duty even in the face of terrible odds.

Jyn Erso from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. I really enjoyed her journey from self-interested freelancer to a true believer in the rebellion. Standing up to a regime like the Galactic Empire even when things seem hopeless takes tremendous strength of character.

Bone2pick and Matt E like this.
  9. LadyErica

LadyErica Active Member

A few of mine.

Nina Wilde/Eddie Chase, from the Andy McDermott books. At first, I had little hopes for these two idiots. The first book is all about the hunt for Atlantis (yawn...), and other than an absurd amount of action, it's not reall all that special. But there is a few twists at the end I really love, and Nina and Eddie has a great chemistry between then. By now I'm reading the 12th book in the series, and I'm still enjoying it quite a lot. This particular book is pretty boring for the most part, and I'm debating with myself if I should stop reading it. Only finished half, and it's not all that interesting. But I have the next book on my Kindle, and know there are at least one or two books more after that. Nina and Eddie's relationship have grown a lot since the first book, and McDermott is a much better writer now than in the first books.

Stevie Rae, from House of Night. Another series I had little hopes for, but ended up devouring. It starts with the typical teen vampire stuff, and is clearly inspired by Harry Potter. It's just a slightly more adult series, with "vampires". They don't really share anything in common with any vampires I know, but nevermind that. Other than staying up all night and sleeping during the day, but they can go outside in the sun, if they feel like it. And thankfully, they don't sparke. Lol. But they don't drink blood, don't have fangs, don't turn into bats, aren't undead or anything like that, either. To be honest, I don't know why they are even called vampires. Maybe because they had to be called something, and wizards were taken. (They do have magic, though.) But anyway, I loved the books a lot, and Stevie Rae was cuteness incarnated. Maybe a bit too heavy on the country bumpkin stereotype at times, but I don't mind that.

Jason Voorhooes. Easily one of my favorite movie monsters of all time, and yet, I don't know anything about him at all. Where did he get his powers? Why is he an adult, when he died as a kid? Friday 13th: Part 2 says he didn't die after all, but if that's the case, why did he revert back to a kid in Part 8? But maybe that's the beauty of it. 11 or so movies so far with him, everyone knows who he is, and he's one of the biggest iconics in horror movie history. And yet, no one knows anything about him at all. He's a mystery, and should be kept that way. Freddy's a douchebag. Michael Mayers an idiot. But Jason? He's just... Jason. And that's all he ever needs to be. :)

10. The Bishop

The Bishop Senior Member

Tyrion Lannister, do I even have to say what it's from?
    Billy Costigan from The Departed as well
    Lord Baelish and Lord Varys because their interactions are really well made and they sound great when speaking between one another.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  11. Prose and Prejudice

Prose and Prejudice New Member

Elizabeth Bennet (maybe a little cliched on this one!) - independent and feisty in a precarious social situation, willing to preserve and uphold her own values despite a risk of economic ruin and failure to marry into a suitable social class; subverting archetypal norms in the 19th century by maintaining moral framework. Also - sassy!

Count Alexander Rostov (from 'A Gentleman in Moscow) - beautiful aged gentlemen trying to find his way in a society that he doesn't understand, desperately clinging onto obsolete values and customs whilst grappling with his understanding of identity

12. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

Tyrion Lannister — All dwarves are bastards in their fathers’ eyes.

Kvothe Kingkiller — He’s smart and can play a mean tune on the lute.

Shallan Davar — Witty and unpredictable

John “Black Jack” Geary — Devious, professional, and always humble.

Queen Kettricken — She knows what it means to sacrifice herself for her people. Not just in noble displays of valor but everyday.

Honor Harrington — Let’s be about it!

13. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Becky Sharp
    Alice
    Claudius
    Tyrion Lannister
    Elizabeth Bennet
    Paul Atreides
    Ivan Denisovich
    Mary Yellen
    Melanie (Magic Toyshop)

14. Manuforti

Manuforti Active Member

Are they going to do a decent reboot of Dune?

Boxset rather than feature film hopefully.

Rincewind from discworld.
    Death from discworld.
    Yossarian from catch 22.

Chigurh(?) From No Country for Old Men!

Zaphod from Hitchhiker's

Alan Aspie likes this.
  15. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Captain Grimes, The Patrician and DEATH. :) The inimitable Terry Pratchett creations. And many others....

16. Manuforti

Manuforti Active Member

A black Coat of Arms on a black background.

Alan Aspie and jannert like this.
  17. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

If we're talking books:
    • Eve Dallas from JD Robb's In Death series
    • Amelia Sachs from Jeffery Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme books
    • Peter from Austin Chant's Peter Darling (the character is ostensibly Peter Pan, but it's an amazing re-imagining of the character)
    • Jessica Trent from Loretta Chase's Lord of Scoundrels
    • Dylan Strauss from Annabeth Albert's Off Base
    • Levi Abrams and Dominic Russo from Cordelia Kingsbridge's Seven of Spades series

18. Alan Aspie

Susan, Nobby Nobbs, CMOT Dibbler, Albert, Detritus, Dean, Daft Wullie, Nanny Ogg, Cohen the Barbarian, Lu Tze - Sweeper...

(I think that Lu Tze character must be one of us active&odds.)

Ellara Zemar and jannert like this.
  19. Manuforti

Manuforti Active Member

Ah, I was very sad when he died. I can't really find anything else I'm happy to read as a 13 year old and a 30 year old.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  20. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Detritus! And I've forgotten the name of that vampire. Loved him as well. And, of course, Granny Weatherwax. And Gaspode. And Carrot. And the Librarian. Well...just about everybody. I did get fed up with Rincewind, though. (Although I loved The Luggage.)

21. Alan Aspie

Millenium hand and shrimps!

We almost forgot Foul Ole Ron and other classic style gentlemen.

And Igor, which you must not confuse to Igor, Igor, Igor, Igor, Igor or Igor.

And...

https://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/List_of_Pratchett_characters

jannert likes this.
  22. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

From Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials books... Lyra Belacqua and her dæmon Pantalaimon.

jannert likes this.
  23. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Vlad Taltos, the easterner assassin of the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust. He's an interesting character with a variety of adventures in a fantasy setting.

Corwin, of Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber. Ambitious and rugged.

Eddie from Mitch Albom's the Five People You Meet in Heaven. An average guy who believed his life was a waste, but it actually wasn't.

Iain Sparrow likes this.
  24. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

Clarice Starling from Silence of the Lambs - she was an underdog with incredible strength and intelligence.
    Jo March Little Women - I always saw her a very brave. Someone who wouldn't fall into line with the constraints of her world.
    Humbert in Lolita - he is a deeply flawed man and I hated him, but for some reason I couldn't stop reading. It was very brave of the author to write such a character and it was the first time I read anything from an unreliable narrator.

25. l nimbus

l nimbus Member

Catherine Foundling from A Practical Guide to Evil. She's the perfect representation of a person willingly doing evil with good intentions, and making hard choices to save her country. Points for being a likeable villian, general badass, and mouthing off the gods.
    More or less the entire cast of APGTE.
    Entire cast of The Wandering Inn, which is MASSIVE ( I have a soft spot for Zel Shivertail, and that puts him above the others. )
    Morgan from Skyclad.
    Taniel and Ka-Poel from the Powder mage series.
    Issabella from Nighthunter. An immortal succubus with confused feelings for her new master/lover, a reincarnated human women who turned into a dark elf. Their relationship is delicious.

Some of my own characters, particularly Briqa Greyaxe from Invincible Canadian Hermaphrodite Goddess Cultivator ( the title's a joke ).

MANY. Many others.