Favorite Video Game Genre

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kratos, Sep 20, 2008.

?

Favorite Video Game Genre

1. Action/Adventure

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Shooter

12 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Platformer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sports/Racing

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Fighting

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  6. Role-Playing

15 vote(s)
    41.7%
  7. Strategy

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. Puzzle

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  9. Simulations

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Orako

Orako New Member

I am a huge Shooter fan. I have been playing shooters for years and have played every single Call of duty and Medal of Honor. I love WWII movie and when a good game comes around I have to play it. Call of Duty 2 is my all time favorite game.

2. Still Life

Still Life Active Member

Sorry, but I read to avoid physical activity. :D DDR and some wii games I use for exercise to avoid going to the gym.

I hardly play games anymore, though once in a while I like to dust off my Suikoden 1 & 2 and FF7. I would say I prefer RPG, but I realize that I actually have more fun doing DDR and Marvels vs. Capcom at the arcade.

3. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

The only sports game i keep going back to is Madden, as arcady as it is, i love it.

And NFl season is about to kick off soon isnt it -mmmmmmadden!

4. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

RPGs, action and I'll admit I quite like fighters. :p
    Been an nintendo fan since I could hold a controller but since then the house has been filled with all games consoles so there's always something to play!

5. Dante Dases

Dante Dases Contributor Contributor

Very seldom do I play games anymore, but when I do it always ends up being Pro Evo 2008 for a few games of football. Or Football Manager.

Used to really like RPGs, but I simply haven't the patience with games anymore to complete any. I prefer other forms of entertainment these days.

6. Westhouse

Westhouse New Member

Silent Hill 2! (Favorite game). I really enjoy playing the MGS series, halo with a bit of friends (not on Xbox live), and Counterstrike.

7. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

Shooters easily.

I'm yet to play a good RPG. I bought Elder Scrolls IV cheap, put it in the pathetic 360 only to find the graphics and character movement were probably the worst I've ever seen, let alone the combat, and haven't been interested in going back to it anytime soon ...

So it'll be Resistance 2, Far Cry 2 and Gears of War 2 for me in the coming months.

8. rumplestiltzkin

rumplestiltzkin New Member

No good RPGs? Gasp......

I love RPGs, I couldn't live without them. I play them for the story, really, and I've found that the Final Fantasy games are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy overrated.

9. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I agree for every one before III and after VIII.

10. Speedy

I tried playing 12 the other day, and i was grinding the levels out (dont ask why, the game is the easiest FF their is! and after a while i was trying to remember what the plot of the game was.....their really is no story is their lol.

Not as bad a blue dragon, lets never go there.

Braught FF6 (3) today on ds, good memories when ff was cool (story/character wise)

11. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I just bought FFX and FFXII, although I don't have a PS2 yet...

I'm getting one later this week. The only FFs I've played are III, IV, VI, and XII:RW, and I haven't beat any of them.

X and XII look really good. XII was my must-have for the PS2.

And Final Fantasy 6 isn't on DS...its on GBA. The FFIII for DS is really FFIII, not FFVI.

12. Speedy

Its ok, with each installment (aprt frim ff 1,2,3) they just keep getting easier.

FF8 was the only one i had troubles with and beating the ultimate weapons in 7 - fighting for 90 minutes was a pain, but worthwhile.

You'll finish 12 if you dont get bored.

13. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Well, someone has to say it: Kefka > Sephiroth.

14. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

:eek:

Oh no you didn't!

The only villain who could ever beat Seppy is Ganondorf (that would be one awesome battle... Link vs Cloud hmmm)

15. Speedy

I think anyone who has played 6 would agree on this.

I thin k their both pretty good considering what has come in 8,9,10 and 12 (which is nothing decent).

16. Kratos

Kratos New Member

What's with all the hate for FFXII? Does "Universal Acclaim" and 40/40 from Famitsu mean it's bad? I love deep, complex plots involving empires and wars and such, and I don't get confused by that stuff easily.

And although I've only played up 'til you get Gau on FFVI (rented it) and I've never played FFVII (although I've watched AC), Kefka does seem pretty awesome.

17. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Pshaw! The greatest game villain of all time is clearly your opponent in pong. Seriously, I'd like to see Sepiroth, Gandondorf, and all those other guys beat a couple pixels that can bounce balls!

18. Speedy

[/quote]What's with all the hate for FFXII? Does "Universal Acclaim" and 40/40 from Famitsu mean it's bad? I love deep, complex plots involving empires and wars and such, and I don't get confused by that stuff easily.[/quote

And although I've only played up 'til you get Gau on FFVI (rented it) and I've never played FFVII (although I've watched AC), Kefka does seem pretty awesome.[/quote]

No hate, but number 12 really doesnt have any plot compared to prevous games (6,7,8)

I dont mind it, the games got my mini quest then the bible has pages.

Famistu, as much as i respect it, they also gave like blue dragon a decent score which worries me.

19. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Blue Dragon is really good if your into retro (and I mean really retro) gaming. That's also kind of the problem. There's a reason it's retro :p.

Famistu is the most strict and harsh game reviewer I know (along with early X-Play) so I usually give them high mind when looking for new games. Game Informer is pretty good too (but mostly because their tastes and what makes them good or bad seems to be similar to mine, so they're good reviewers to browse for my tastes).

20. Speedy

As big as retro is in the world today (i mean i know i was an 80's kid), theirs no real plac for it in console games.. (not take me too serious with what i just said then), but putting a "retro" game on a console thats rpg hungry lol

It looked ok, but the english translation on it was so bad, it wasent funny.

Gameplay = OMG yuk lol

Dont get my started on the ending, i should have saw it a mile off.

Was a good buy for $10 though, i'll give it that.

21. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Man, there is no love for Kuja on this forum. :( :p

He's my second favorite ff villain, after Sephiroth. Though Kefka is pretty awesome as well. I have to agree with the others, ff12 was a little boring. That's why I haven't finished it yet. I think the best ones were IV, VI, VII, and VIII. Ten was alright, and I haven't played much of eight so I can't say if it was good or not.

22. Speedy

I was reading an article somewhere (an=bout all these people who want a remake of 7 and8) and he said if he can get the team together they may do it (after they make FF13 and FFv13) but i remember there being a team of 100 on it, good luck.

Getting back to topic, i see red alert 3 is coming out soon. Cant say i ever played a stategy game on console, the thought of no mouse kind of freaks me out.

I heard the other C@C was pretty fast on it, but i couldnt pick it up, as much as i loved them previously