1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  9. Simulations

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Favorite Video Game Genre

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Kratos, Sep 20, 2008.

Here's a question for video game fans. What's your favorite genre of video games?

For me I'd say RPGs. I love the epic storylines and strategic gameplay.

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I like my strategy games :D

3. Kratos

Kratos New Member

My favorites are actually RPG/Strategy hybrids, like Fire Emblem. But I classified it under RPG.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Civilization, all the way :)

5. Gladiatus

Gladiatus New Member

Sports! :D

Fifa, Madden and Footbal manager are the only games i play lol!

But I love strategy, eg World in Conflict and Red alert.

6. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Its hard to pic one but I have been playing an increasing number of strategy games as of late. I like shooters too, but my favorite series is the Total War series. I'm especially excited for the upcoming Empire:Total War.

7. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Either shooters or strategy

8. Gamecat

Gamecat New Member

Shooters and strategy all the way for me, although I only really play shooters online as I keep getting my arse handed to me when I try stategy.

9. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Rpg/strategy hybrids are my favorite too, especially the final fantasy tactics series.

10. Shadow Dragon

Shadow Dragon Contributor Contributor

Rpgs are my favorite, though I also really like real time strategy and turn-based strategy games aswell.

11. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

RPG and TRPG.

12. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I'm a huge fan of Fire Emblem, and I'm planning to buy one of these two games:

-Final Fantasy Tactics A2
    -Disgaea DS

Which is better?

13. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Disgaea. But check out the Final Fantasy Tactics 1 for GBA. It's better than the sequel. I wrote a huge blog post in my blog outlining why, but I'll quote the good part:
    It doesn't have any significant spoilers (but it does have some... I made this review when I was barely 10-12 missions into the game, which was yesterday).
    One “New Game” later I was dumped in a 10 year old kid’s thought stream about how school was lame, and something about her aunt and then a seemingly useless poll. What will you do this summer? Do you have a goal for the summer? And something else I can’t (or won’t) remember. Then, this teacher annoys the main character for being late THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL. But what? The library? All right! The Grimoire! And what’s that?! A teddy bear? A reference to the previous FFTA! Press A; Read; Press A; read. I wasn’t aware of the horror until much later… Until about 4 missions later in the story and after you meet a annoyingly cute character (unlike montblanc who was simply annoying) that goes by the name of Adelle, you get some info about what you’re doing here, etc.

Long-story short, the way to leave this world (which the main character was totally against, as any rational person *cough*****youmarche*cough*, excuse me I need some cough drops) is by filling the mysterious journal. How do you that? By doing stuff (i.e missions). Yeah, digest that for a second. The premise is that to get out, you have to do missions. That’s the storyline.

The gameplay was similar enough. Most jobs returned, some new ones came back and two new races appeared. From a purely gameplay-driven perspective I’d say that the new races weren’t needed. They have few jobs and they could have been assimilated by other races. There are new enough jobs that the innovation is palpable but there is also a new system that doesn’t allow you to access certain jobs unless you clear a specific quest. There were also some new items in the isometric battle maps, like traps and chests. Nice additions to the gameplay. I can’t complain here (even though I want to).
    The music didn’t really change from FFTA 1 to FFTA 2. But I love that because Hitoshi Sakimoto’s music is really awesome, even if it’s sometimes repetitives (like from game to game, hehe).

The graphics are better, but I really disliked the new direction the “detailed” portraits took. The “anime” looking avatars for each unit are now… I don’t know. More whimsical? They’re different and while that isn’t bad by itself, it is when you mess with a perfectly good part of the game. For example the viera now have extremely long ears and an opaque pink blush points in each cheek, and every character now has a pointy chin and a long face. In FFTA the difference was the heads shape (smaller and more defined) and the ears, which were moderately sized contrasting the HUGE ears they have now. Although FFTA2 isn’t the only ones to have this vieras, though.

Looking through all these points you might deduct the truth: I don’t hate the game. I enjoyed it. BUT it dissapointed me the same way Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (not just because it didn’t “feel” like FF) did. It didn’t fill the void for a sequel that I was hoping to get. Maybe this game aims for a younger demographic, maybe they decided that a complete plot was too hard to involve with the gameplay. I’m not sure. The only thing that I hated was the story, but that’s the most important thing in games for me (well, I’m more flexible when we’re not dealing with an RPG; remeber that game about that plumber saving the princess from the fire-spewing, spike-shelled turtle?).

The complete post it's here.

14. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

wow lots of RPG fans, i have to say the only RPG i ever enjoyed was Mass Effect but that was also half shooter. I love to shoot, in VGs of course, games like CRYSIS, GEARS OF WAR, FEAR and R6Vegas1&2. Second to that is Action/Adventure games like GOD OF WAR1&2, PRINCE OF PERSIA, TOMB RAIDER and of course DEVIL MAY CRY:D I also have pride in clocking nearly 80hours of my beloved Football Manager series. i love that game.:p

15. Last1Left

Last1Left Active Member

Hmmm... I picked RPG, but I also love a good action/adventure game. The best is when they kinda roll the two together. Shooters would be number one, but they got somewhat repetitive.

16. Unknown Deity

Unknown Deity New Member

RPG gets my vote :D

17. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I can't say that I have a favourite genre, I tend to be rather singular in the games I play. I'm particularly fond of the following series: MGS, Final Fantasy, Tekken and Burnout - all of which fall into different categories. :/

18. Kratos

Kratos New Member

Wow, that's a diverse taste.

19. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

RPGS, though they know grate me. I loved Bauldurs Gate (no idea why, but it was fun) and i loved Planetscape Torment (great frigging story/characters).

And Civilisation FTW lol

20. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

I like Role-playing games, but Role-playing games like Elder Scrolls and stuff.

I also like puzzles I'm really good at puzzle games and I like one on one fighting games as well.

21. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

I don't play video games much anymore, but I still like Sims 2, and Spore is good, although I don't know what genre that would fall into. When I was younger, we had a bunch of arcade machines in our game room--Super Mario, Donkey Kong, and others; those were really simple but a lot of fun too.

22. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Sims and Spore are called simulations.

Super Mario and Donkey Kong are platforms.

23. Prodigy

Prodigy New Member

I'm really not into games, I only play them every now and then at a freinds house. The only reason I like shooting games is because of Halo, that game is so awesome.

24. Gladiatus

Gladiatus New Member

ahh come on people, vote sports :p

25. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

Don't people become Gamers to avoid physical activity :p. I fail to see why we should let those evil physical exercises sneak in the back door :cool:.