1. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Favourite comic books/graphic novels and their authors

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Xoic, Jul 21, 2020.

I really got into comics in the early 80's for the X Men when Chris Claremont was writing and John Byrne/Terry Austin were doing the art.

For writers, I really liked Chris Claremont, Frank Miller, and Walt Simonson. And I can't remember his name, but he used to write Wolverine when Marc Silvestri was the artist. I think it was Larry Hama? I stopped reading comics some time in the mid 90's.

(This has been edited and taken out of the original context, which explains why it sounds so weird and abrupt! :cool:)

But yeah, let's talk about comics and comic writers/writing!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Cdn Writer likes this.
  2. Dalantri

Dalantri Member

I grew up on Claremont! He was one of the first comic writers that said to me that ‘this doesn’t still have to be so unrealistic that we believe Superman and Thor can talk in space’. Miller, Simonson, and yes, Hama, also influenced my rethinking of comics. Others include Mike Mignola, Joe Casey, Jim Starlin, Scott Snyder, Mark Waid, Alan Moore, and Marv Wolfman. This is not the entire list of influencing comic writers and only a few have consistently made me revel with the thought that they truly get the comics genre.

I was originally attracted to comics by the artwork. Childhood favorite artists include Neal Adams, John Byrne, George Perez, Mike Grell, and Walt Simonson. Looking at their work sometimes was belittled by writers they worked with to me, while others works were enhanced. This opened the door to really appreciating writers more, and gradually moved me from being an art-directed fan to a writing-directed fan. The writer-artist ‘liberation’ (Frank Miller, John Byrne, Walt Simonson, Mike Mignola, etc) only increased my descent into the rabbit hole. Their works were not all the same depth but provided a wide range of action, drama, realism, or adventure that gave/give texture to the comic medium.

Xoic and Cdn Writer like this.
  3. Xoic

I was always predominantly 'drawn' the the art (pun intended). In fact, especially with superhero comics, it seems the writing can only go so far toward trying to be excellent. Whenever they tried to go a little too far it would turn pretentious. But certain writers know how to do it without tripping that alarm. Some of my favorite comics in the late 70's were the big magazine-sized black-and-white horror comics, especially Eerie and Creepy. There was a constant circulation of writers and editors all through the comics world, they tend to hop between Marvel, DC, and Warren (publishers of the horror comics I mentioned) and I'm sure all the others too. Some of my favorite writers for the horror comics would be Len Wein, Archie Goodwin, Marv Wolfman, Jan Strnad (who wrote some of Richard Corben's best stories) and Bruce Jones (also wrote great stories for Corben).

Editors always turned out to be artists or writers who got waylaid into the position because they were there. Nobody seems to have actually wanted that job.

Just realized how off-topic we are. This part might need to be split off by a mod and become a thread about comic book writers.

Seven Crowns, Cdn Writer and Dalantri like this.
  4. Xoic

Before his legendary run on Thor, I was really into Simonson for his Metal Men at first (the stylized art really grabbed my attention) and then for his much grittier and more powerful Manhunter, which was apparently a re-boot of a 40's era title that was very different. Here's a little eye candy to kick-start this thread to life (since being moved here just now, thanks @jannert !):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cave Troll and Cdn Writer like this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Just one more thing before I go. Mod hat on. Try not to post photos that are too big, as it eats up our forum bandwidth. Shrink them as much as you can, while still keeping the pictures readable? T'will be appreciated. Thanks.... :)

Cdn Writer, Dalantri and Xoic like this.
  6. Xoic

Ok, I remembered the search engine shows you different sizes, I've replaced them. Mods, if they're still too big let me know.

Cdn Writer and jannert like this.
  7. Dalantri

Dalantri Member

I didn’t read the Metal Men stuff, but I did enjoy the Manhunter. Chris Claremont’s X-Men run was classic comic writing for me. Marv Wolfman’s Teen Titans work built on top of that. Frank Miller’s first Daredevil work was subtle but did the same thing Claremont’s X-Men did with getting closer into the personal side of the character.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  8. Zeppo595

Zeppo595 Contributor Contributor

I read some Alan Moore stuff. Killing Joke. Watchmen. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I also read Year One and the other Frank Miller one with aging Batman. Forget the title now.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  9. Xoic

It was the Dark Knight Returns.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  10. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

[​IMG]

For me, Morrison's All-Star Superman is as good as superhero comics get. No matter how many times I reread it, it never fails to blow me away.

Other comic book writers I really dig include: Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder, Jeff Loeb, Mark Waid, Alan Moore, and Ed Brubaker.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    Cdn Writer and Dalantri like this.
  11. Accelerator231

Accelerator231 Contributor Contributor

I truly enjoyed Supergod and the other spin-offs from it (what if superheroes were gods and were not remotely human). I also enjoyed irredeemable, a story where Superman analog didn't have the moral and emotional balance to be a superhero to the world.

Cdn Writer and Dalantri like this.
  12. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

They're fine now. Thanks!

Looks like this might become a popular thread. I'm glad. We've had lots of new members joining up, expressing an interest in comics. We've had to work around the software limitations on the way the forum is set up and organised—which we Mods can't change—but no reason why comic/graphic novels should be ignored.

Cdn Writer and Xoic like this.
  13. Dalantri

Dalantri Member

You named writers I like as well. Didn’t read Morrison’s All-Star Superman, but his work does remind me of Alan Moore’s stuff (see: Superman, For the Man Who Has Everything). They did a Justice League animated story that was just as fun to watch.

Warren Ellis’ Planetary is one of my favorite re-reads. Taking the comic icons (including Tarzan, The Shadow, and The Lone Ranger!) and tying them together in a superhero investigation.

Cdn Writer and Bone2pick like this.
  14. Dalantri

Dalantri Member

Yes, Irredeemable was awesome. Loved the play on classic heroes with a twist.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  15. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I know it's rather old, but I do like Art Spiegelman's Maus. It changes the species of the humans of different nations during WWII and makes a lot of interesting and gripping commentaries of its own. Different than your usual hero stuff.

[​IMG]

16. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

I was literally just about to talk about this one. I agree with everything you've said. One of the things I love the most about it is it shows the disconnect between the survivors of the camps and their children. Mr. Spiegelman tells this difficult story with an almost brutal honesty because he sees his father as miserly and cantankerous, but as he listens, he understands how these behaviors came to be.

Such a fantastic story.

Cdn Writer and EFMingo like this.
  17. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

It really is. I actually read it in a literature class almost 10 years ago and still remember it well.

Cdn Writer and Dogberry's Watch like this.
  18. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I dont read comics/graphic novels much.
    But when I was an art therapy major, I had to read Marbles by Ellen Forney. It's a graphic memoir about the author's struggle with mania and depression and how her art played a huge role in getting better.
    She would also include some of her artwork while she was on medication and some of her artwork from her manic states
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm still chipping away at the books to Saga by Brian K Vaughan and illustrated by Fiona Staple.
    Its so good! the writing and the art! If comic con hadnt been canceled this year, I would love to cosplay a couple of these characters, specifically Gwen (cover)
    [​IMG]

Cdn Writer, Xoic and Dogberry's Watch like this.
  19. Dalantri

Dalantri Member

I’m familiar with Maus but haven’t read it. It was on a college class I had as an option but didn’t select it. I guess I’ll have to add it to my reading list.

Cdn Writer and EFMingo like this.
  20. Dalantri

Dalantri Member

Marbles is an interesting book. I read something similar in college about a girl’s life experiences in a foreign country. It dealt with her relationships and the situations that almost cost her her life. Like Maus, the comic book/graphic novel genre can offer more than just superheroes and villains, but while I prefer to keep my reality and escapism separate, I can definitely appreciate something relevant, powerful, and/or presenting a different perspective on life.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  21. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

Sounds like Persepolis 2. Where Marjane leaves Iran for (I forget the European country she goes to) and her relationships and situations cause her to become homeless and nearly die on the streets of this country.

Cdn Writer likes this.
  22. Xoic

I've almost bought Maus several times but never quite did.

23. Accelerator231

Oh yeah. I like that one.

Though I must say the reveal of Plutonian's origins was a bit of a letdown. I would prefer that he be just... raised just like Clark. Just like Superman. Only this time, without Superman's superhuman morality.

Dalantri likes this.
  24. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Junji Ito. I just love his stories so much. They're kind of like old Twilight Zones or EC Comics, but with even less explanation.

[​IMG]

Xoic likes this.
  25. Accelerator231

Oh god no.

Uzumaki.

Seven Crowns likes this.