1. l nimbus

l nimbus Member

Favourite fantasy quote.

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by l nimbus, Sep 25, 2018.

Just a fun thread for posting your favourite quote from fantasy fiction.

Can be anything from a one-liner to a monologue.

I'll start it off.

Black - A Practical Guide to Evil.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

"Not all those who wander are lost"

The Lord of the Rings

Simpson17866 and l nimbus like this.
  3. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

– Jim Butcher, Blood Rites

This is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden's opening line, and we learn very quickly that he was lying :twisted:

You’ve read accounts of attempts by the Sixth University at Arcara to capture a stone eater for study, two Seasons back. The result was the Seventh University at Dibars, which got built only after they dug enough books out of the rubble of Sixth.

– NK Jemisin, The Fifth Season

Look at the swords he’s carrying. A man wearing one—maybe he knows how to use it, maybe not. A man carries two—he probably don’t know nothing about swords, but he wants you to think he does. But a man carrying three swords—that’s a lot of weight. No one’s gonna haul that much steel around unless he makes a living using them.

Michael J. Sullivan, Theft of Swords

“We must be polite, Syen,” he says. He’s still smiling, but he’s furious; she can tell because he’s flashing too many teeth. “We’re only orogenes, after all. And this is a member of the Stillness’s most esteemed use-caste. We are merely here to wield powers greater than she can comprehend in order to save her region’s economy, while she—” He waggles a finger at the woman, not even trying to hide his sarcasm. “She is a pedantic minor bureaucrat. But I’m sure she’s a very important pedantic minor bureaucrat.”

– NK Jemisin again, The Fifth Season again :)

He was dead again when I got home that day. His corpse was in the kitchen, near the counter, where it appeared he'd been chopping vegetables when the urge to stab himself through the wrist had struck. I slipped on the blood coming in, which annoyed me because that meant it was all over the kitchen floor.

– NK Jemisin yet again :D but The Broken Kingdoms this time ;)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    l nimbus and Bone2pick like this.
  4. l nimbus

l nimbus Member

More from APATG.

“Maybe I won’t go to Heaven but you’ve never owned a pit full of man-eating tapirs so who’s the real loser here?”
    —Dread Empress Atrocious, best known for comprehensive tax reform and having been eaten by man-eating tapirs. They were later executed by her successor for treason after a lengthy trial.

“There’s no surer sign you’re being played than being certain you’ve grasped your opponent’s intent.”

“Please, do keep digging your own grave. I look forward to your splendidly inevitable demise.”
    —Dread Emperor Benevolent the First

“See, this is exactly the kind of trouble I’d be avoiding by mind controlling the entire world. You fools are making my point for me, can’t you see?”

“I imagine the High Lords would be inclined to protest the mind control, if I hadn’t seized control of their minds, which just goes to show this was the right decision all along.”
    —Dread Emperor Imperious, shortly before being torn apart by an Ater mob

“Hahahahaha. Ha. You can’t beat me now, this is the first part of my plan!”

“I can’t beat your band of heroes, true, but what if there were another eight bands also out for my blood? Ha! What are you going to do, form a line?”

“Ah, but being defeated was always part of my plan! Yet another glorious victory for the Empire.”

“Oh, I get it. The real treasure was the people I had executed along the way!”

“Ah, but every palace you destroy has to be rebuilt! You’ve single-handedly pulled the Empire out of a slump, hahaha. Once again sweet victory is mine.”

“Oh, woe is me, you’ve destroyed my army… Hahaha, you fell for it again! I haven’t paid them in a year, they were about to depose me. Once more, Irritant triumphs against all odds!”
    —Dread Emperor Irritant I, the Oddly Successful

“I see I’ll have to take drastic measures to ensure intelligent conversation around here.”
    —Dread Empress Maledicta II, before having the tongues of the entire Imperial court ripped out

“The most important part of any summary execution is to remember to have fun and be yourself.”

“You’d be surprised at the breadth of things that can be powered by the souls of the innocent. Fortresses, swords, my favourite chandelier.”

“You have to enjoy life’s little pleasures, like lazy mornings and strawberries and invading Callow with an invisible army.”
    —Dread Empress Malevolent II

Note that these are sorted by their sayers.

5. Azuresun

Azuresun Senior Member

"The light of God enters even into distant lands." said Solomon Kane solemnly. "Dawn follows night, and even in this lost land, the shadows shrink.

"Strange are thy ways, O God of my people, and who am I to question thy wisdom? My feet have fallen in evil ways, but thou has bought me forth scathless and made me a scourge for the Powers of Evil. Over the souls of man extend the condor wings of colossal monsters, and all manner of evil things prey upon the heart and soul and body of Man. Yet it may be that in some far day the shadows shall fade and the Prince of Darkness be chained forever in his Hell. Till then, man can but stand up stoutly to the monsters in his own heart and without, and with the help of God, he may yet succeed."

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  6. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

"Well?" said Professor McGonagall, rounding on him. "Is this true?"
    "Is what true?" Harry asked, rather more aggressively than he had intended. "Professor?" he added in an attempt to sound more polite.
    "Is it true that you shouted at Professor Umbridge?"
    "Yes," said Harry.
    "You called her a liar?"
    "Yes."
    "You told her He Who Must Not Be Named is back?"
    "Yes."
    Professor McGonagall sat down behind her desk, frowning at Harry. Then she said, "Have a biscuit, Potter."

Also, I feel like it must be mentioned that in my Google search for this quote, I ended up falling down a rabbit hole of hilarious HP tumbler posts. Found here if anyone is interested. I'm sitting here at my desk at work giggling madly and getting weird looks lol.

Azuresun and Simpson17866 like this.
  7. Bone2pick

Bone2pick Conspicuously Conventional Contributor

"You think I do not know what you are. Or who she is—"

"I know you hunted us both through the brothels—without skill or success."

"Without success?" She laughed. "You are here, aren't you?"

"As was Miss Temple. Where is she now?"

She laughed again. "You truly do not understand—"

Chang stepped forward quickly, took a handful of the front of her robe and threw the woman bodily onto the bed, her white legs kicking free as she fell. He stood over her, giving her a moment to shake the hair from her face and look up into his depthless eyes.

"No, Margaret," he hissed. "You do not understand. You have been a whore. Giving up your body is no longer cause for delicacy, thus you will understand, given my profession...well, just imagine what no longer causes me to hesitate. And I am hunting you, Margaret. This day I have set Francis Xonck on fire, I have defeated the Prince's Major, and I have survived the trickery of your Contessa. She will not trick me again—do you understand? In these things—and I know these things—there are rarely second chances. Your people have had their chance to kill me—the only one of you that could—and I survived. I am here to find—quickly—whether you are of the slightest—the slightest—use to me whatsoever. If you are not, then I assure you I don't have the slightest qualm in exterminating you as if you were just one more rat in a filthy infestation that I am—believe me—going to destroy."

l nimbus likes this.
  8. l nimbus

l nimbus Member

“The best revenge isn’t living well, it’s living to crucify all your enemies.”

“Where have all the good men gone? Graveyards, mostly.”
    —Dread Emperor Malevolent III, the Pithy

“Only heroes get to have the torch handed to them. Villains must take it from their predecessor’s corpse.”

“I trust people to act according to their nature. Anything more is sentimentality.”

“Power is mostly a matter of making the right corpses at the right time.”
    —Dread Empress Malicia the First, First of her Name

9. l nimbus

l nimbus Member

"Note: only offer the hero the chance to replace my right-hand man when my right-hand man is no longer in the room. Additional note: find out estimated rebuilding cost for the summer palace.”

“Note: those meddling heroes keep surviving getting thrown off cliffs. Must build taller ones in anticipation of the next encounter.”

“Note: orc buoyancy is limited. Avoid fighting the damnable rebels near shoddily-built dams in the future.”

“Home is wherever you can order someone drowned and not get any odd looks.”

“Look, if he didn’t want to be fed to my acid-spewing crocodiles he shouldn’t have brought me bad news.”

—Dread Emperor Malignant II, the Particularly Petty

10. Azuresun

Azuresun Senior Member

"Sometimes I hate you."
    "Sometimes I hate myself."
    "Don't ever let it stop you though, do you?"

--Susannah and Roland, The Dark Tower: The Waste Lands.

11. 8Bit Bob

8Bit Bob Here ;) Contributor

"There's some good left in this world Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."

- Samwise Gamgee, Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

I love this quote so much it's in my sig! :p

12. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

"It is not death. It is purpose. We will redeem the Earth from corruption." --Vain, the ur-vile construct from The White Gold Wielder (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever).

Context: Vain says this to Findail, an immortal Elohim that the ur-vile construct will not release. The words are uttered just before Linden Avery takes the white gold ring, and uses it to bond Vain with Findail. In doing so, she creates a new Staff of Law, combining the rigidness and structure of the ur-viles' lore with the pure and free Earthpower of the Elohim.

13. Pandaking908

Pandaking908 Member

"Say one thing for Logan Ninfingers, say he's stealthy."

-Joe Abercrombie Before They Are Hanged

Literally, any one-liner from The First Law series is great!