1. Gammer

Gammer Active Member

What make for a better Main Character?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Gammer, Nov 5, 2009.

I've been having trouble with my story for a number of reasons, A.) I'm trying to write it in order (crazy i know) and B.) I just can't decide what I want the main character to be.

My first idea was to have him be the reincarnation of the warrior who sealed away the evil he's now fighting against. And throughout his journey he has to convince both others and himself that he's just as good as he previous self.

Then the more I wrote the more it fell apart. Now my next idea is,

The mentor sealed away the evil a century ago but since then has gotten disillusioned with being a hero, and has gotten weaker. So when the evil breaks free and he's called upon again he refuses. The mentor then picks the MC simply because he's young enough to start the training, and starts the MC on the path of a hero just so that he can be left alone. But the MC really has no pre-existing skills whatsoever, and part of his journey is to get his mentor into believing in being a hero again.

So really, what would make a more interesting character?

2. Twisted Inversely

Twisted Inversely New Member

My imagination. But I drop by the real world for m
    Personally I think the second idea works better; though he can't be too disillusioned if he is willing to train up the next saviour. And from what you’ve said your story seems to be evolving that way naturally, so why fight it.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's really up to you, and how well you can write the character(s) you choose. Characters, like stories, should not be not designed by consensus.

4. Atari

Atari Active Member

Both of them sound interesting, but the first I would prefer because it is all about the main character, rather than someone else.
    That's just a personal preference, however, and I would probably enjoy the story - if it was written well - either way.

5. OpposableThumbsBoy

OpposableThumbsBoy New Member

Personally, I think the second is more interesting. But like Cogito said, it's up to you. And if your first idea "fell apart" as you wrote it, in your own words, why stick with it?

6. Sazzle

Sazzle New Member

I like the second choice - there is so much room for character development here in my opinion.
    The idea of a character mentoring another simply to be 'left alone' really appeals to me and I certainly prefer this to the typical 'hero gets too old so needs a replacement' syle idea. In turn the 'new' hero having zero outstanding skills appeals also.

This could go any number of really interesting ways in my opinion - I'd certainly read it!

7. Exar88

Exar88 New Member

I believe what makes a good Main character is of course giving him

a purpose in life. Although it may sound a bit cheesy, i think its better

when the Main character knows what he is doing not only to himself, but eveyone

around him, (be it his companions or the world) Make a character that knows

that everything he does will affect someone or something somehow and its also

good when he experiences all that there is to life. Madness, love, insanity, psychological

fear, courage, power, etc etc.

sorrry for the ranting...

8. Edward

Edward Active Member

I didn't like it...
    and then I did. I like the idea of someone who's living up to the standards of someone who came before him, but he IS the person who came before. Even better if he has some kind of facial marking that signifies he's the ancient warrior, and whenever he screws up, people say things like "you're nothing like the ancient warrior".
    I also like this, though. But I'd say that the mentor doesn't sound very disillusioned so much as... well, I don't know. He sounds like he could be a very conflicted character. He doesn't want to deal with being the hero again, because it's not all that it's cracked up to be, and because in the words of Danny Glover (if you're watching it on TNT), "I'm gettin' too old for this spit". But at the same time, he can't just let evil destroy the world, so he get some kid to do it.

I think that either way is pretty good.

9. Joran Selemis

Joran Selemis Member

The second idea is definitely more original. You don't see too many mentors who just really don't care what's going on.

10. Snail

Snail New Member

I think the second idea sounds interesting. I imagine the mentor slowly becoming more involved. Perhaps finding that spark again...

11. Frozenprince18

Frozenprince18 New Member

well it's YOUR character, so you can choose anyway you want to design it.

But personally, the second works better for me, the first idea, kinda sounds like Cain from lost oddysey to me.

12. Little Miss Edi

Little Miss Edi New Member

Why not combine the two?
    The warrior reawakened finds himself weaker then before. He seeks the mentor who's trained great warriors. The MC/warriors's ways are old, crude and primative, the mentor is disillusioned and doesn't care, the world can go to hell. He's given everything he can to keep that evil locked away and in the end he failed - that's why the reawakened the warrior (bitterness, jealous - lot of emotive stuff there). There's tension between them, discomfort. In the end, they overcome their own demons (MC:weakness, vulnerability, disconnection - Mentor: apathy, disappointment, frustration, hurt etc) The MC/warrior's spirit and determination might warm the mentor to the fight again, while the mentor's knowledge might be enough to bring the MC/Warrior back into the fight.

Just a though :p

But like you said if the first one fell apart that really leaves you, quite naturally, with the second.