Feeling sad for the world today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Lea`Brooks, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

But the "bad" things like Gaza shape our existence and humanity as much, if not more, than rainbows and puppies. Those similar atrocities in history helped put each and every one of us exactly where we are right now in our physical and mental states. It seems to me that if my objective view places no such labels on life, I should subjectively accept aspects of life as merely gears in a greater machine.

2. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

You know, that sounds a lot like Hegelian Dialectics.

Basically the idea that history is made by something happening, and then an opposite force being created as a response, and in the resulting conflict a third state: a synthesis arises that pushes history on and humanity to a more enlightened and better position. It's not an idea I can come up with a clever argument to refute, I actually like it in some ways, I just don't put it at the core of my thinking.

JamesBrown and Garball like this.
  3. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Nihilists acknowledge that any values they have are completely arbitrary (that is, they can't be logically reasoned). Thus, assigning a value to emotions (i.e., anger is bad, happiness is good, etc.) is completely meaningless. There's no logical reason for why some emotions ought to be good and some ought to be bad. So as far as tragedies as concerned, all a nihilist can do is say that it makes him feel one way or the other, but to then claim that these tragedies are bad because they make him (or anyone for that matter) angry/sad/whatever does not logically follow.

Garball likes this.
  4. Lemex

Nihilists feel subjective feelings like anyone else, we are not sociopaths. It's just really that we find ultimate morality and viewpoints ridiculous and counter-productive.

5. thirdwind

Right, but it's then meaningless to assign value to these feelings. For example, saying that you oppose the Gaza conflict because it makes you feel sorrow isn't a valid argument as far as a nihilist is concerned.

By the way, nihilist is a very broad term. In this context, we mean moral nihilist. Other examples include existential nihilism (life has no meaning or value), metaphysical nihilism (objects may not exist), and epistemological nihilism (there's no knowledge).

6. Lemex

^This is very true. I'm certainly an existential nihilist. I bet that comes as a massive shock to everyone. :p

I guess also I have a very humanistic mindset, but I still considering myself primarily that other. :)

7. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

I'm disappointed that this thread isn't about Kim K. feeling like her hips and ass are fat.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  8. thirdwind

I can sympathize. One of the reasons I'm not a complete nihilist is because of what I call the "human factor." So I have no problem arguing that some things are clearly wrong. Of course, I'm being intellectually dishonest by doing this, but as Nietzsche says, "Very well, then, I contradict myself."

Adenosine Triphosphate and Lemex like this.
  9. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

We were trapped on an island with a nihilist,

Like the rest of us, he’d sleep, eat , poop, and bitch,

He'd claim exception, because "it was all meaningless,"

We’d search for food, water, rescue and he’d say "what’s the point of this?"

Ah, yes, that nihilist, I do not so much miss,

Then came the day when food was scarce,

I said, "hey nihilist, would you mind giving up some of yours?"

He said, “I would, except who cares, it’s all the same who lives and who starves.”

And I said, "well in that case, I’ll just take your from you and give to ours,"

But when I laid a hand on his food, he jumped and he snarled,

He said, “I can’t control my animal tendencies,

Though (since I don't really care) I’d let you take it if were up to me.”

“You mean, dear friend, were I to thieve,

Steal what is yours and then quickly flee,

You would not cry, nor hold it against me, morally?”

“Yes, sir, that is correct,” he said, looking rather grand,

Well, let us say I took all his food, at the very first chance,

And later that night, the rest of us, we dined and we danced

And in the morning , found the nihilist face down in the sand,

Emaciated, dead, a single tear on his hand

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Garball likes this.
  10. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

A lot of bad things are happening around the world every day. Unfortunately, most people do not care or feel anything until it is brought to their immediate attention. For example, I see people get upset over headline news of a school shooting that killed a dozen or so people, but I do not see headline news for the tens of thousands that die everyday.

If you were to truly let the events that come to your attention in the span of one day to make you feel sad, then you should feel sad every single day, for tragedy occurs every moment of our lives, even if we are not aware of it.

shadowwalker likes this.
  11. JamesBrown

JamesBrown Active Member

"I know I believe in nothing but it's my nothing," Richey Edwards.

12. daemon

daemon Contributor Contributor

I have generally held that whenever people say that the world is becoming more dangerous or immoral, this is the reason why they think so. Not because it is becoming more dangerous or immoral, but because the sensational dangers and sins are being increasingly magnified.

sunsplash, jannert and Wyr like this.
  13. Garball

Garball Banned Contributor

Roughly 150,000 people die every day; one third of those deaths are not from age-related issues (almost as many as Americans killed in the entire Viet Nam Conflict). That's over 18 million a year.
    On the flip side, over 350,ooo babies are born every day. Even if people dying from old age made you equally depressed, if you were to mourn death and celebrate birth in the same way, you should be twice as happy as you are sad.

14. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

Don't worry. Today, we are riding a mad horse (earth). It is not obvious when it will throw us to the ground from its back. Just try to keep yourself on it as much as possible. But I hope it go not out from its way (orbit) :rofl:
    If nations protect each other, no force will be able to defeat them.
    Also some disasters are because of disobeying Lord and doing sin or remaining on ignorant.
    We just have to pray to unique God and seek refuge in him. This is the only way to save.

15. Lewdog

Without strife and death we wouldn't have empathy. Could you imagine a world full of psychopaths?

16. Lewdog

This is what the U.S. tries to do and they get nothing but grief for doing it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

17. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm wondering if you'd feel any differently if the restaurants were giving discounts to people who refrained from praying? I'm not saying that you would, but it could be something to think about.

(Edited to correct paying to praying.)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    Okon likes this.
  18. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Did you mean, "refrained from praying"?

jannert likes this.
  19. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Heh. Yes; thank you for pointing that out. Fixed.

20. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

Of course If Mr. Obama want to help other countries and don't want to be boss of the world, there will be some lawful ways. America must work under the laws of United Nation and avoid to interfere in other countries directly.
    For example I remember a few months ago, America, England and French were ready to attack Syria to overthrow the government of Bashar al- Assad, while the president was right and was protected by people of Syria. At that time, I wondered, why America wanted to attack the army of Syria, while they must helped Dr. Assad against the extreme rebel groups ? Of course If even America wanted to help the lawful president of Syria, Mr. Obama should took the authorization of United Nation Organization to attack to the rebel groups.
    Also I remember, a few month ago, Mr. Obama traveled to Afghanistan without having to announce its president or other members of the government. He went in a base of America army in Afghanistan directly and the worse thing was that, he called out Hamed Karzai to come and meet him in the base. It was an obvious offend to a president and nation of other land. While visiting a country by a foreign president, must be done based on a particular tradition, official ceremony and authorizations.
    However, if America government want to help other peoples they must change their intentions, manners and the method of dealing with nations. Being boss of the world is difficult because of two reason:
    1- Nations are opposite to have had an unwanted boss
    2- Russia and China have blocked this way

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  21. Wyr

Wyr Active Member

Eh, I wouldn't really care. In fact the only thing that popped into my head when I read your post is that the place would be loosing money hand over fist because, even though I grew up in a very religious/conservative community, the only person I've ever seen saying grace before eating in public is my grandma. Even she doesn't say it out loud anymore because of the way people tend to stare when they realize what she is doing.

22. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Some radical vegans only feed their dogs and cats vegan diets, which is very bad for the animals, they weren't meant to not eat meat.

Some crazy woman wrote a book saying that gay men were basically dolls for straight women's amusement and that straight women have every right to try to make gay men date them. And used an offensive slur in the title.

People pray before meals in public places? Like, out loud? This is news. But no, I don't think you should get a discount for doing that.

23. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

Why not give a discount for praying? Who does it hurt? I'm not sure why that was even included as a reason to be sad.

Wyr likes this.
  24. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

Most people pray before meals because they believe it is the "right" thing to do. They want to be thankful for their meal and share that thanks accordingly. Praying before a meal is not a problem. I've been included in many family dinners in which we held hands and prayed before we ate.

The problem, to me, is that they are receiving special treatment for it. It's like saying that those people are better people because they pray, so they deserve a discount. So all those other people who don't pray? It's like saying they are wrong, or are doing something wrong, and are not worthy or receiving any special treatment.

As I said above, it just rubs me the wrong way. Children receive discounts on their meal -- but everyone was a child once. The elderly receive a discount -- unless you die young, everyone grows old. So those two discounts make sense to me. But not everyone prays before meals because it isn't who they are. So IMO, your religion shouldn't be the basis of receiving a discount.

I don't think I'm being prejudicial with it. I'd be just as upset if another religious group were to receive a discount. I'd be just as upset if gays and lesbians were to receive a discount.

I suppose I believe that businesses shouldn't cater to a specific group of people in this aspect. If a discount isn't available to all, then it shouldn't be offered.

So it makes me sad. I didn't say it needed to make you sad, or anyone else sad for that matter. I was sharing my opinion and my feelings on it, and that's all it was. It was just one girl's opinion.

25. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

If I understand my bible well enough, and I'm not sure I do, this seems like a greed and arrogance or pride aspect on the part of the recipients. To believe you're entitled to special treatment because of your faith is pretty arrogant/prideful and to take advantage of it if you're more than capable of paying full price is wanting to squeeze every penny out of the system, iow, greed.

Don't you love religious hypocrisy?