1. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Fellow forum members--I am curious.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jhunter, Jan 9, 2012.

How many of you fall victim to forumitis?

Meaning:

How many of you spend more time on internet forums instead of actually working on your writing?

I find that I have contracted a moderately big infection of forumitis.

I apologize in advance if my forumitis causes a zombie apocalypse someday.

And yes, I just made that up. :p

2. Slinkywizard

Slinkywizard New Member

I designate time zones. Now is forum time, which I loosely bundle in with 'research'. In an hour or so I'll be revising what I wrote yesterday for two hours, then at 6am tomorrow it's up out of bed followed by two hours of new words before work, during which time I'm, guess what? Also writing, albeit getting paid to do so.

It's different on the weekends, but largely that's been my life for nearly two years now and will remain so until I either die at the keyboard, my fingers wear themselves to impotent nubs, my brain turns to dust, or I just become bored of writing novels.

3. Protar

Protar Active Member

Absolutely. And it's happened before with things other than writing. Back when I played wow it got to a point when I was pretty much paying £9.00 a month for a forum membership :s. Hopefully I'll get back into gear soon.

4. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Me, definitely. I think my time is divided 50/50 or close to it, but I don't think I could concentrate on writing for so many hours a day if I didn't have the escape to various internet sites and blogs every now and then. I still get a whole lot of writing done, I even think this is the reason I can write so much. I need many little breaks and if I get that I can sit by the computer all day long.

5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I, too, get bouts of forumitis. I find that I love to talk shop, as it were, and this is a good place to do it. The trick is to balance that with actual writing time, to ensure that you actually get your writing done.

6. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I tend to visit forums as a break from other things, whether it's writing or housecleaning or whatever. The only times I'd say it reaches forumitis status is when I'm not feeling well and can't really do anything constructive else :p

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Si. It certainly happens from time to time. Forums and talking about things you enjoy is fun, so it is easy to let it consume time.

8. huskies

huskies Member

Yes it happens too often.

9. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

Yeah, I seem to go through phases like that.

There's a forum I've been on for over ten years, pretty regularly for the first few. Now I haven't posted there for a while. Made a couple of real-life
    friends though.

I think once you get a feel for a place, get to 'know' people a bit more, or even worse, make friends - you're done for. :p

10. RomanticRose

RomanticRose Active Member

I take it in spells. Depending on how busy I am. But I stick pretty close to my schedule. My fistion writing happens places other than my home, partially so the internet and other things aren't a distraction to me.

11. Anarchist_Apple84

Anarchist_Apple84 New Member

I tend to come here when I'm procrastinating, but also when I'm done writing for the day, like I have now. I definitely spend too much time browsing forums though I no longer go on any gaming forums - I get the impression only immature American teenagers go on them these days anyway :-S

@RomanticRose - that's a funky GIF you've got there! :D

12. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

NeoGAF and Kotaku aren't so bad.

13. Anarchist_Apple84

Anarchist_Apple84 New Member

I only used Gamespot and gameFAQS... they kinda put me off going elsewhere!

My 360 hasn't even been turned on so far in 2012, one of my resolutions that's going a lot better than I thought. i'm sure it'll gather dust until Mass Effect 3, which gives me 2 more full months of this level of productivity!

14. Pea

Pea super pea!

It's just procrastination, if it's not a forum it'll be something else. But yeah, if you don't have enough discipline or are trying to avoid writing for some reason you'll eventually end up here, lol. I do the same.

15. Blue Night

Blue Night Active Member

I wish I suffered from Forumitis.
    My doctor diagnosed me as being Forumexic. My post count was only 14 over 30.
    So I was given a prescription to get my post count up.
    He said 150 over 30 is healthy.
    How's your post count?

16. Floatbox

Floatbox New Member

I think it's because forums can give you the illusion of working. Hey! I'm actually writing responses here! About writing!

But I am a strong believer in the benefits of forums and online communities. It's about finding the right community and also the right behavior. Yes, forums can be used as procrastination. It can also be a tool to hone your communication skills, hone your critiquing skills, get feedback on your work, learn what other writers are thinking and doing, expose to different information on writing techniques and strategies. I think, like all of the internet, it can be abused or used. It's all about developing those healthy habits - which is real hard. I know, because I have...

Forumitis.

17. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

This is a big reason why I peaced out for like half a year. I got way too into the forums and not enough on writing.

18. Alex W

Alex W New Member

I'm still trying to get into this one and turn up every month or so, so not with this place, but with the Derby forum I certainly did.

19. hoggyboy

hoggyboy New Member

definitely have forumitis atm lol but i dont think it affects my writing. i generally come online when i cant be bothered writing and sometimes this forum actually helps me get in the mood so yeah :)

have it but not a bad thing for me

20. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I usually like to set aside a few hours from writing, and work, reading, and general life to come here. Yes, this place does also eat into my time, but so does everything else; and I'd much rather be here most days than on Facebook. The community here is what matters to me, and this place has one of the strongest, most welcoming communities that I've came across - I just hope I add to it. And there is always the workshop - always something to critique where I can possibly help others; while helping myself.

21. nhope

nhope Member Reviewer

+1! Well done!

To the original question, yes, of course, but I find it necessary to my writing and also to my well-being. I don't get to mingle with other writers IRL or have real friends (as opposed to acquaintances) so I come here for company, information, fun, and knowledge. I also really like to try to help with questions when I feel I can be constructive or just lighten things up or make someone feel better. Those things are important.

And I should definitely work on my post count!

22. cruciFICTION

cruciFICTION Contributor Contributor

I get online, open a new tab for every thread I want to check, and when I'm done with that, I check to see if there are newer replies, and then after that's all done I usually go do something else since there's nothing new on the forum for me.

23. joanna

joanna Active Member

Yes. I do it because I'm living in a new place and don't know a lot of people, so there's not a lot else to do in my free time -- except write, and that's a solo activity, and I get lonely.

I like to think being here absorbing and giving advice makes me a better writer.

But really, I should kick my own ass sometimes.

I have to go out to be on the internet, though -- don't have it at home. So at home time is writing time. Starbucks time is internet time.

24. Snoopingaround

Snoopingaround Banned

It's just a matter of willpower. As in anything in life. Just force yourself to stop. Look at me and how many posts I have and how long I have been a registered member. I find forums entertaining and good for written debate skills (which can to some extent translate to verbal debate skill), that's why I go here. Also I go on in order to get better at writing in general of course. So, you must have a clear idea in your mind about why you go to forums, and then respond accordingly. I am assuming that you would not want to go to forums to feed any kind of addiction that drains your time. So let your mind know that, and force yourself off for as long as you can. Then build on your progress by going without it for longer and longer time spans. If you find that you are not able to do this, then you know you have a problem.

1 person likes this.
  25. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

I don't know very many writer where I live and the ones I do know are so busy. It gets lonely to never have anyone to talk to about the things that I enjoy most. That said, I sometimes use getting on the forum as a carrot. After I finish this scene, I can spend some time on the forum. :0

1 person likes this.