Tags:
  1. ellebell16

ellebell16 New Member

College?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by ellebell16, Feb 23, 2011.

So I'm not in college (still another year of high school to go) but I want to write a story about someone packing up their room and going to college. In my story, the protag gets an awful roommate and decides to rush for Greek life...but how do sororities and fraternities work? How long after the year starts does rush week begin? How does the whole bidding thing work?

Thanks so much!

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

One of my roommates during my college freshman year was in a sorority, so I can tell you how it goes down.

It starts within the first week of being at college -- there's an initial week before classes begin when people living on-campus move into dorms and when student orgs get up and running. During this week, you pay a fee -- I think hers was around $80. This pays for all the activities you do while rushing (of course, if you get in, there's an expensive membership fee for the sorority).

During the week, you go from house to house and do different meet-and-greet events with the big sisters there. You rate each sorority, and each sorority rates each girl. In the end, you pick three houses you'd like to belong to in order of preference -- if one of those picks you in return, there's where you will be, but if none of them pick you, no Greek life for you.

At least that's how it was for my roommate -- we weren't that close, so I'm not sure about the details, but it was somewhere along those lines.

Also, most people don't move into the sorority house to live until sophomore year.