1. Monanniverse

Monanniverse New Member

Female Portagonist

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Monanniverse, Jan 1, 2011.

There has been many books where a lady is our main portagonist, I don't mean to be prejudice or anything but in those books (such as Twilight Saga) they are usually expressed as lonely and are seeking some kind of inner satisfaction of some dark past.

Now, when a lady portagonist takes up as a sub character, they are a lot more headstrong, the corrector of the main character.
    Strange, don't you think?

2. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

Guess it depends what kinds of books you're reading. There are plenty of books with strong female MCs...Pride and Prejudice, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...A Song of Ice and Fire has strong female characters, too, though I'm not sure how you would classify "main character" in that, since there are so many...

3. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

My favourite book Mist Over Pendle has a smart, intelligent female protagonist, sure she fell in love but it was a distinct subplot she completely subverted the view of the little woman and won respect of the men around her.

I grew up wanting to be just like Margery Whitaker.

Finishing School by Pamela Brown has an amazing cast of women - the young girl is fantastic and strong.

What about Little Women, Heidi, Narnia even has amazing girls. Famous Five, Secret Seven etc

Whereas my novel starts with a lonely man who is seeking comfort from a dark past lol

4. Monanniverse

Monanniverse New Member

Ah, but those ladies have obivous voids that are filled throughout the plot.

5. Elgaisma

What void did Beth March fill ? What about Jo ? Heidi ?

Love to know what void George Kirrin had ?

Jill, Lucy, Susan, Helen etc from the Narnia books ?

Curious what their deep dark pasts are ? none are revealed in the books.

Explain to me how any are weak women feeble women on any level ?

6. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

Well, isn't that one of the more common themes of a novel? What about the examples hidden gave?

I do notice the female protagonists following your description in many newer YA novels, but then they're all bildungsroman/coming-of-age stories, so there's a lot of angst and self-exploration going on.

Perhaps you could cite some examples of novels with the types of females protagonists you're talking about?

7. Pook

Pook New Member

"I don't mean to be prejudice or anything but in those books (such as Twilight Saga) they are usually expressed as lonely and are seeking some kind of inner satisfaction of some dark past"

This could also apply to male protagonists, this seems a generalisation to me.

8. Elgaisma

It is certainly my most frequently used male protagonist - he is the most powerful man in the universe but his horrible childhood even at one hundred and fifty makes him quite childish/childlike in nature and a need to be taken care of, protected and mothered by those around him.

9. JTheGreat

JTheGreat New Member

Hunger Games?

10. TokyoVigilante

TokyoVigilante New Member

Spooky Country has a solid, strong female MC. Also a damn good novel, btw.