1. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.

Have a progression problem, need advice.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Cave Troll, Apr 21, 2018.

So I have come to a halt after following one MCs story line for like 10
    or so pages, since the other two were kinda setup into situations that
    don't really offer much to explore.
    Now I have hit a block as to if it will work out if I move to the MC that
    got shot, but it has been at least 24hrs since the incident and has since
    been treated for the injury. And they are just getting back around to
    waking up after the ordeal, since in the last scene with them it sets it
    up like they died.
    I think it would be more interesting and for pacing to go in that direction,
    seeing as the last MC is kinda in a 'dead air' spot. And the third MC is
    just not going to offer anything new or exciting to the table at the present.

Or:
    Should I just keep the MC at the current point going, and draw out the
    suspense of the MC who has been shot possibly being dead for a while
    longer. Cause the third MC is literally locked up in a box and can't do
    to much more than sit and brood.
    So would it be fine to just follow the progression of the 'active' MC, who
    happens to be working on a plan that is at the moment in the 'I gave myself
    up, so we can get inside' thing. Just been taken at gun point, cuffed, and being
    lead to a way in.

Which way do you think will work?

Thank you much. :)

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Is there any availability of...what to call it?...maybe "bonus emotion"? Like, randomly, the shot character has overcome a drug problem and now he has to face the temptation of pain meds? The one volunteering to get captured is afraid of dogs and the guards have guard dogs? I'm not really suggesting that you pepper the narrative with facts randomly, but maybe there's something already there?

3. Cave Troll

The one who got shot, is kinda unconscious and in a med tent recovering from
    a sniper blowing a chunk out of his lower left side.

I don't think she would be afraid of dogs, since she does not know what they are.
    I think I have found a way to get things moving again, just hope that it isn't too
    much time with her, and the others haven't been forgotten.
    Thanks. :)

John-Wayne likes this.
  4. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

I'd say following your 'active' MC is your best bet. If the other two can't do anything then it'd be pretty boring to follow them around. And there's always editing it later, if you don't like how it turns out.

Cave Troll and John-Wayne like this.
  5. John-Wayne

John-Wayne Madman Extradinor Contributor

When I hit a wall I like to brainstorm! All right down all the important information, the who what why and where, any facts I need to know. And if needed write down various scenarios of how it could play out and ask myself any relevant questions.

Now I only have one MC, so it's easier for me. For you, you can write a scenario for each MC and see how it plays out for them. Are worst goes to worst, time skip!

Edit: honestly, it's a bit tough to help without knowing the full situations of each character.

Cave Troll likes this.
  6. Cave Troll

After sitting and having a brief conversation with the MC on my wall on FL, I figured out how to get past that
    block. I just cut down the dead air to a couple of small paragraphs, just to show that it was thing and now back
    to the more exciting bits. :p

Thanks for the advice, though. I do a tonne of brainstorming to keep things from being predictable,
    and avoiding using the same exact tactic twice in the whole "sneaking into the enemy base" thing. :)

Thanks for your thoughts. :superagree:

John-Wayne likes this.
  7. Cave Troll

No truer words have been spoken. Thank you for reminding me that I have to edit, when the darn thing is done. :)
    (I hate editing with a passion. Nay, I loath editing. But it is taking the good with the bad.) :)

8. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

I've yet to hit the 'editing' stage with one of my WIPs. I'm still in the 'rewrite completely' phase. My second draft was almost another rough draft because of how major the changes were, but this time I'm sticking with the same plotline. So once its done, I will be probably be banging my head against the wall about how much editing sucks too.

John Calligan and Cave Troll like this.
  9. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

Stay with your MC, but have the world move around them and behind their backs. Defiantly give the other characters things to do and accomplish, but don't show it. This can be a moment where your MC sees "Golly, I can't get hurt cause the price is I can't help with the war/test/plot device. Only next time... I'll dodge!"

Maybe this can be one of your character signposts where they grow, see the stakes, or are questioned about morality importance. Maybe the battle/concert/sex goes fine without them, and feel they aren't worthy of their herodom. Alternately, maybe the army is damaged/the crowd boos the other characters/no one orgasms, and the hero sees how crucial they are to the Templar/NSYNC/Harem.

Shenanigator likes this.
  10. Cave Troll

Presently the active MC has committed war crimes with good intentions behind
    their motives. Been on a rescue mission/suicide mission with permission in the
    form of being told they are MIA low priority, so pretty much what ever they do
    is off the record and they will not have to answer for their actions if they can
    pull it off.
    They do however struggle with the fact that they are willingly committing these
    acts of atrocity, that they do not want to, and yet cannot help themselves in the
    process.
    They are not technically alone, as they started out with one extra guy ordered to
    go with them, and a tag-along for moral support.
    and later another is sent in with a private message from the superior
    that gave them permission to go off in the first place.
    Would not exactly put them in the hero category, so much as basically doing whatever
    the deem necessary to complete the mission, which they do have some selfish motivation
    to their objective, but are not going to just leave the rest of their men imprisoned.