1. 33percent

33percent Active Member

Few dialogue questions

Discussion in 'Dialogue Development' started by 33percent, Sep 9, 2019.

Do I use the same dialogue rules when a character speaking in their thoughts just as someone speaking out loud? I have my characters talking, then the MC speaks in his head about the situation. Do I treat his thoughts like he is talking, like indenting?

The other question I have, there is moments I have one character speaking. I put in great detail of their actions regarding what their doing between when they're speaking. It seems the paragraph becomes too long, in one paragraph, but it's the same character speaking. Do I put all their speaking quotes in the same paragraph, like the general idea of the paragraph, and not indent until a new characters speaks?

As for the also question, I have speaking on a intercom or speaker for example. Do I use the " or ', using the words italic?

2. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

This can really be done in a number of ways. I've seen it done as a sort of internal dialogue, done in normal print, but without italics. Can be a little confusing, but usually used in an eclectic and conversational tone in the MC's mind. There's the italics approach, which works well for internal thoughts, but can also be used as narrative voice. Make sure you don't mix the two, and you quickly establish what you're using the italics for. Don't use italics for emphasis. Finally, and the most cumbersome method, is to designate that the thoughts are happening. This is the "he/she thought" and all the numerous variations of designating the thoughts are happening. Not my favorite method, but works well if character thoughts aren't central to the style.

Break it up. If you end a paragraph on a quote, and the same character speaks right away during the next paragraph, leave the end paragraph quotation mark off. This is a signal to the reader that the same speaker shall continue. In example:

" blah blah blah.

"Stuff stuff and other stuff."

If the speaking is broken up between the end of the first paragraph, or the beginning of the second, full quotation should be used.

Use the regular " unless you're writing in Europe I believe. Not italics.

jannert likes this.