Tags:
  1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Post Mortem Press

Discussion in 'Publisher Discussion' started by deadrats, Mar 20, 2018.

Does anyone here have any experience with these guys? I was specifically wondering about their anthologies. Thanks in advance if you have any info or insight to share.

lonelystar likes this.
  2. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I devour horror/dark anthologies and have never heard of these guys. I looked at their website and their covers look like homemade self-publishing covers - I wouldn't even click on one when browsing, let alone buy it.

They have a sister company which is a vanity 'publisher.'

Personally, I would steer well clear.

Cave Troll and Steerpike like this.
  3. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

The fact that I can't find any mention of rights sought or payment would make me wary. Nonpaying markets usually mention they're not paying.

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

For the current anthology they give payment terms (1/2 cent per word plus net royalties) on their submittable form. They take first international electronic, print, and audio rights, and those rights revert to the author when their anthology is released. Royalties paid for three years. I can’t tell if they charge a submission fee.

deadrats likes this.
  5. deadrats

According to an anthology listing for them on duotrope they do pay a token rate with royalties. So, it's nothing big or anything. I don't always see payment or rights information on a publication's website. That doesn't really bother me.

6. deadrats

You beat me to it. And with more details. Thanks for the info. I don't believe they charge a submission fee. However, what @Tenderiser said has me thinking it might not be what I'm looking for.

Steerpike likes this.
  7. Steerpike

Yes. I’d certainly prefer a professional quality end product, including cover. It would tell me you’re going into business with people who are serious.

8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

The covers give me a pleasant nostalgic vibe of various gaming modules that I used in the 'eighties. That's probably not a good thing.

9. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

Seems like info you'd want to include on your site.

10. Steerpike

Seems like it. Sometimes it varies by project, so maybe it seems easier to just put the details up at Submittable, but I’d still put them in both places.

11. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

What are you looking for? They don't do big runs, don't appear in bookshops but get occasional sales online. You may see your work in print but won't make enough money to throw a celebration party.

12. deadrats

Thanks for the replies. I haven't looked into anthologies much. I saw a listing on duotrope and noticed they've done a few anthologies. Some listing have nothing to go on. But maybe anthologies like this are not the way to go. I was just looking into new markets, seeing what's out there.

13. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

Cemetery Dance and Dark Fuse are the ones to target with dark short stories, but I think they're both closed to submissions at the moment. Competition is always fierce.

deadrats likes this.
  14. deadrats

Thanks. I will look into those. I think anywhere good is going to be crazy competitive to get in. And a lot more places take submissions in the fall than they do in the spring. I've only tried magazines and journals. Anthologies would be new. I'm a member of duotrope so I can look a lot of them up, but I don't really know too much about which anthologies are good and who is putting them out.