1. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

RIP Dorris Lessing

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by madhoca, Nov 18, 2013.

One of my inspirations as a teenager... And later, when she won the Nobel in her 80s.

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

I made a post yesterday in the Not Happy Thread about this and no one replied, so I figured either no one knew who she was or no one cared. Anyway, it's good to know someone else appreciates her. I haven't read any of her works (though I really want to read The Golden Notebook), but I've watched a few of her interviews. She seems like a great woman. It's a huge loss for the literary world.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I have a friend who was a huge fan of hers. I've not read anything by her yet, but I've been meaning too. Sad news indeed. :(

4. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I did not know about her, but it looks like she's an author I would have very much enjoyed meeting. NPR covered the loss this morning: Doris Lessing Nobel Prize Winning Author Dies

The Golden Notebook
    I'm going to have to read that now.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I have a friend who is a great fan of hers, and my friend said she is a writer all women owe it too themselves to read. Whatever that is worth, consider it a third party recommendation. :)

6. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

When I was younger I read The Grass is Singing and it stayed with me a long time. The Golden Notebook I read when I was in my 20s and I guess it was the right time to read it as I lived in Islington in London and I was well into feminism and suchlike. Recently I read Love, Again and Memoirs of a Survivor--I can recommend them both.