Tags:
  1. Carlos Calma

Carlos Calma New Member

Figuring out my MC's goals, appreciate input/feedback

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Carlos Calma, Aug 14, 2018.

My MC is very strong. NOT a one punch man type character, but a tier above almost everybody he meets. He is an assassin, and is neutral on his view on killing. Originally from Earth, he is now in a new fantasy realm where magic exists and he is now bereft of his purpose, which was being a hitman for his father, who would send him to eliminate rivals, or people of note. Without it, he is left lost and unsure of what to do now.

He has no real ambition of grandeur or being the most powerful, or the richest or the most famous. He has made connections with important people, which allows him to use their resources (in a way) and has no real desire to be a part of changing the world or something like that. Not a very noble character, very passive, in a way.

Do you think a love interest would add an incentive for my character to do anything? Perhaps he just wishes to enjoy his life instead and I throw him into situations that keep him away from his relaxing and peaceful days.

I would like to hear out your input, thanks!

2. QueenOfPlants

QueenOfPlants Definitely a hominid

Several questions form in my head here.

a) What kind of mindset made it possible for him to do what he did before (being an assassin)? Was it obedience for his father or joy of killing or did he have "good reasons" to kill?
    What does "is neutral on his view on killing" mean exactly? How does he justify killing in front of himself?

b) "Perhaps he just wishes to enjoy his life instead and I throw him into situations that keep him away from his relaxing and peaceful days." Yes, that could be a goal. What does he want? It interconnects with question a) - because if you have a better understanding of how he's thinking and feeling, then you can deduct what he would want out of life.

c) Does he want to go back to Earth or is he happy in the new fantasy realm? How does he deal with the magic? Did he get magic abilities himself or does the magic pose a threat to him?

I would warn you against using a love interest as SOLE incentive to do anything. Because that's lame. (Unless you're writing Romance; then go for it.)
    If he's a passive character and satisfied with the status quo, then the only thing that could make him do something would be if the status quo changed for the worse.

3. Carlos Calma

Carlos Calma New Member

The mindset he had was apathy. If his father ordered him to kill someone, he would do it, no questions asked. He didn't like his father, but he felt an obligation to follow his orders because he is his parent. He only feels real guilt if he were forced to kill children, mainly due to the fact that they were too young to experience life, but not soul crushingly guilty.

He's content with being on a new world, and he is quite a danger to most people around, because he has guns. While there are shields, magical and physical that can withstand bows and arrows, almost every defense people could muster is incapable of stopping a bullet that goes at insane speeds, and less that could dodge or even chant a spell to stop the bullet. To ensure that he is able to defend himself when needed, he convinced a powerful person to combine magic with his guns, which (is simply put) gives him a almost limitless supply of bullets, through using runes to convert magic to bullets and having them deposited into the chamber of the gun.

I agree with the love thing. I'm horrible at writing romance in general. I could make it so that he owes one of his friends a debt for saving his life, which could force him to have a goal, which is to pay off his friend back for saving his life. What do you think?

4. Still Organized

Still Organized New Member

If he doesn't like his father, then why would follow his father's orders 'just because he's his parent'? Someone who doesn't like their parent/guardian are more likely to rebel against that person than do as they say. It seems like a shallow explanation. It would be more interesting to have the son follow his father's orders out of something more complex. For example, he obeys his father out of fear for what might happen to him if he didn't, or the son obeys his father because his dying mother 'asked him to respect his father and not disappoint him'.

And who wouldn't feel soul-crushingly guilty if they had to murder a child? Only psychopaths. Your character would be much more likeable if they did feel that inner guilt that eats away at them; it will be easier for readers to sympathize with your character. Not many people would comprehend why someone isn't disturbed by murdering helpless children unless you have an extremely good reason.

QueenOfPlants likes this.
  5. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

With passive MC the only story that can work is comedy.

Love interest can help if she wakes your MC up and makes him active.

6. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

It could be written as a stressful situation. He would be out of his element so to speak and the counterpart that is enticing him could use innuendos and double entendres to drive him mad. If there is any sex it could be described with metaphors.