1. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

Question [Solved] File size limit?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by Madman, Mar 14, 2023.

Hello, I wanted to upload an image to a post, but it says it is too large. I can not find anywhere where the limit is. Would be nice to know or have it stated somewhere.

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

its 500kb per image and 4 images per message. there are no maximum dimensions set so long as it comes in under the file size, but very big images should be put in spoiler tags. That said smaller and fewer is preferable as it doesn't take very many members uploading 2mb per message to eat up a hell of a lot of storage and bandwith.

I'll add the size info to the new starter guide when i get a minute

if you really must display a bigger file as with say a graphic novel put it somewhere else and use the image tool (looks like a little picture 7th from the right at the top of the message screen) to link it in

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    Madman likes this.
  3. Madman

Thanks Moose.

I did somehow manage to upload a 964kb image file to a post. Does that mean that the limit changes depending on membership or something?

I can reupload the image with a smaller size if that is preferred or if I somehow managed to bypass a limit. I did try various sizes for a while until the less than 1mb size succeeded. This was before I got your answer to this thread.

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Okay cards on the table I lowered the limit before I replied… it was previously set to 1634kb which is way high for a site like this

In general being a writing site we are looking for people to communicate in words not pictures, so 500kb per pic should be ample

Earp, Not the Territory and Madman like this.
  5. Madman

Alright, thanks, älg. ;)

Swedish for Moose

6. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

But Moose, we all know a picture is worth a thousand words. :superlaugh:

Madman likes this.
  7. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

Not in data storage terms... at an average of five characters per word, a 500kb picture is worth nearer seventy-five thousand words

w. bogart, Madman and Xoic like this.