1. Toomanypens

Toomanypens Member

Finally had my plot structure epiphany

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Toomanypens, Apr 7, 2018.

I have been good at writing out THE CONCEPT of a book for a while.
    Introducing characters and the world and letting readers marvel at all the potential it has to offer.
    However, by the time it got to defining the story in stone and transforming all that potential into ONE definite pathway, I would get depressed, uninspired, and stop writing. The reason for that was simple, I didn't know how to take that potential and reward the audience for feeling it with me and I saw in the books future reviews like "great concept but wasted potential".

Just recently I have solved this and am really excited about it.
    The solution I have found is that for me, I split the story into two tasks
    1) Concept (authors creative punch - movies like Avatar nailed this)
    2) Delivery (audience centric - movies like deadpool nailed this)
    And I ask myself what the delivery HAS TO BE from the concept that has been created
    So with my current book I realised that the male and female characters should NOT be love interests to one another because all too often we don't see two awesome people just be whole in themselves.
    I realised that a political twist to the story makes the book likely to become irrelevant quicker so I am abandoning that in order to chase a story of a woman who is great without societies spotlight.
    A more enduring story will be to showcase something truly beautiful about the soul, something clever enough that people double take and want to reread to pay more attention to the details.

I now believe that concept and delivery are two entirely seperate ideas
    Not just different parts of the book but different IDEAS
    And often times people in chasing the love of the concept create a derivative plot structure in order to just finish the story.
    For example, Avatar had one of the greatest concepts for a movie ever, people rewatched it over and over for the concept. However, the delivery of its potential was wasted by rehashing dances with wolves and fern tree gully. Deadpool was a simple if not stupid concept but it delivered on what people wanted most of all when it came to the character, a no holds barred brawl of fan savvy ideas competing for screen time.

To me, you need to develop a passion not only for a concept, but become a fan of the concept, look at your work, and then develop a passion for delivery and find that second wind of that even more astounding second idea.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Nessie likes this.