1. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

Acknowledgments and About the Author

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by TheSpiderJoe, Sep 27, 2011.

Well, I've just completed the 4th revision of my 1st book (after not touching it for 3 months) and I feel it's about time I work on a few other parts of it before I dive in it once more (I promised myself that after 5 revisions, I'm done... Or so I say).

So, I read a few examples/templates about acknowledgments and the about the author section and (go figure) they're all fairly different. After taking the best parts of each example, I was able to build two nice drafts but I would love to get some opinions on them. I didn't see this section in the review area of the forums but if anyone out there is willing I'd love to share my stuff to see how I can improve.

What do you guys think makes a solid "About the Author section? I've heard anything past 300 words is too much and anything under 100 is too little. My main concern is that I am a first time writer and I tried my darnedest to make it sound pleasant and complimentary without tooting my own horn.

2. Batgoat

Batgoat New Member

If you include your Avatar photo along with your "About the Author" then you'd rock out. I'd buy your book on that alone ;-)

3. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

Haha, /highfive

4. skeloboy_97

skeloboy_97 New Member

Make it just a majorly summarised biography of you.
    This is the one from the book I'm currently reading.
    'Alan Gibbons is a full-time writer and a visiting speaker and lecturer at schools, colleges and literary events nationwide, including the major book festivals. He lives in Liverpool with his wife and four children. Alan Gibbons has twice been shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal, with The Edge and Shadow Of The Minotaur, which also won the Blue Peter Book Award in the "Book I couldn't Put Down" category.'
    This totals at seventy words.
    Hope this helps.

5. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

If that would guarantee me more sales than my actual picture then I'd totally do it :p

Thanks for typing that one all out Skeloboy_97. I think my biggest concern is what to write as a first time author. I really don't have any writing accomplishments except an award or two on a fan-fiction piece I did 9 years ago.

6. lostinwebspace

lostinwebspace Active Member

I would have figured that would be something you worry about down the road, like just before it goes to publication. No?

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yes, that's true...

and your publisher would be the one to ask about the wording an length... or are you going to self-publish?

8. WhooshHayley

WhooshHayley New Member

I agree. Most publishers are very specific about how they present an author's details according to their own house style. Just concentrate on getting the book as strong as possible (But definitely include your photo!!)

9. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

I suppose it could be good to have some paragraphs about yourself pre-planned, so you can shape them to fit. No harm in writing a full 300 words about yourself and trimming out some parts if the publisher asks for shorter later. The first time I was published I freaked out and told them not to put anything. :p There were like 2 lines basically explaining that I existed (name, age and location :p) and "this is her first published story" and that was it... The next time I had to do an "about the author" I wrote it myself and it was still very very short, but at least wasn't clinical-sounding like that. I probably *should* keep an about the author planned somewhere so I'm not so alarmed and incompetent next time...

10. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

Probably should have mentioned that in the beginning. Yes, I am going to self publish. The book should be released right around Christmas.

I've hired an amazing artist to work on the cover and once that's done then the circle will be complete.

Vader FTW.