1. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Finally Self-Published My Backlist!!!!

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Laurin Kelly, Jul 21, 2020.

My books were out of print for an entire year after my publisher, Less Than Three Press, closed their doors in July 2019.

Due to some difficulties in my personal life (the gory details are in my Progress Journal if you're curious), I simply could not muster up the wherewithal to begin the self-publishing journey despite having full rights reversed, including use of cover art.

This weekend I decided to finally stop procrastinating, and lo and behold, within a few short days my three books are up on Amazon! I'm especially thrilled to have my third book Gravity up for sale, since it had only been available for purchase for three short weeks when my publisher went out of business.

Anyway, it's been a rough 2019 and 2020, but I'm proud of myself for digging out of the pit of depression and anxiety and getting my books out there again!

https://www.laurinkelly.com/books

Cave Troll, ruskaya, Malisky and 10 others like this.
  2. Madman

Madman Senior Member

Congratulations!

3. Laurin Kelly

Thank you!!!!

4. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Congratulations!

5. Laurin Kelly

Thank you!

marshipan likes this.
  6. jannert

jannert Who? Whooo? Staff Supporter Contributor

Excellent news. And a good cautionary tale about the fine print that comes with a traditional publishing contract. If the company goes bottom-up, you certainly want the rights to your books to revert to you ...preferably instantly, without having to resort to lawsuits, etc.

7. Laurin Kelly

Yes, I was soooooo lucky with LT3, they were consummately professional and went above and beyond, especially with giving me the rights to the cover art that they commissioned. It would have cost me a fair penny to have three covers re-designed, and since I loved the original covers I'd have hated to lose them.

I have heard many horror stories about presses folding with no warning and the owners fleeing off into the night, back royalties not paid, pulling teeth to get a rights revision letter...ugh. There are still a few publishers out there in my genre, but the majority of them are having trouble - Dreamspinner hasn't paid royalties to some of their authors for almost a year now from what I've heard through the grapevine.

It's only been a few days, but I've sold a handful of ebooks and I'm averaging over 1,000 KU page reads per day so far, which is better than I expected (to be fair, I expected pretty much nothing because of the overwhelming competition on Amazon). It's really cool to be able to see how the books are doing in real time - with LT3 I never knew how many books I'd sold until my quarterly royalty check showed up.

Larro and jannert like this.
  8. Astrea

Astrea Member

Laurin, what made you decide to go with Amazon?

9. Laurin Kelly

Honestly, it seemed the easiest direction to go in, especially as intimidated as I was. The KDP publishing tool was a piece of cake to use, as was the setup of my bookshelf and author account. I knew from my sales reports from LT3 that most of my sales came from Amazon anyway, especially with ebooks. Right now I don't mind having my books exclusively with Amazon KDP Select, as I don't really want to mess with and keep track of other platforms, at least not right out of the gate.

I was also very interested in making my books available on Kindle Unlimited, which wasn't an option I had before. A week in, my revenue appears to be 50% ebook sales and 50% KU page reads, so if that keeps up it's a heretofore untapped market for me. Romance readers tend to be fairly voracious, and KU is likely a great deal for most of them.

10. Astrea

Astrea Member

My question is related to the way Amazon treats their authors. It's quite bad. But we each have to make our own choices.

11. Laurin Kelly

Treats them in what way? I'm honestly curious, as long as they pay me accurately for my royalties and KU page reads I'm not really sure what kind of relationship I have with them?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  12. Astrea

Astrea Member

They want to own all of everyone's rights, bottom line. They've been taken to court about this. They misuse their position. Bezos is a selfish arrogant jerk who does not care who he hurts or how he walks on them or steals from them. Be careful, watch them carefully relative to your work. If you want to know all that they have done, I suggest you look them up on the net relative to their publishing endeavors and their authors' rights. I won't do business with anyone who is dishonorable on so many levels. I don't buy anything from them unless there is no other place I can find it. I'm even willing to pay more elsewhere to avoid them. I'd rather not sell books than sell through them.

13. Laurin Kelly

Thank you for the explanation. I did a fair amount of research on KDP before starting, including consulting a fair number of authors in my genre who distribute through KDP, and I feel comfortable with my decision at the end of the day. Cheers!

Homer Potvin likes this.
  14. Astrea

Astrea Member

Kindle is not the problem. It's Amazon. Good luck.

15. Laurin Kelly

To you as well! :D

16. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    What happened to "less than 3 press"? This is a publisher, right? (Yes, I'll visit google soon.)

You might have the inside track. I'd love to hear it because I have been toying with the idea of my own business. A publishing house sounds interesting.....

17. Laurin Kelly

Less Than Three Press was a publisher of LGBTQ+ Romance. They were in business for just a little over 10 years when they closed their doors last summer. As far as the reason why they went out of business, all I know is that it was not financially possible for them to continue, and they wanted to shutter before they would up in a position where they were in danger of not paying their authors or vendors (as is currently happening with Dreamspinner, who was one of their main competitors).

18. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    @ Laurin Kelly - THANKS!!