1. EricaJRothwell

EricaJRothwell Active Member

Finally!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by EricaJRothwell, Aug 23, 2015.

Finally!

I feel like shouting from the rooftops, I'm so happy. For the first time in my entire life I have written an outline for my story from beginning to end. I've never done that before, I always have a spark, start writing and never finish my books because I end up not knowing where to take it, getting frustrated and then having a new idea for something else.

Now I have my guide; mybeginning, middle and ending, I know that I'm finally going to finish a book!!!!

(I apologise if this is the wrong section to post a thread like this)

Am I the only one like this or do any of you have difficulty finishing a story?

2. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I really ought to start an outline of my own. Seems to be very helpful for planners like us. :) Good for you, you have an outline now. GET TO WRITING! :D

And yes, I have much difficulty finishing a story. I think putting it in an outline is very helpful. We can't build cars without a blueprint to build on, now can we? :p

Viridian likes this.
  3. Viridian

Viridian Member Supporter

Well done :D I originally didn't have an outline but started losing track/getting confused, so now i do. I have two WIP but haven't completed the outline for either one yet. I kinda write some, outline some. Works for me o_O

4. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

Well, we all need to find something that works best for us. :D Some like to have every little thing planned down, others prefer to write crazy with not a care in the world how much sense it makes. Whatever helps us out in the long run is what we should do.

Viridian likes this.
  5. DueNorth

DueNorth Senior Member

Always wrote from outlines when doing research papers (non-creative writing related)--don't know why I pretend that having an outline will impede the creative process. I know it won't. It really is about holding the reins when the horse wants to gallop out of the gate and simply having the self-discipline to do it. Good for you! And a good reminder for me.

6. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

It's a pretty solid system if you follow it. Baby steps, right? Step 1, A,B,C. Step 2 write A, write B, write C. Step 3, edited first draft, and so forth

7. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

And now the hard work begins :D

Joking aside, congratulations. I wrote a very brief outline for my current novel - no more than seven bullet points with a sentence or two for each - but like yourself it was the first time I hadn't taken on a novel 'idea' totally blind, and it certainly allowed me to make a start with much more confidence.

8. carsun1000

carsun1000 Active Member

Congrats on your outline. Just be ready to tweak it here and there ...unless your story is as strong as they come :)

9. Adhulari

Adhulari Member

No, you're definitely not the only one! I struggle with the exact same things. So I'm happy that you did this, I know how hard it is. Inspiring though, now I know it can be done... thanks ;)
    Happy writing!

10. C. W. Evon

C. W. Evon Member

You are so not alone! However my unfinished stories were probably for the best; I wasn't writing them because I loved them, I was writing them because I thought they would be popular.

I can only do the briefest of outlines. I extensively outlined a few stories, and then I got bored because I knew exactly what was going to happen. So in my WIP I know all the major plot points, but there's still a lot for me to discover.

Just different kinds of writers.

Anyway, congratulations!!!

11. EricaJRothwell

Thank you!! I'm also glad that I managed to inspire you! Let me know how yours goes :)

Adhulari likes this.
  12. EricaJRothwell

You've got a very good point! My outline is quite brief so I definitely have room to take my characters on a journey but I've given myself enough structure so that I don't go off on a tangent and then get frustrated with myself when I don't know where to take it next.

peachalulu likes this.