Tags:
  1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

EcoTank refillable printers -- Make sense for a writer?

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by deadrats, Nov 3, 2017.

So, I had never heard of these Eco Tank refillable printers. I know as writers there is a real benefit to printing out our work. Right now, I don't own a printer, and I think it shows a little in my work (@jannert -- that's my best excuse). Do these Eco Tank refillable printers make the most sense for someone who probably wants to print between 20 and 100 pages a week on average? Don't worry, I recycle. Anyway, I'm just looking for opinions and thoughts on these? If you have one or have tried one, please let me know what you think. Thank, guys.

Fiender_ and jannert like this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'm interested in these as well. I'm still using my old HP Deskjet 6940, but it's not going to last forever. I hope some folks respond who are in the know about these new printers.

deadrats likes this.
  3. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I don't think I've ever printed out anything I've written.

You're thinking that it's valuable to read over your work in a different format?

jannert likes this.
  4. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

I have one and I love it. It saves so much money.

Fiender_ likes this.
  5. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Hands up if you clicked on this thread fully expecting it to be spam.

6. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Me miss me :D

that aside I've looked at them - currently the price of the ink doesnt make sense .... when Ineed a manuscript printed out I put it on a stick and take it to a copyshop

OurJud likes this.
  7. deadrats

It's so valuable for me. I often miss typos and stuff like that on a screen that I always seem to catch on a hard copy. I think the old print-it-out-and-take-a-red-pen-to-it method really does help my writing. But just need a new printer for it.

minstrel and jannert like this.
  8. deadrats

Can I ask you which one you have and how you picked that one? Any tips when buying one of these?

9. deadrats

Lol. Sorry about that.

10. deadrats

I don't know if you're thinking of something else, but the whole point of these is that the ink is so cheap and lasts forever. Well, not really forever. They say two years. I figure it's probably half that or even a little less for how much I want to use it. But the refills are $5 or $10 from what I've seen. It looks like you pay a little more for these upfront, but the ink price and how often you have to change it seems to be the real benefit.

11. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

It certainly helps me, although I'm getting better at reading off a screen. A screen is certainly less expensive and wasteful (if you already have a screen, that is! :) ) I can edit off a screen, but I find it hard to get into 'reading' mode. However, transferring my stuff to Kindle and reading it on that screen is okay. It's just a pain in the arse to make notations, though. That teeny little keyboard....

12. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

This. Squared. To the power of a really big number.

I absolutely must have printouts of my stuff. It's not that expensive for me, because I keep a couple of HP color LaserJets around for actual engineering work I get paid for (not that I do much of that, these days, but it justifies the cost of the printers, toner, paper, etc.). Darn it, I need a copy I can mark up in angry red ink, and add to in gentler blue or green ink, or do unspeakable things to in my favorite black ink.

I also just don't feel like I've written something until it's printed out on actual paper. I have to be able to hold it in my hands, feel its weight, riffle through its pages. Just like cavemen did back in the twentieth century.

Laurus and deadrats like this.
  13. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm printing mine at intervals because I realized that of my past writing, what I still have was from the stone age when I used 3.5 inch floppies that I didn't trust, and therefore printed. As soon as I got nice big trustworthy hard drives, I started losing stuff, because I'm not systematic about moving from computer to computer. So I'm printing again.

14. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

May be its different in the states but over here 70ml of black ink for one of these is a tenner , colour refils come in at 48 quid (ie 12 quid per colour ) and you can't run it with the colour reservoir empty to print monotone .... plus the printer itself is about 250 quid.... so as i said the economics just don't make sense...

15. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

I print mine out once I've finished my first round of edits. For whatever reason, I absolutely miss things on screen that are glaringly obvious when I see them printed out. The last time I was red-penning my MS in the library a lovely young lady walked by and asked me what I was doing my thesis on. :supergrin:

There's no way I'm printing out 150-200 page manuscripts at home, though - it would cost me a fortune in ink, paper and printer wear and tear. I upload the Word doc to FedEx Office's website and have it printed on the cheapest paper available for around twelve bucks (I could get even cheaper if I did 2 sided, but with the thinner paper it's hard on my eyes). I can usually pick it up the next day or day after at the latest.

ETA: There's also something personally satisfying about seeing all those pages I worked my ass off on in a pile. It just looks so...substantial. I still have the original printed MS of my first book that I'm holding onto for sentimental reasons. I told Mr. Kelley to bury it with me when I die. :D

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  16. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

I got this one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01122JFSM/?tag=writingfor07a-20

The brand and company was recommended by Clark Howard, I think. Anyway, it's working out.

deadrats likes this.
  17. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I've been looking into one of these as well. I like printing things out just because I like having a physical copy I can write all over and highlight and do whatever with when editing and there's always the occasional thing from other jobs and personal stuff that occasionally requires a something printed every once in a while. I have a brother all in one right now and I absolutely hate it. It uses ink constantly cleaning itself whether you're actually printing anything or not and it's a pain in the butt to be plugging it in and hooking it up every time I need to do something with it. The only thing that's been actually stopping me is the initial outlay. It's good to know people on here have a good opinion of them.