Finding a place to write

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lever, Jul 11, 2012.

1. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

You do realize they have a pretty good corner on the tea market yes? Some of my favorite teas are Starbucks.

2. Elixir

Elixir New Member

I don't trust starbucks one bit. Even though the Tazo tea is delicious, it's created by a company that creates sweetener producing proteins out of fetus cells.

3. BFGuru

BFGuru Active Member

What? That makes no sense.

4. moscowwoah

moscowwoah New Member

I have a spare room where I do the majority of my writing. I've made it so that it has the lighting I enjoy, and pictures of places I've been on the walls to inspire me.

I do a lot of note taking everywhere, and carry around a little notebook with me most places I go. But it doesn't get truly written until I am home, in my writing room.

5. moscowwoah

moscowwoah New Member

I live alone, so it's easy to find peace and quiet. Most times I will write at my kitchen table, longhand, and then when I have a couple of pages, I'll come to the room I designed as my "writing room" and type it out on the computer, fixing, adding, and sometimes re-writing completely as I go along.

6. Bluesman

Bluesman New Member

I like to go into a coffee place with my little laptop. It takes forever for your coffee to cool down anyways so there's a good reason to sit around and spend some times, and I like the energy of people hanging out there. They usually play calming music in those places. Places I've never visited before also work for me in a weird way. When I want to seriously edit my stuff, I go home and work on my desktop which has two big-ass widescreen monitors.

Try working with two screens once, I promise you'll never go back.

But fetus cells make my coffee so much more delicious.

And baby seals make such a nice jacket, too.

7. Padfoot

Padfoot New Member

Haha! Same here, never go to one to write though. I do a lot of writing at work (desk job) eating cookies and drinking coffee anyway. At home, I cant seem to get peace. I'm working towards being an animal behavior consult, so I have tons of animals and if it's not the cat knocking things off my shelf, the kitten trying to dance on my keyboard, it's the puppy barking.

So anywhere that's not home is preferable haha.

8. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

I have a special couch on which I write. If I'm not working there, it is on a special desktop computer. If not there, I'm writing at the library, either whilst in the embrace of a slightly-less-than-special chair or in front of a very unremarkable public computer. Sometimes, I write in the nude.

9. pigsbreath

pigsbreath New Member

I like writing while listening to music for inspiration. I also don't like writing on the computer.

10. if.you.see.kay

if.you.see.kay New Member

What library lets you sometimes write in the nude?!

11. MistyGirl

MistyGirl New Member

Even though I have only been writing off and on for 3 or so years, my comfort writing space of choice is in a study/office in our house. I have a big desk with a book case above and my widescreen PC monitor is sitting there waiting to get my attention. I settle back in my big leather office chair and have an ottomon under the desk to put my feet on when I want. My husband and I collect Asian art and furniture, so in this room is a Samurai sword, a silk wall hanging, Fu Dogs and a very old hand carved wooden Dragon Chair. I can gaze out my big picture window and see the world go by if I want. It's my cozy spot where I write, eat and just be....I LOVE it!

Truthfully, where you write is a personal choice, there is no rule, what-so-ever. It's how you feel in that spot when you write. If you are constantly agitated and can't settle in, that probably is not the right spot. If you feel all warm and cozy, cumfy and wonderful, then where ever that place is, is the right one. It does not matter really, not one bit. Just write where you like and feel right.

Good luck and happy writing.

12. P.V. Moyer

P.V. Moyer New Member

Sitting in the corner of the couch, laying in bed with my wife. Lately, since I've been working like crazy, at my work desk.

13. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

The one at the local nudist colony, of course. The college library never has a computer to spare, and the county library is much the same. I do make sure to bring a towel to lay over the chairs in the nudist library, however. It's quite a relaxing practice, actually.

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Gives a whole new meaning to "hanging out at the library"...

15. shaylyn

shaylyn New Member

I'm one of those coffee shop writers. I can write at home but only really late at night once my husband has gone to bed and I'm completely alone. That doesn't happen though as I get tired earlier on nowadays. So I've found a local coffee shop with free WiFi and good coffee and I sit with my back to the rest of the shop, facing a huge wall of windows that look out over one of the main streets in my town. It's particularly blustery today. Perfect weather for writing.

16. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

Well that's a cheeky thing to say...

17. Gilborn

Gilborn Member

If you live in a city that has an under utilized public train system, I've found getting a day pass and riding around all day next to a window is the perfect way for me to write. The whole reason I tried the first time is a I heard the idea for Harry Potter hit her while she was on a train. I find the that constantly changing surroundings, prevents me from getting stuck on any one object for too long. I've also found that people are generally less talkative on a train than any other public transportation I've take (not sure why). However, chaos is what drives my writing and inspires me so the inconsistencies help keep me focused. When I was in college I would have to write all of my papers on my laptop while sitting in the common building with the TV and people around me. As long as I can hear myself think clearly there isn't to much noise.

The best advise I can offer is to find what it is that fuels your writing and inspires you, and then immerse yourself in that while writing (at least the best you can).