1. yorutora

yorutora New Member

Hog tied...Lost

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by yorutora, Feb 8, 2011.

Hi everyone, I am trying to write a novel on something with horses and dogs and farm life but i can't really come up with a good story to go with it. that would be great if you guys could help me out with that.

2. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

Read a lot of books and watch a lot of movies with farm life.

3. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Go read Charlotte's Web. :)

Watch the tv show Mr. Ed. :)

Lots of cartoons take place on farms, like Rover Dangerfield. :D

4. Northern Phil

Northern Phil Active Member

It depends on what you are looking to write, are you looking for a realistic story or a story aimed at a young audience?

A realistic story would revolve around people working hard and long hours for little reward. A story aimed at a young audience would be a lot happier and may include some fantasy elements such as talking animals.

5. ILoveWriting

ILoveWriting New Member

When I want to write a horsey story (very often)it is usually about wild horses but as your would be about tame, how about you type horse story ideas into Google and have a read but don't copy. It's what I do... Hope it helps
    ;) :p

6. yorutora

yorutora New Member

yea my story is more aimed towards a teenage audience of realistic opportunities like hard times, but also miracles that don't normally happen but not like talking to animals, kind of like the story Flicka.:)

7. yorutora

yorutora New Member

I'm still having a hard time coming up with a plot I don't want it to be cheesy, but I want it to be a free spirit story.:confused:

8. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

You might have to practice by writing dozens or hundreds of stories before you get away from writing cheesy or dumb stories. You need to write, to practice. Not whine and hesitate.

9. Manav

Manav New Member

What you have here is the setting. Now, go daydream about what type of characters you want in those settings and what you want them to do. Frankly, nobody can tell you those things and it is very important that you come up with those things. I am sorry, but the question is too broad to give specific answers.

10. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Hmm I have a character with a farm - he is an animal empath, works his farmhands hard.

Do you want humans involved ? What kind of humans how old? Do you want magic or to have it real ?

11. Anonym

Anonym New Member

Ruminate over it, let it stew in your mind. Try to find inspiration in real life, the people you know, things you experience, ect. Do some research on the aspects of a story, setting, tension/conflict, ect.
    And of course, read. A lot.

12. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

if you want to be a writer, you'll have to be able to come up with your own ideas... that's what writers do, y'know...

13. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

Think out-of-the-box.
    Take animals everybody hates (rats?) and ones that everybody loves (horses, dogs). Reverse characters, so the rats are the sweeties and the sweeties are the rats. You can give it a twist to humans (nice people are not always so nice as they appear, and rats may be good people after all).

I remember some story that goes something like:
    "A small chick was running hard to a cow. The cow moohed, "why are you running, little thing?"
    "The fox is after me," she uttered.
    "Come, sit behind me," the cow said.
    The chick crawled behind the cow, who then dumped a pile of her congested meal of that day right over the chick, covering her completely.
    The fox came, out of breath, and asked "Have you see a little yellow chicken?"
    "No," she moohed. "Sorry." And the fox moved on.

Morale: those who sh*t on you are not always your enemies.

Cheers!

14. yorutora

yorutora New Member

Yes, I am picturing something like a rancher and his daughter living on a farm with horses, but to make the story there would be something special between the teenage girl and one horse in particular. Her father is divorced and she rarely ever gets to see her mother so she finds a friend in the horse. The time setting will be 1950s era, it will be as real as possible no magic or supernatural things.

Hey i think I've got it!

Thanks to everyone who has helped.;)