1. HashemPicnic

HashemPicnic New Member

Finding Non-Fiction Stories/Anecdotes/Examples

Discussion in 'Research' started by HashemPicnic, Oct 23, 2021.

Hello everyone,
    Do you have any tips on Finding stories (case studies, anecdotes, examples)/.
    For instance for a task like this : find a story of a brand that advertised early on social media (first mover) AND how that made it difficult to unseat later.

2. Joe_Hall

Joe_Hall I drink Scotch and I write things

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for...
    But it I have to take a stab at it, I would go with Big Tobacco. They were very quick to adopt television (if you consider that social media) and I can still sing the Winston Cigarette jingle. The tobacco industry became very entrenched and was extremely hard to get out of mainstream society. In fact we still have not entirely succeeded.

3. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

Are you asking for help with homework?

4. HashemPicnic

HashemPicnic New Member

@Catriona Grace No, I'm not. This was just an example that I found difficult to answer. I'm more interested in the general principle rather than the specifics of this instance. This skill of finding stories is needed in content marketing, a career path that I'm pursuing and in general in my research interests.

Catriona Grace likes this.
  5. HashemPicnic

HashemPicnic New Member

@Joe_Hall thank Jo. As I said, I'm more interested in the general principles that someone would follow in order to find a story that fits predefined criteria to prove a point or demonstrate a concept. (find an example of a lazy but successful person? find an example of a company that failed in its country of origin but succeeded in foriegn countries, etc, etc).
    Some tips might be "look in quora"" or think of certain phrases that would be found in such a story and then google them "successful even if lazy" "company initially failed in its native"
    Is that clearer?

6. evild4ve

evild4ve Critique is stranger than fiction Supporter Contributor

general knowledge: the Farmville game
    check wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FarmVille
    seems to fit, so could next go wider into Google to find someone's perspective-based history of it
    Google: the story of Farmville... the development of Farmville... the FarmVille brand etc

7. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I start out with Google or a more specific search engine. If I don't find what I want that way, I call my handy dandy local research librarians and ask for help. They have never- never- failed me in almost half a century of doing research, some of which was esoteric, to say the least.

HashemPicnic likes this.