Tags:
  1. Concord

Concord New Member

Finding similar themes

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Concord, Aug 11, 2008.

Hello all--

I’ve been trying to write a ghost story/contemporary fairy tale where the protagonist is more afraid of the outside world then they are about dealing with a supernatural threat in their own home. More then any help with plot, I’m looking to really solidify the theme.

At the moment, it’s a mishmash on the complexities of fear. The fears children have vs the fears adults have, the way fear can be instilled in children and most importantly--how the fear of growing up and the fear of never growing up can co-exist in the same person.

Essentially my protagonist is a girl 18-19 who’s been crippled by such things. Not in her outward appearance, just in every little decision, action, reaction and most importantly INACTION is motivated largely by all her internal fears. I’m almost envisioning it as an ‘anti-story’ where a person’s refusal to take part in the adventure leads to a lot of destruction.

The thing is I don’t know if this all sounds convoluted or not, and I think it’s keeping me from developing the story. So I was wondering if anyone here knew of other stories that dealt with similar ideas. They don’t have to be in the same genre, but I guess I’m just trying to see where this will ultimately fit in. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It doesn't sound too convoluted to me. As you write it out, just make sure your characters are cleanly developed. Reinforce key behavoral aspects by showing them through more than one action (or inaction), and I'm sure it will all sort out nicely for you.

3. TwinPanther13

TwinPanther13 New Member

Nah it is cool. My only question is she afraid like people are going to send her to the nut house for seeing ghosts that are very real in her home. Or is she afraid of embarrasing family by screaming about ghosts.

It already sounds like it could be very suspenseful and i would like it