1. ManicHedgehog

ManicHedgehog Member

Finding the right publication?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by ManicHedgehog, Jun 7, 2009.

I've had a finished short story incubating for a while, and I feel like I'm ready to send it out for publishing. However, I've been told that it's always best to read through the literary journals you're looking to get published in, and I can't seem to find any in my town's libraries that are right for me. I know about Duotrope, but when I type in my parameters, I get so many results!

I guess what I'm asking is, do you look through every journal you send out to? Do you order journals hard copy just to look through them, or do you save your money and just dive in? I've never had any of my fiction published, so I want to make sure I do it right the first time.

2. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

ManicHedgehog,

I believe that to order a copy of journal you hope to submit to in an effort to determine if your story is a good fit for that market would be a waste of money. If you truly have an interest in what the publication puts out, that is another question. The markets need readers to pay their writers and stay afloat.

Often the different markets, found on duotrope or where ever, have at least one story or so available online as a teaser. Sometimes old or archived stories might be available. Skim through those. If nothing else it'll give you an idea how well they edit and the quality of stories yours will be grouped with if your work is accepted. On the other hand, maybe nothing is available to look at except titles and you'll only get a shot in the dark to discover if yours is a good match.

Of course the guidelines and the 'about' section on a market's website will give some direction as to what they publish.

It's a little harder with literary than say, SF or Fantasy, as far as what a market is interested in.

Good luck placing your piece.

Terry