1. Mr. Write

Mr. Write Member

Finding time to read

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Mr. Write, Nov 17, 2017.

I have always been a voracious reader. When I read a book, I always finish it within 48 hours (or 24 hours when on vacation). Since I am not a read-a-chapter-or-two-a-day reader I have noticed that I have stopped reading while writing my manuscript.

When I complete my third edit in the next week or two, I am going to put the manuscript aside and give myself some reading time. I have new books by several of my favorite authors waiting for my attention.

Do the rest of you find that it is difficult to find the time to read other authors while writing your own manuscript?

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Yeah, when I'm actively working on a big project I tend to use reading time to write instead, since I'm a binge reader as well and not often satisfied to just read a chapter or two here or there. The time feels better spent writing instead. It's good to take breaks from writing to get the reading in, sometimes.

3. OJB

OJB A Mean Old Man Contributor

I try to read before I go to bed at night.

-

However, I tend to binge read material that I am trying to improve in. Example: I am learning to write Metrically, so I've been reading a lot of Metrical poetry and Narratives written in Blank verse as of late.

With all that said, my reading does get put on the backburner when I am really churning out words.

-OJB

4. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

While working on a project, I don't do much pleasure reading. There's usually enough research reading to keep me busy. I'd love to be one of those people who reads before bed, but my reading retention is at its worst at night. So, I keep a stack of books for binge-reads when I'm not writing.