1. grayj0265

grayj0265 Member

Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by grayj0265, Aug 1, 2019.

Hi, I'm really not that good at introductions if truth be known. The reason why I am on here, to be honest, is to get feedback on stories that I am writing. If you want to have blood shooting out of your eyes, I got great news for you. My writing and grammar is so bad, that I will have that need covered for you. So please feel free to say hello and ask any questions you feel like asking. (I'm much better of answering questions about myself than what I am about telling myself. I know a disaster in the making.)

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yikes. Bad grammar, bad writing, a disaster in the making, blood shooting out of my eyes ...what's not to like? :)

I'm sure you'll be fine and fit in beautifully here.

I'm one of the moderators, and want to say welcome to the forum.

Wanting feedback on stories is one of the reasons members join this forum, and we have a forum Workshop that's designed for just that purpose. You can post excerpts from short stories and novels, poetry, etc, in the Workshop and members will give you critiques on your work.

HOWEVER....

There are some criteria you must meet before you are allowed to start a thread in the Workshop. Our New Member Start Guide should keep you right, so here's the link to it:
    New Member Quick Start

Be aware as well, that the Workshop is the only place on the forum where you ARE allowed to post your work.

These rules are in place to prevent drive-by memberships—where members join up, get feedback for their own work, then slope off to pastures new. This is a community, and we encourage give and take.

So ...take some time to explore the forum and get to know us. Feel free to participate in any of the threads you find interesting, so we get to know you as well. Each post you make on a thread counts towards one of your 20 posts which you must make before you achieve full membership, so don't hold back.

A critique also counts as a post, so feel free to visit the Workshop and give constructive critique to any pieces of writing that you find interesting. You will need to do two critiques for every one of your own Workshop threads, so critique posts count 'double.' The two-for-one ratio isn't just for new members, but applies throughout your time here, so feel free to do lots of critiques and build up a backlog. The writers appreciate honest and helpful feedback, and so will you, once your turn comes to get some. If you're not sure what we mean by 'critique,' this should help.
    https://www.writingforums.org/threads/constructive-critiques.20627/

And this link should help you identify who is who, in terms of Staff and other levels of Membership.
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/usergroups.114/

Here is a link to the forum 'map' which should help you find areas of the forum you might want to visit.
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/

Last, but certainly not least, give a look at our Forum Rules. They set up the perimeters of what is and isn't acceptable on the forum.
    Forum Rules

Anyway, have fun! Take your time, and jump in whenever the mood strikes you. If you encounter any problems, feel free to 'start a conversation' with me, and I'll do my best to help. (Just click my owl avatar and follow the signs...)

See you around the threads, although I hope my eyes don't start bleeding when I do. :)

Cheers, Jan

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  3. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of great people here that will share their thoughts and it is up to you to glean the helpful stuff.
    When I read your intro, I couldn’t help but reflect on my start here. I quickly learned if I wanted to be a writer I had to do my due diligence in attaining the knowledge to accomplish my goals.
    There are quiet a few how-to books, but the two books that I feel are important (at least to me) were On Writing and Elements of Style.
    https://www.amazon.com/Writing-10th-Anniversary-Memoir-Craft/dp/1439156816/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1EOIPQDMQULGD&keywords=stephen+king+on+writing&qid=1564687923&s=gateway&sprefix=stephen,aps,200&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-William-Strunk-Jr/dp/1612931103/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=29T1LXA6H9EP4&keywords=elements+of+styles+strunk+and+white&qid=1564687828&s=gateway&sprefix=elements+of+style,aps,194&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1

jannert likes this.
  4. grayj0265

grayj0265 Member

Thank you both for the warm welcome.

jannert likes this.