Tags:
  1. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Fire Jussie Smollett

Discussion in 'Debate Room' started by EBohio, Feb 22, 2019.

I don't watch the show "Empire", but look at how now I know who this guy Jussie Smollett is, and that was the motivation for his fake attack (more notoriety then more money).

He is back on the set and some of the cast is furious. I don't blame them.

I think they should write him out immediately, and with a script just as he faked this one. His character should be a victim of a hate crime but the perpretators should get completely away with it so it can't be an ongoing storyline.

2. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

Oh, yeah. It's hard to believe he hasn't been canned already. Rosanne lost her show overnight for a lot less.

Oscar Leigh and EBohio like this.
  3. mmarage

mmarage The Detective Contributor

Right? I mean, she just made a dumb insulting tweet at a person, he literally made a false hate crime accusation, wasted police resources, and god forbid if two men had been caught on camera arriving from the scene of the crime, would have had their lives ruined due to his accusation. I mean, I tend to try and withhold judgement until all the evidence is in, but in this case, I'm fairly certain that he's full of it. I mean, his story just doesn't make a lick of sense.

He, a C-list celebrity who I have honestly never even heard of up until this moment, was in Chicago, not even his home city, out in the dead of night in -20 degree weather in heavy winter clothing, was recognized by two strangers who just so happened to have clothes line for a noose and bleach, and these two strangers actually turn out to be extras from his show whom he purportedly had a good relationship with. Not only that, but during the altercation, they managed to slip the noose around his neck and he never let go of his sandwich while fighting off two full grown men, or he did drop it and while he was running away, had the brilliant idea to stop, bend over, grab his sandwich, and continue to run, giving his attackers a very good opportunity to successfully carry out their attack. After that, instead of going to the hospital or the police, he instead calls his manager. On top of that, he says that he never planned on reporting the crime to the police until he was talked into it, but kept the noose around his neck for an entire hour to 'not contaminate the evidence'. Also, can't help but notice the lack of chemical burns from having straight up bleach poured on him, which screams to me that it was diluted with water beforehand to not cause as much skin irritation as possible, but of course, it could have also been soaked up by his clothing, but still.

Oh, and the MAGA country nonsense he purported also seemed unlikely to me. I thought that Trump supporters tended to use MAGA as more of a unifying phrase than one to attack people with, just sayin'. Not sure if this was just a big publicity stunt to get his name out into the news, or if it was for some other god awful reason, but either way it's just straight up disgusting. False reports and accusations tend to harm the victims of real crimes, because when they come out, more and more people are going to think 'Well, this is just going to be more bullshit'. That isn't to say the real victims of it all, the people that they accuse, which in this case was thankfully no one, but god forbid if they had managed to find two men leaving the crime scene that their lives would have been ruined by this false report because unfortunately in the court of public opinion, people tend to just rush in and say 'Yeah, you're guilty, time to have your life ruined!' before all the evidence is out there. In Smollett's case, I don't think he would have had the balls to go out and say 'No, these men weren't the ones that attacked me' because it would have been convenient to say 'Oh, yes, these are the men that attacked me! Throw the book at them!'.

4. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I'd write him the most embarrassing exit TV's ever seen.

5. Earp

Earp Contributor Contributor

He has been written out of the last two episodes of this season. No mention of next season.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  6. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

Could they be making a stand against Cancel Culture here?

"We didn't fire Smollett, so how could we fire so and so over their 2011 breech of etiquette?"

7. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I'd wish they stop with firing everyone unless they committed a crime - not 'hate' speech - but a crime. That goes with either side of the political fence. I'm fine with them firing Jussie though because making up a crime, even if it's not a crime, should be criminal - as you've totally distracted cops from actual crimes.

If we don't watch out we're going to wind up with China's vile Social Credit system.

8. jannert

jannert Who? Whooo? Staff Supporter Contributor

People can wreck their reputations in all sorts of ways, but if they do it by telling outrageous lies, I doubt they'll ever be believed again. Whatever his motivation, I suspect he's wrecked his life. I'm thankful his story didn't wreck anybody else's.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  9. mmarage

Oh yes, false reporting is most definitely a crime, a federal one at that, oh, and a felony as well. That's why Mr. Smollett could serve up to three years of prison for his actions. I mean, for one, you could cause harm, both legal and social to whoever you accuse, and second, you're wasting police resources for something that you know to be false, thus wasting the tax payers dollar and possibly assisting a real criminal by allocating resources that could be used to be finding them to instead go on a wild goose chase.

And agreed, the whole 'hate speech' crap just annoys me at this point. Okay, someone said something stupid a long time ago, or just insulted someone you like, or expressed an opinion with which you disagree, why should they lose their job over that? Unless they're acting as a representative of the company that they work for, are talking about an issue related to their work publicly, and then berating the public, even fans or customers of their product, or publicly badmouthing their company, or expressing views which would make it appear they may cause actual harm (Such as a nurse who said that she wanted her patients to die because of certain traits that they possessed), they should not lose their job over something as stupid as a tweet or a post made off of work time or so long ago they and most people do not remember it.

For instance there was that one director for the Guardians of the Galaxy who made a bunch of edgy and inappropriate jokes like... I want to say... 7-9 years ago now? It was essentially just edgy boy's first twitter. They were dumb jokes, highly inappropriate, but ultimately harmless. The thing that annoyed me about it was that it was coming from the right this time who constantly decry it whenever it happens to someone on their side, but since this dude was a lefty, they were like 'Burn the witch!', 'They do it to us, so let's do it to them!'.

Oscar Leigh and peachalulu like this.
  10. EBohio

EBohio Banned

I heard the character will die.

11. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

In the uk 'Wasting police time' is a criminal offence - I'd be surprised if there isn't something similar in the states

Oscar Leigh, mmarage and peachalulu like this.
  12. mmarage

There is. You can go to jail for filing a false police report. It's a federal offense and a felony if I'm not mistaken, so Smollett should be imprisoned for a year or more if proven guilty. But of course he's moderately wealthy so yeah, might just get a little slap on the wrist and a 'Don't do it again'.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  13. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

I don’t know. I’m in the “mandatory psychotherapy and keep him on Empire crowd,” so I don’t want to see him in jail for it, however, I saw the mayor on tv acting personally offended and pissed off about the stunt, so he might be in trouble.