FireHeart Progress Journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by BlitzGirl, Jun 4, 2018.

1. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

12/5/2018 Update: I am soooo excited! I just finished writing the chapter that features the attack on the temple and the aftermath! I think I will actually finish the rough draft of this story before the end of the year, at this rate! Now, some deaths that happened will be handled a bit better in the typed draft later, but it's okay that Kaina isn't feeling the impact of the deaths so strongly right away. It's a lot for her to absorb, and she's traumatized enough already by everything that's happened in the story. So, some issues from this chapter will fully show themselves in later chapters.

Now I just need to get Kaina saying goodbye to Teran, who will then volunteer to join her on her journey across the desert, and then their group can get moving! It really is the beginning of the end!

Stormburn and Nariac like this.
  2. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

Yes!:superagree:

BlitzGirl likes this.
  3. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

Um, so...yeah, I just wrote a sex scene in a YA story... But, like ANY sex scene in any story I've tried to write, no matter the age of the characters, I tried to be as vague as possible. I just didn't feel that a "fade to black" moment would have been appropriate for this, since it is kind of a big deal for Kaina. But, rough drafts are always a bit clunky no matter what's being written, so I know that I can improve it later. I just see Kaina and Teran as being a really cute couple, as perfect a pairing as Kaina was with Sari before that relationship had to come to an end.

SPOILER:
    When Kaina becomes Phoenix Queen later, she actually ends up marrying Teran and they have a daughter later down the road. I just can't get those two out of my head! :love:

Stormburn and Spirit of seasons like this.
  4. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

12/7/2018 Update: Wrote a little yesterday and today, moving forward with Chapter 45. Kaina is going to search for Erif, the Phoenix, with three others: Teran, Seshara, and Bahrem. I'm hoping to end this chapter when they reach the border of the desert. Then, when they make camp one night, I can actually give all four characters a moment to talk about recent events.

I really do think that, if I keep up this pace, I will finish the rough draft before the end of the year.

Stormburn likes this.
  5. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

12/8/2018 Update: Finished typing up the second draft of Chapter 32, when Kaina and Sari are caught and it's decided Sari will be excommunicated. Literally the only reason why Kaina isn't expelled for breaking tenants is because she is the Speaker, and there's only ever one with those powers in existence at a time. Got a little progress in typing Chapter 33, when news about Kaina and Sari's affair is spread throughout the temple and, in a conflict, accidentally causes the death of Kira, the one who had gotten them in trouble...

Stormburn likes this.
  6. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

12/9/2018 Update: Typed up the second draft of Chapter 33. This is where Sari officially leaves, Kaina confronts the one responsible for getting them into trouble, accidentally kills her, then runs away. Whirlwind of emotions, really. Another chapter will be typed up next weekend, so in the meantime I hope I can keep pushing forward through the rough draft!

Stormburn likes this.
  7. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

12/10/2018: Only had a page or two to go before I was finished with the rough draft of Chapter 45. This really is the beginning of the end... They now have to cross the desert, and I don't know how long it's going to take. It can't take too long, because that may drag it out longer than it should. But it also can't be too quick of a trip, otherwise it will lack danger. But they do have to make it to the mountain in time to help Erif.

So far, this is my tentative plan:

• Chapter 46: While camping for the first night in the desert, the group gets some time to talk about recent events and contemplate what they are doing, and allow all of the emotional aftermath to sink in. The next day, they continue onward. There may even be some time skips as they go forward with their journey.
    • Chapter 47: They keep going, and Kaina will have dreams (which are really visions) about Erif's current state, and the danger they will meet once they reach the mountain. They may even be able to pick up Erif's trail by finding some of his feathers, and even his "blood", on the sand (I don't envision the Phoenix as having blood in the way we think of it. Any "blood" that comes out of his wounds would be the iridescent Phoenix-fire, since he embodies fire and the sun and is a god). This chapter may entirely comprise of the bulk of their journey.
    • Chapter 48: They finally reach the end of the desert. Kaina knows that Erif is in the area, somewhere near the foot of the mountain, but he's too weak to keep going on his own. By this point, the solar eclipse (which is a magical rather than astronomical event) is nearly complete, indicating Erif's proximity to death. The characters go out to search, and now they are at the foot of the mountain range that separates the desert from lands beyond. But of course, Belan and the men who survived had also been tracking the Phoenix, and the characters have to fight them off, buy Kaina time. She pushes on alone but, of course, Belan manages to slip away and goes after her. In the end, he will be apprehended (not killed - Kaina will show mercy even if she wants revenge on him). The rest of the chapter will be Kaina encouraging Erif to make the flight up to the top of Eldnik Peak, and she'll join him. He'll successfully reincarnate, and Kaina will be the first to meet the new Phoenix that's born from Erif's ashes.
    • Chapter 49: A denouement that wraps up the story, taking place after Kaina and her companions return to Emalfir. Belan and his surviving men, as well as any co-conspirators, will be sentenced to life in prison. King Sarif will realize the error of his ways and abdicate. Queen Anaka, who has recovered from being poisoned, will take control, but will eventually suggest that Kaina take her place, with Anaka acting as regent. Ultimately, with the new Phoenix's advice and endorsement, Kaina will accept. She will become the new Phoenix Queen, with Teran marrying her and becoming king. I know this sounds kinda silly, but it's going to make more sense when I actually end up writing it all!
    • Epilogue: Years later, Phoenix Queen/Spearker Kaina is still struggling with nightmares and PTSD. The eunuch who had served as Kaina's bodyguard, Bahrem, has since become the new Captain of the city guard and is one of her closest friends and advisers. Seshara, her attendant as Speaker, remains her attendant as queen. She has used the her time as queen to change a lot of things about Remmusism, but for the better. She also ends up remaining in contact with her friends and learns that Sari has been living peacefully with a new girlfriend, who she hopes to marry if Kaina makes it legal for same-sex couples to do so (as someone who is bisexual, and having known Sari and Bahrem, both homosexuals, she definitely wants to see that kind of change happen in the country). Anyway, long story short...the epilogue will be showing how Kaina's life is faring years later and how her relationships with the meaningful characters in her life have been progressing, and the changes she's been enacting as queen. Might even describe more about the new Phoenix.

So...yeah, I literally have only a few more chapters left...and then the rough draft will be over!

Spirit of seasons and Stormburn like this.
  8. Spirit of seasons

Spirit of seasons Active Member

The last chapter/epilogue was so overwhelming to write. Good luck! :cheerleader:

BlitzGirl and Stormburn like this.
  9. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

Did manage to type up a chapter this weekend and start typing another, but overall I haven't been getting as much progress as I would have wanted. Had a long weekend since I took Friday off, but was lazy most of the time. :/ Hoping that the next few weeks turn out more productive.

Stormburn likes this.
  10. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

Just want to say that I'm still in a writing slump, between wanting to play more video games and going through some periods of depression and laziness. This Christmas season was really depressing for me since I was all alone and had no one to hang out with. So video games have been properly distracting me. I will definitely get back to working on this story in the new year, just need a break for now to recharge and work out my own personal issues.

Stormburn likes this.
  11. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

Oh yeah, I did recently force myself to finish a drawing of Kaina, so I might as well share it here. I drew this with the idea that it's when she's more confident. I post my art on deviantART, so I can't insert the image the way this forum wants me to, so here is the link to the page: http://fav.me/dcvqg6q

Carly Berg and Stormburn like this.
  12. Stormburn

I love the drawing!

BlitzGirl likes this.
  13. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

1/15/2019 Update: Actually managed to write a bit today! First time touching it this year, even if I didn't write much. This whole segment of the story is going to be a bit hard to write until I reach the final showdown/climax.

Alan Aspie and Stormburn like this.
  14. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

I sadly have not touched my writing at all since January. Kind of in a general mental funk right now. But I am planning on reading my story from the beginning (and hopefully making edits along the way) so that I can get myself back into the right mindset. I still want to try to finish the rough draft this year!

marshipan and Stormburn like this.
  15. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Here's hoping your reading your story amazes you ("Wow, I wrote that line? It's good!") and that the time away from your story provides you with interesting new perspectives on it.

BlitzGirl, Some Guy and Stormburn like this.
  16. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Go for it, Blitz!

BlitzGirl likes this.
  17. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

Sheesh, I haven't been writing for about four months, but I'm trying to get back into it. I just haven't been having the motivation or energy to write or draw lately. Haven't even had the time to reread my story from the beginning, like I said I would. But, I managed to make myself write a few short paragraphs in my rough draft. It's going to take some time to get back into it. :/

marshipan, Alan Aspie and Stormburn like this.
  18. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

Managed to write a little bit more (not much) and decided it was a good enough place to wrap the chapter up. So hopefully, starting a new chapter, I'll be able to get back into the rhythm of writing.

19. Stormburn

Sounds like you're getting back into a routine. Once you do that, the writing will happen. Good to hear from you again!

BlitzGirl, Alan Aspie and Dracon like this.
  20. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

So I still haven't done much, but I was trying recently to continue typing up an older chapter. Didn't get far, but I already know that I'm going to need to make some changes. Stuff I can cut out and replace with better content.

21. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Do you start that by structural work or do you jump straight to writing?

22. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

I just start writing and make the changes as I go along. When I handwrite, I don't feel I can make many on the spot changes, so when I then start typing up that handwritten chapter, actual edits start coming to mind and I revise as I go. It's as if my brain goes into "editing mode" once I start typing.

Stormburn and Alan Aspie like this.
  23. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

So, again, no progress has been made yet, but I have been thinking about changes I want to make to what's already been written. May cut out a few specific scenes, and move one important scene to later in the story. Basically, when I have been writing the chapters by hand in a notebook, I've been testing things out, seeing if a scene actually works or doesn't.

Stormburn likes this.
  24. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

Okay, I managed to go through all the chapters I've typed so far and made small edits. Now I have to keep typing the hand-written chapters, and keep writing the first draft. I still feel there could be more substantial changes I could make to the stuff I've already typed, but I'm not sure what or how.

Stormburn, Alan Aspie and Nariac like this.
  25. BlitzGirl

BlitzGirl Senior Member

I've decided that I'm going to completely rewrite the next portion of the chapter I'm currently typing. In the first draft, Kaina had been taken to the Eyrie by Erif, healed of her injuries sustained by her imprisonment, and then returned to the temple by walking through the city. Instead, I am having it be that she falls unconscious after being rescued, and wakes up back in the temple. She'll still be healed of her wounds, but she will not have remembered it happening. This way, I can cut out a lot of unnecessary expository stuff and focus more on her mental state and the others around her. But the next portion of the story should continue as originally planned, just the events leading up to it will be altered/fixed.

marshipan, Stormburn and Alan Aspie like this.