1. jumbowumbo

jumbowumbo New Member

First draft synopsis

Discussion in 'Blurb Critique' started by jumbowumbo, Oct 1, 2006.

This is only my first draft(and i've recently been informed that this is not a synopsis but rather a blurb you'd see on the back of a book). Tell me what you think. Any criticism/complements are welcome.

In the year 2013, gasoline is a rarity. In an attempt to strike gold, monopolies such as Exxon and Trinidad have set out to lay limelight upon underwater supplies. Trent, 32 and fed up with the monotonous nine to five workday, has recently began working for Trinidad; scrutinizing the ocean floor for oil wells that have dried up in the middle east. But as Trent and his co-worker Logan descend into the depths of the South Atlantic, they stumble upon an ancient pelagic relic. As the two novice submarine pilots navigate their way through a complex string of mazelike streets, they find entryway into this underwater utopia. Baffled even by its existence, the two companions delve into the heart of an abandoned civilization determined to find answers to their looming questions. The answers, in truth, hold far more mystery and puzzlement than the two could have ever imagined.

andrew smith likes this.
  2. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

Nice and quite interesting, I would like to hear more. One thing though, it kind of sounds like a synopsis, like a blog you would find on the back of the book.
    Sounds exciting though.

andrew smith likes this.
  3. Mercury

Mercury Active Member

I agree with Jumbo. It's more like a back-jacket blurb than a synopsis. You need to give more detail of the story and resolution without getting too bogged down. Give us some more detail as to how the story progresses but keep it fast paced.

andrew smith likes this.
  4. WhispWillow

WhispWillow New Member

This is not your first piece of work I take it?
    If it is I am very impressed.
    If the blurb is this good I can't wait to see the book itself. It is quite compelling.

andrew smith likes this.
  5. jumbowumbo

jumbowumbo New Member

This is my first work (I am only a junior in high school). Plesae note that my story is not finished yet and this idea that i have is subject to change, but this is what i want to write about. I thought i'd throw it out there to see what you guys think and i've been pleasently suprised to see everyone's assent.

andrew smith likes this.
  6. Spherical Time

Spherical Time New Member

Well, you've got me interested. I have some questions about why the society is still looking for gasoline, but honestly, it still sounds pretty cool to me.

andrew smith likes this.
  7. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

My understanding of a Synopsis is that its a clear and concise summary of the novel from beginning to end devoid of too much detail.

In the way I have used it when submitting, it seems that what the agents are looking for is a brief rundown of the book from top to bottom, no surprises. Whats going to happen who it happens to etc...It can be damn difficult to do this!

I can write a 500 page novel but I still *SHUDDER* when it comes to writing the synopsis.

andrew smith likes this.
  8. Nexus

Nexus New Member

Well, its not my cup'a'tea as I personally shudder at present day writing. One of my greatest gifts is endless "muse" as they call it. I only have it because I live in my own little world devoid of anyone else, and thats where my writing comes from.

It would be an excellent blurb and sounds better than most blurbs on all but the most popular books. If the novel is anything like that then I cant wait to read it.

andrew smith likes this.
  9. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

2013? Utah alone has more oil than the entire Midle east and none of it has even been tapped into. I'd have there be some sort of disaster so that they have to go back in technology and leave out ever stating the year.

andrew smith likes this.
  10. jumbowumbo

jumbowumbo New Member

I have yet to begin writing; I perfer to concieve my ideas in my head before putting my pen the paper (or fingers to the keyboard if you perfer). Since introducing this idea, i have thought of a second more involved storyline.

I still plan on including all that i've presented so far, but I'd like to have the city that i've introduced have a bit more substance. What if i write, in the first person, the story of the man who invented this cityscape. When my first protangonist, trent, stumbles upon the city, it is a desserted and desolate barren. Perhaps the diary could explain what the creator of the city was thinking/feeling. The perspective would alternate every chapter.

Any thoughts?

andrew smith likes this.