First ever test-tube hamburger. Would you eat it?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Wreybies, Aug 8, 2013.

1. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

well if you're in the UK you don't really have a lot of choice :(

It was just a massive fraud from supermarkets and major brands such as Findus - A Nestlé company - and as usual no-one ever gets punished.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Nope, I had not heard of that until looking it up now. :/

Strangely, though, I remember only too well the deal with Jack in the Box and caval and kangaroo meat in the very early 80's.

3. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Getting back to the original topic, I think that this is a rudimentary step toward the holy grail of nano-science: complete atomic restructuring.

Everything is made of the same basic building blocks and technically, the only difference between a rock and an apple is how you put these blocks together.

Once we can repurpose any mass object into any other mass object, most of the worlds problems disappear overnight. ;)

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Time for someone to build a replicator.

5. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

The first thing created better be a cup of Earl Gray tea... hot.

1 person likes this.
  6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

So elements and proteins matter not, all one need do is play with the atoms? :confused:

Because I'm pretty sure alchemy never really took off in the scientific era, despite the fact we do now know how one could turn one element into another, it takes an impractical amount of energy to accomplish.

7. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Well, of course it was a simplistic explanation but look at something like exploring the human genome, something that was considered impossible 30 years ago is becoming less costly and commonplace.

8. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

That's quite different from fission and fusion.

I'm only trying to understand your conceptualization of "the basic building blocks" and how close we are to being able to simply manipulate matter.

9. MsScribble

MsScribble Member

I know they've theoretically been able to grow this meat for awhile, but the problem is replicating the taste, since all the taste in meat comes from the fat and blood. The fact that they say it tastes a little bland sounds hopeful - bland is better than blerrrg!

I've always said I'll eat 'vat meat' as I call it as soon as it comes out, but this articles says this will take decades to be viable - I honestly was hoping it was kind of 'just around the corner.' Bummer. I think I'll just learn to eat less and less meat. We don't really need the amount we eat anyway.

Agapakis also noted that Post’s method still requires fetal bovine serum (the blood of unborn cows) for use as a cultivation medium. A cost-effective synthetic or non-animal-based alternative, Agapakis warned, may not be viable.

Well, yuk.

10. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I keep wishing that I could find _happily_ grain-fed beef. Y'know, cattle romping around a field that's soft under their little hooves, playing soccer with giant cow-spotted beachballs, munching from big barrels of tasty grain, utterly oblivious of their future fate. I want the marbling. I want the fat. That's what beef is for; if I want healthy meat I'll eat organic skinless chicken. I'll pay extortionate rates for happy well-marbled-beef, because with all that fat it's best if I can't afford to eat too much of it anyway.

But it seems to be sad well-marbled-beef, or happy annoyingly-healthy-beef.

Grumble.

(Getting back to the burger, they lost me when they mentioned the complete lack of fat.)

11. rallzo234

rallzo234 New Member

Mhm, I'd eat it out of curiosity.