1. Graham Penman

Graham Penman Member

Novel How long should a chapter be?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Graham Penman, Jun 24, 2014.

I was just going over parts of my novel and keep thinking my chapters maybe to long or short. They are all roughly 15-16 pages. Is there a general rule to chapter lengths or does it matter as long as it's not dragging on?

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

A lot of answers will be as long as you need them to be. And to a point they'll be right. But I think sometimes genre can play a part in chapter length. I've noticed Horror and Action/Crime genres love shorter chapter. Every scene is like a mini cliff-hanger

Graham Penman likes this.
  3. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

As Peach said, there is no set requirement.
    I've seen big authors have one or two page chapters and some that drag on forever.
    As long as you don't have excess fluff in a chapter (1000 words describing someone's clothing) it won't really matter how long it is :p

4. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

Graham Penman,
    As others have said, there isn't a hard and fast rule for chapter length. Some might point out, for example, that YA tends to have shorter chapter lengths than novels targeted at adults.

It's a matter of style, story being told, and how you as an author want to structure the story.

If you are concerned what's 'common' go to the bookstore or library, and check out recently published novels in the genre you're writing, and that are similar in storyline to what you're working on. That would give you a ballpark figure.

That being said, I cannot see an agent/editor turning down what is otherwise an excellent story because the chapters are too long (or short). I've never heard of such an occurrence. That chapter length is not a difficult thing to address in edits/revisions.

Good luck as you move forward.

5. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

One suggestion: get used to expressing length in terms of words rather than pages. Page totals can vary based on font size and style, line spacing and margins. Word count is word count.

6. Graham Penman

Graham Penman Member

So far, on the novel i am currently working on, i have written 2 chapters and used 6633 words.

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

In my current draft, I have one chapter of 800 words and others that are 10,000. They are as long as they need to be.