1. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

First Person Series where narrators change

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Elgaisma, Sep 30, 2010.

I am looking for a series of books told in first person where the narrator changes from book to book but most of the characters remain the same. Hardy Boys is only one I can think of (one of their series is first person POV).

I know I must have read one but can't think of any others. Doesn't matter what genre or what age group it is aimed at.

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Storm Constantine's Wraeththu series fits the bill.

3. Elgaisma

if it is half as good as your previous recommendations thank you lol I have discovered I have set myself a particular challenge with my second book because the characters I previously knew and have habits with would react differently to my twenty nine year old deputy headteacher to my seventeen year old student/king. It will be good to read how others have approached it.

I have realised it was my character that knew the others and not me:)

4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Storm Constantine's books are quite good. I second the recommendation.

5. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

A lot of K.A. Applegate's series do this. Though you might not want to read the *whole* of the Animorphs series :p

There's another one I spent months trying to think of back when I started writing own series like this, and I think I remembered it, but I've since then lost it. Ah well. :p

6. Elgaisma

ok that is me sorted lol will order them from Amazon

7. Daisy215

Daisy215 New Member

The last song by Nicholas Sparks does that. I will try to remember some others that do as well. :)

8. Elgaisma

oh i think I like him ok 4 new books on the way from amazon

9. That Secret Ninja

That Secret Ninja New Member

The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice.

5 of the 10 books are narrated by Lestat, the rest are done by his peers, cohorts and such.

Great series btw. Especially books 2-9.

10. Sackninja

Sackninja Member

The demonata series by Darren Shan fits the bill but 6 out of 10 books have the same narrator. I assume this doesn't matter.

11. lemurkat

lemurkat New Member

Kelley Armstrong, Juliet Marillier to name a couple.

The problem I've found with these sort of books is that whilst the Narrator is a different person, after a time they all start to feel a bit like the same one. Armstrong for example starts of by making her characters feel quite different - feisty, fierce Elena for the first two books, and then rather softer-hearted and more naive, Paige for the third and fouth. The problem comes further down the chain when she's introducing new characters as the narrator (like Hope or Savannah) that don't feel quite as strong or well developed, or as though enough affection has gone into creating them. I quite liked Jaime though...

Kelley Armstrong writes paranormal thillers - as in witches, werewolves, sorcerers and to a lesser extent, vampires. She's very good because her books are not soppy romances - they're thrillers with a romance side-plot.

Juliet Marilllier writes historical novels with a strong folklore element. She also writes the dark romance well. Her Sevenwaters series is the best, but her characters also seem to suffer a little from homogeneity.