1. Dipper

Dipper New Member

Just trying new stuff.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dipper, Jan 8, 2017.

Hello everybody.

My name is Dipper and I am a law student from Germany. Honestly, I don't know whether I have talent for writing or not. Right now I am in a phase of my life in which I want to try a lot of different things and writing was the first thing that came to my mind.

I was always fascinated by the structure of fiction and what it is that makes those stories great. Stories told through music, movies, books or comics, I love them all. Writing an own story was always a thing thought about and considered doing but my laziness and fear of failure stopped me from doing it or anything similar.

Yesterday I saw a YouTube video on writing and then I thought "Just do it. You don't have anything to lose." So I started a little bit of research on how and where to start. To be honest I couldn't find anything that helped me so I figured joining a community with people with the same interest, talk with them and see how they are doing would be a good start. So i decided to join this forum.

I don't have any experience in writing. The only thing I have ever written was a couple of discussions, essays and interpretation for poems in school. I don't want to try to be the best or even a great author. I just want to try something new and gain the experience.

I am sorry for any grammatical errors. English is not my native language.

Dipper

2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Yeah, that's definitely the right attitude! Writing is all about trying, feeling stupid, trying again, getting a kick when something works, failing, and the circle begins again. Judging by your sentence structure you'll do fine :)

We all start somewhere, you are not alone. There is loads of information here, browse through the subforums, read critiques, and ask questions. And make friends, that's one of the most important parts :)

Cheers!

A man called Valance likes this.
  3. Dipper

Dipper New Member

Thank you.
    I will try my best. :)

Lifeline likes this.
  4. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

As someone or another said, (Sean Connery in 'The Rock'): "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fuck the prom queen."

So you'd better kick ass :D

5. A man called Valance

A man called Valance Senior Member

Now that's what I call an incentive.

Lifeline likes this.
  6. Rani99

Rani99 Member

Hi and welcome!
    Are you planning to write in english or in your native language? Or both? :)

Dipper likes this.
  7. Dipper

Dipper New Member

Hi and thank you :)
    I think I will start to write in english. Maybe later when I actually learned more about writing. And it is also a great opportunity to improve my english skills so I will stick to that for a while. :)

8. Rani99

Rani99 Member

About improving english skills you're right, it really helps. BUT. When I'm writing in my native language it just naturally flows, and when I'm writing in english I tend to search for the right words or synonims so I get lost very quickly at my story and forget what I wanted to talk about... That's a bummer.
    Anyways, good luck in your writing!

9. Dipper

Dipper New Member

Thank you :)